D&D 5E How Magical or Non-Magical Should the Monk Be?

Tovec

Explorer
-Metabolic control (like the Bene Gesserit, neutralise disease/poison in their system, etc).

And most importantly: no mention of Ki.
I think the Bene Gesserit (assuming you mean from Dune) are a great example. So are jedi. That is probably why I so much dislike the Ki aspect or (psionic/magic) power sources being necessary. Also, good examples Steely_Dan.

Level 1 through 5: normal skilled guy with martial arts training and strong will power
Level 6 and onward: ageless mystic with ki fists and teleport jumps.
I think this is a little off. I was originally going to propose moving that line (say level 9?) but I realized that it's the entire view I find off.

For me monks are more mystic through and through. They may come up with new tricks or combinations or random abilities later but I don't really like the split that low levels means martial and high levels magic.
In this sense (but please don't apply it to all of monks or even my entire post) compare monks to anime. At low levels they'll have fewer tricks and at higher levels more. But the best shows try to combine them in new ways. If they can slow fall at low levels, then maybe running up walls, or sticking to them or somehow reverse falling UP them at higher? If they can high jump (please high jump and not fly/float) then maybe that distance goes from realistic/possible for regular people to 10x or 100x what is normal. Effectively granting them psudo-magic but grounding it in the realm where it is based on something that is believable.
Really good at hiding but not invisibility as the spell. Can squeeze through cracks WAY too small for them but not necessarily teleporting from spot A to spot B.

I want monks to have advanced abilities in study, meditation, prayer, and perhaps gardening, with a prestige class that specializes in genetics. They gain proficiency in homespun robes and quarterstaffs, and in return must take vows of poverty and chastity.
It seems like you have an example or joke for this? But I admit I miss it.
I do like the mediitation aspect but I don't think that all monks necessarily require that in their make up. I would advocate a lot of different types of monk, as I would recommend for any class.

I think @Neonchameleon has it right - monks are the perfect class for the kits they've been adding to classes. Call them "styles" or "paths" and give them goofy pseudo-martial-arts names like "Red Fist Style" that can be refitted for individual campaigns. I'd actually make them fairly distinct, and leave the possibility of mixing and matching on the DM's side (so players weren't tempted to make an "uber" monk by picking the most powerful maneuvers from each style).
I think this is partially right, at least if ALL classes are going to be 'select from list' in that sense. If not then I think it is much harder to mix and match monks. Often when you do this you must sacrifice necessary aspects in order to get other ones. If you don't know what I mean take a look at pathfinder's advanced players handbook. You get a lot more options but they usually do so by replacing existing features. I would prefer a core aspect of monk and then give different paths to trick it out.

My only question would be what the core mechanic should be (if any). I don't like stealing CS from the fighter, and I feel like some sort of combo system (Flurry of Blows) would be a good way of modeling this. (I wrote a whole thread with an attempt at this a while back but in retrospect I'm not sure it's the best way of going about this.)
Once again, an issue of what I see with CS.

Unrelated: I just thought of another great example, though still asian themed because non-asian themed ones are hard to find.. Have you seen the new WoW expansion video? That panda-guy is SOO a monk. That is also how I would see a monk do in a fight. Not necessarily win, but certainly not losing. Giving them something to work towards and 'acrobatics' without making it nutso. Basically an ability to tumble and use the terrain and even the enemy's weapons and weaknesses against them.

I would like a cleaned up 1st Ed Monk-deal.

Key features I would like are (in no particular order):

-Resistance to mind-affecting effects.

-Ability to heal themselves.

-Increased speed.

-Fall great distances unharmed.

-Dodge missiles/area effects.

-Commune with animals and plants.

-Metabolic control (like the Bene Gesserit, neutralise disease/poison in their system, etc).

And most importantly: no mention of Ki.

You seem to be describing a 3e Monk. And that ... didn't work (although was at least better than the 1e monk - but then the 1e monk before about level 7 was better than the rogue only at running away, falling off walls, and playing dead).

Some people will want monks jumping 30 ft straight up, with flaming fists, and Others are happy with shattering wood, catching arrows, and balancing on bamboo stalks. The monk needs to be able to handle both extremes.

Monk builds (Traditions or schools) should determine this. There should be a couple magical options, and a couple mundane options.
Ideally all builds would start more mundane and get magical as levels are gained. Don't start with fists of fire and Stephen Chow feats, and instead build up to the Wuxia (otherwise you have nowhere to go at higher levels).

Much like the barbarian. Some people want Conan while others want lightning axes, shouts, and primal magic.

Stormonu

Legend
When I generally think of a monk, it conjures up images of saffron-robed Shaolin monks, and it's just hard for me to move beyond that image. The class could use a name change with "monk" becoming an archtype/background/specialization.

I'd like to see a class that can do characters like you see in Street Fighter, Jackie Chan/Bruce Lee movies or the "Russian" Diablo 3 monk - and they're all comparable and viable characters.

If Monks are to be present, I'd like to have them emphasise the mystical elements of being an ascetic. So, yes, as their level increases I'd be happy to see them accumulate more amazing abilities of legend (leaping, damage resistance, holding breath, withering palm, etc).

Just don't want to see a spell list and/or 'blasting' powers.

Quickleaf

Legend
If Monks are to be present, I'd like to have them emphasise the mystical elements of being an ascetic. So, yes, as their level increases I'd be happy to see them accumulate more amazing abilities of legend (leaping, damage resistance, holding breath, withering palm, etc).

Just don't want to see a spell list and/or 'blasting' powers.

The DM in me agrees with you.

The player in me wants FLAMING FISTS OF FURY!!!!!

Steely_Dan

First Post
1) You seem to be describing a 3e Monk

2) And that ... didn't work

3) but then the 1e monk before about level 7 was better than the rogue only at running away, falling off walls, and playing dead).

1) 1st Ed (I grew to despise 3rd Ed, DMing it, that is).

2) It does....for us. Not sure why people use past-tense with pre-4th Ed...

3) In the campaigns you've experienced, maybe.

Your personal take on editions is that: personal, please don't state it like empirical evidence.

Mattachine

Adventurer
For a start, the name "Monk" is too specific. That's unfortunate.

If the class were martial artist, or unarmed warrior, or something else . . . more archetypes could be easily accommodated.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
The Monk is probably the best class for fighting styles and special maneuvers.

Separate the maneuvers into styles. Use what style match your setting.

Slow Fall, Speed, Unarmored AC bonus, and Flurry of blows would be for all monks but everything else is a style.

You can have the nonmagical Stunning fist grappler

the defensive self healer, resilient, striker with steel-hard skin.

Or a Shoryuken style with energy blasts, high jumps, and flaming attacks.

Or a semi-psionic style that goes the Jedi route and mabye eats the soulknife or psywarrior

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases