D&D 5E How Magical or Non-Magical Should the Monk Be?

1) 1st Ed (I grew to despise 3rd Ed, DMing it, that is).

Because "cleaned up version of the 1e monk" is exactly what the 3e monk was.

3) In the campaigns you've experienced, maybe.

According to the numbers and the abilities.

Your personal take on editions is that: personal, please don't state it like empirical evidence.

Your personal take on the monk is just an anecdote. Nothing more.

The rules on the other hand are the rules. And those are absolutely empirical evidence. If you have house rules please don't confuse them with the official rules.

Just to give everyone reading a run down of how crap the 1e monk was:

The requirements were horrible. Three 15s (strength, wisdom, dexterity) and an 11 in constitution.

Their XP chart was abysmal. It started off at 2250 for second level and worse than doubled at each level, falling behind even the magic user by sixth. In practice this worked out as worse even than the magic user at all levels because they didn't gain bonus XP for high level.

Their hit dice was a d4. To make up for this they got an extra d4 at first level. They hit second level at about the time the thief would hit third (remember that XP bonus?. Their hit points were therefore significantly behind the thief after first level - and as at first level their AC was at best equal to the wizard's this is broadly an irrelevance.

Their AC and saves? Utterly and completely terrible. Monks didn't gain an AC bonus from Dex - which automatically shafted them with at least a 1 point penalty as their minimum Dex was 15. (Remember they had three stats all requiring a 15). Sure they got a bonus to AC. A small one at low levels; the fifth level monk had an AC of 7 - or the equivalent of a Dex 15 thief wearing non-magical leather armour. (You needed to hit second level before you even had the AC of a naked thief). That said, they gained a saving throw against non-magical missile attacks. Their saves were on the rogue chart.

In short, they couldn't take a hit even as well as a rogue unless it was a case of "last man standing at the bottom end of the archery range". And remember that they don't get magic armour easily.

Their attacks? Better than presented in the PHB - they used the cleric table not the thief one (which to be fair I'd forgotten). Still, crap.

Armed? They use the cleric table and start off proficient in 1 weapon, gaining their second very shortly afterwards. They actually are very slightly better than thieves here - they gain a +1 to hit at low level, more at higher because they use the cleric table and + 1/2 level in damage - but don't get backstab. Like a thief, the best option for a monk is to carry a two handed sword and throwing darts (stupid things). That said, the monk is serioulsy nasty with throwing darts.

Unarmed? It's A Trap! (Possibly not after level 9). Monk unarmed damage is horrible until everyone else is into name territory. Level 8 monks do 2d6 damage with their open handed attack (at 3/2 attacks per round) - and don't get their strength bonus to the to hit roll. So that's a bit better than a non-magical two handed sword equivalent - or would be if you weren't likely to be fighting against large monsters (meaning that the two handed sword would be doing 3d6 damage - or in the monk's case 3d6+4 at level 8). And the stunning fist? You need to hit by 5 or more and don't gain your strength bonus. That means AC 5 at best at level 1-4, AC 3 at levels 5-6, and AC 1 at levels 7-9. These require natural 20s to trigger. Not gonna happen against anything you really want to stun.

So. The offensive combat ability of monks is actually slightly better than the thief (unless the thief backstabs) - but their ability to fight head to head is made risible by their AC and lack of hit points.

Let's look at the special abilities.

They are almost as good as a thief at most thief skills (although the armour penalty I think was a 2e thing so no bonus there). They genuinely are better at running away (fast movement) and falling off walls (slow fall) although aren't as good at climbing them. Less likely to be surprised is nice. At level 3 they can talk to the animals. Level 4 and 5 are a couple of resistances - mind reading and slow. Level 6 they can play dead. Level 7 they gain a truly weedy self heal 1/day that doesn't make up for their hit points.

We have this pile of non-synergising abilities (the best synergy would appear to be the fall off walls/play dead/run away combination) - they are a second rate rogue at rogue stuff (and rogues were known to be the weakest class - although fighters got a huge and needed boost with Unearthed Arcana). That said, the surprise bonus is nice.

They can't mix it up in combat until high level because they fall over only slightly less easily than a wizard (awful AC, d4 hit dice although they do get a bonus one).

But I suppose they are better at throwing darts than the rogue or wizard, gaining 1/2 level to damage. And they have ... impressive entry requirements. Three 15s and an 11 - and the bonus from most of those gets nerfed.

Yes, I'm calling the rules of the game data. And the monk is a slightly tweaked rogue and worse than the rogue at most rogue stuff while not really having anything they are better than the rogue at until very high level except running away, playing dead, and falling off walls. This is seriously what you want in a class?

Rune

Once A Fool
I want monks to have advanced abilities in study, meditation, prayer, and perhaps gardening, with a prestige class that specializes in genetics. They gain proficiency in homespun robes and quarterstaffs, and in return must take vows of poverty and chastity.

Don't forget chanting!

1) Not cleaned up enough.

2) According to your opinion, it would seem.

1: Perhaps not.

2: Fine. If you have some reason to think that I am wrong that is not a simple anecdote and does in fact reference the rules, I'd be delighted to see it. But all you've offered is anecdotal evidence about how you liked a class that was notoriously crap.

Certainly one of the things I was thinking of with the Monk was the Diablo 3 Monk. It was certainly fun to play, but what's fun to play in a video game does vary from what's fun to play in a TTRPG.

I certainly think the 1e to 3e system of Flurry of Blows (also known as Flurry of Misses, or as one of my friends calls it: Frurry of Bros) is never going to be in 5e, too much die rolling and it really slows things down. Maybe Flurry if it exists might be like Combat Superiority, but it definitely won't be extra attacks. I think another thing that factors into what I might want to see in the Monk is something based off of Book of 9 Swords, since that had some interesting schools, even if that book was in many ways the precursor to 4e.

As far as dealing with story, I thought they buried the idea of the Sublime Way after Book of 9 Swords, but they brought some of it's fluff back in Heroes of Elemental Chaos. So I don't think there's a lack of story ideas with different types of Monks, since they can just refer to Desert Wind and Diamond Mind.

Quickleaf

Legend
I want monks to have advanced abilities in study, meditation, prayer, and perhaps gardening, with a prestige class that specializes in genetics. They gain proficiency in homespun robes and quarterstaffs, and in return must take vows of poverty and chastity.

Don't forget brewing ale! Monks of D&D past might be able to Jump great distances, but for a true monk we need more Hops.

Mattachine

Adventurer
What about introducing martial arts specialties, like feat-chains or combat styles?

It worked nicely in the AD&D Oriental Adventures book. Martial arts of different types (including mystical and non-mystical ones) could be easily overlayed on different characters, even non-martial ones.

GreyICE

Banned
Banned
The 4E Move+Attack style was very cool, and they need to incorporate that into the Next monk. The monk should have the best battlefield mobility and that really showed in 4E. Great, great, great system.

I also liked the swordsage's schools, and think that something like that could give the monk a lot of flexibility.

So basically a combo 4E Monk/3E Swordsage would be about the ideal monk for me.

Magical? Mystical. Call it Ki, or The Force, or whatever, but let them do mystical things that are obviously supernatural.

Tony Vargas

Legend
The monk is a pretty iffy class concept, anyway. Strip 'less magical' version of pseudo-oriental cultural baggage, and it's an unarmed/unarmored thief-acrobat (remember them?). Do the same for the 'magical' version and it's a psionic or caster.

Monk should be a culture-related background in settings to which its appropriate. 'Martial Arts' should be the province of martial classes, which could be used to build a less-magical Monk. Mystical tricks that let you levitate in the lotus position or whatever should be left to magical classes (or psionics, if that's in the campaign), which could be used to build a more-magical monk. A little multi-classing and re-skinning and you should be able to play any vision of the Monk that you prefer, whether martial-artist, mystic, or various proportions of the two.

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
The monk is a pretty iffy class concept, anyway. Strip 'less magical' version of pseudo-oriental cultural baggage, and it's an unarmed/unarmored thief-acrobat (remember them?). Do the same for the 'magical' version and it's a psionic or caster.

If your point is that "all classes can be reduced to some combination of fighter, rogue, and spellcaster" that's all well and good, but it's fairly antithetical to D&D class-based design.

The monk is, IMHO, one of the best examples of a concept that NEEDS its own class to work. The monk has some aspects of all four of the "base" classes, but it still has a pretty stable and restricted archetype. (For example, he may be able to mystically heal himself but probably not other people; he can hold his own in combat but doesn't wear armor; he is acrobatic but doesn't have a special affinity for lockpicking or thievery.) In other words, it would be a mess to try to patch together a monk through specialties and multiclassing. Not to mention that the monk's key feature - unarmed and unarmored melee combat - is basically unique.

The monk concept does have breadth, as this thread demonstrates - but that just means that the class should have the same degree of flexibility that we're expecting from sorcerers and rangers and every other class.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases