Piercing Cold Feat

Fhalyassa

First Post
Then is there any way I show that character with some cold based spell-like abilities can effect those that are immune to cold these her cold based spell-like abilities?

udalrich

First Post
I'm not seeing how converting the spell-like ability to a supernatural ability helps. It still does cold damage, so immune creatures take no damage. It is still not a spell, so you cannot apply the metamagic feat to it.

It would be reasonable to ask the GM to allow a Piercing Cold Spell-like Ability feat, modeled off of the other metamagic feats.

The prereq would be caster level 2, and you could only apply it to a SLA whose spell level was at most half your caster level minus one. You could apply the effects of the feat three times per day.

For example, if your SLA duplicates a second level spell, you would need a caster level of at least 6.

If you go down that path, it might make sense for you to also ask about an SLA version of Energy Substitution.

Another option would be to ask your GM if your character can quest for the knowledge and somehow gain the ability to take the feat and apply it to a SLA.

You could do something like climb the tallest mountain in the shiverpeaks mountains and commune with the elemental forces of ice and cold there. If you prove your worth then you are granted the ability.

Omegaxicor

First Post
I don't know if it is a misprint but according to Violate Spell-like Ability page, "Creatures immune to electricity take no damage from a violated lightning bolt" so that doesn't alter the OP

Drowbane

First Post
Which is why (I presume) Dandu also listed Corrupted SLA. 1/2 damage is Unholy and Vile and half would be Cold and Vile. The cold immune critter would be immune to only the Cold/Vile damage and not the Unholy/Vile half.

Dandu

First Post
I don't know if it is a misprint but according to Violate Spell-like Ability page, "Creatures immune to electricity take no damage from a violated lightning bolt" so that doesn't alter the OP

That's really odd, isn't it? I personally assume it's a typo of some sort because it would imply that, even if you turn half the spell damage into some other kind of damage, if the target is immune to the kind of damage dealt by the original spell, then the entire spell would fail to affect it, including the portion which was changed into another type of damage.

Which, again, strikes me as really strange. Of course, given how hard Vile damage is to heal, it may be an intentional thing, but you don't just see it with other feats that convert half a spell's damage to another type, such as Born of Three Thunders, nor is it a restriction in the Violate Spell metamagic feat.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases