D&D 5E How Magical or Non-Magical Should the Monk Be?

mlund

First Post
It's not a real class, it's a collection of cute gimmicks. The 3E monk was the weakest class in the players handbook, and its not even a very close margin. Building an effective monk was literally impossible.

I have to spread around the XP, but this. This is the stone-cold truth.

You have to pay for gimmicks somewhere. It either comes from your background and specialties or it comes out of the viability of your class. If you give one class a huge pile of gimmicks like define the monk he's not going to balance. Everyone else is either getting shorted on gimmicks or the gimmick-class is going to be gimped at doing real jobs that contribute to the party.

- Marty Lund

Steely_Dan

First Post
Well, totally disagree; I guess like most things, this comes down to personal desire.

There's a great song by Allan Holdsworth called Distance vs. Desire.

Salamandyr

Adventurer
I would prefer the monk be a background. You want to be a monk who excels at martial skill? Fighter with the monk background. You want to be a monk who flips out, runs up walls, and blends into the shadows? Rogue with the monk background. You want a monk with supernatural abilities? Wizard/Sorcerer/Warlock with the monk background.

In the default game, I would prefer that you not be able, absent magic, to make a character whose bare hand attacks are as deadly as an equal leveled fighting character with a weapon, or whose defenses exceed an equally leveled fighting character wearing defensive gear.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I hate the term "gish" with a fiery passion, because everyone who uses it has their own unique meaning for it, and NO ONE who is not BURIED in the hobby has any idea what they're talking about.
Plus, if you're really buried in the hobby, you know that it's lifted from the vocabulary of the hideously-evil Githyanki, who called their fighter/magic-users "Gish" as a sort of title. It doesn't just mean warrior/caster, it means evil githyanki fighter/magic-user.

Dausuul

Legend
IMO, the monk's specialties should be mobility and short-range battlefield control. The monk's combat strategy should be to move in quickly, use a special attack that disorients or weakens an enemy for a round or two, then spring away and repeat the process with a different enemy. Monks do poorly in a straight-up slugfest, but excel at pinning down foes while not being pinned down themselves.

Outside of combat, the monk's main talent is getting from point A to point B*. A combination of short-range personal teleportation, excellent-bordering-on-supernatural climbing and jumping, trap avoidance, and ability to ignore certain terrain hazards (e.g., suffocation) enable the monk to go where no one else can, and enhanced movement enables her to get there faster.

As far as how magical the monk should be, that can be left up to the monk player. Monks should choose from an array of class abilities with varying degrees of flashiness. Some monks seem to be no more than fast, agile unarmed fighters. Others yell "Hadouken!" and throw fireballs.

[SIZE=-2]*Key distinction between the monk and the rogue in this arena: The monk is better than the rogue at bypassing obstacles, but the rogue can get the entire party past. When faced with a locked door, the monk may be able to teleport to the other side, but can't take anyone with her. The rogue has to sit there and pick the lock, but once the lock is open, the rogue can step back and let the meat shields take point.
[/SIZE]

Last edited:

Tovec

Explorer
The 3E monk was the weakest class in the players handbook, and its not even a very close margin. Building an effective monk was literally impossible. .
I guess it depends on what you define as weak. And what you define as effective.

I've played a bunch of monks and they are almost always the most effective member of the party, or at least top half regardless of group.

Are they a fighter? No. Do they replace the fighter? Usually no.
Are they a rogue? No. Do they avoid obstacles like a rogue? Yes.
Are they a wizard? No. Are they as squishy? No. Do they perform extraordinary fears? Yes.

It all depends on what you are looking for from the class. I've tried to appeal to the ascetics of the monk but we have clearly moved onto abilities so I'll discuss that.

What do all those resistances, avoidance and "cute" bonuses amount to? Well together they create a class that can live through most any encounter. They aren't a fighter and it is has been a real problem to try and fix people of that view.

If you take a fighter and make him a monk then he'll be a poor monk. The same goes the other way.

While they need a certain amount of 'martial artist' and combat effectiveness they don't need to be the only ones who do so. They also significantly need the "cute" extras that are typically restricted to rogues. That is something you aren't going to get by just making a rogue or a fighter, you need aspects of BOTH to make a good monk.

3.) Hard to capitalize on or integrate into a team game
You bring up "team"-ness later as well but I'll cover it here.

Who says DnD IS a team game?
Who says it HAS TO BE one?
Who says DnD can only be one?
Who says you can't run non-team oriented games?

The (correct) answer to all of those is NO ONE. That makes your comments about DnD being a team game very irrelevant. Especially since we can't (as a community) seem to agree if DnD is or should be a team game.

That is just a minor nit-pick that has nothing to do with your overall comments about monk.

1.) Everyone can heal themselves with Hit Dice in 5E and as a Fighter the Martial Artist is the best at it.
2.) Mid-combat healing is more restricted in 5E.
3.) 4E Fighters could already self-heal with powers.
4.) The Martial Arist Combat Superiority tree could easily include an option to use Hit Dice mid-combat.
Everyone in 4e and 5e (so far) can heal themselves. But the thing that you (and apparently WotC) are ignoring is IF THEY ALL SHOULD. I'm firmly in the camp that they shouldn't.

As healing (both natural and supernatural) are highly contested debates I would suggest that perhaps you need to find another and more convincing argument against that aspect of the monk.

3.) Cuts into the Elven racial ability - terrible for a class that should be open for everyone, OK for a specialty.

2.) Cuts into the Dwarven racial ability - terrible for a class that should be open for everyone, OK for a specialty.
Wait... when a class cuts into racial features that is bad? When it DOESN'T cut into class features that is good?

Put another way.
X shouldn't be allowed because elves/dwarves get that.
Y shouldn't just be a monk feature, it should be a fighter/rogue.

I'm sensing some inconsistencies. It is like saying monks are bad because they grant darkvision/low-light and no one should ever get that except from their race. Oh but if monks DO have that then they should have to share it with any other class too.

It all just illustrates how big a train-wreck the AD&D / 3E monk class was.
We get it, 3e = bad, 4e = good.

AD&D/3E Monk - he knows Kung Fu and he's still one of the last guys to get picked for the dodge-ball team.
Unless the purpose of dodgeball changed since I was a kid, you would DEFINITELY want the guy who can't get hit and is immune from being kicked from the game or otherwise removed from your team. Those exception abilities and immunities make monks like the best dodgeball players ever. Plus, every monk I've ever played can't be hit or killed so..

I would prefer the monk be a background. You want to be a monk who excels at martial skill? Fighter with the monk background. You want to be a monk who flips out, runs up walls, and blends into the shadows? Rogue with the monk background. You want a monk with supernatural abilities? Wizard/Sorcerer/Warlock with the monk background.

First, a fighter with the monk background I get.. ish.
Second, a rogue with the monk background I get.. ish
Third, a wizard with the monk background.. I don't get.
Fourth, you didn't even try to say cleric with the monk background... and monks are SUPPOSED to be clerics so...

Fifth, all the backgrounds we have seen so far are relatively minor. They grant a couple +3's to certain skill checks. So how do you replace an entire class with those?

Sixth, what happens if you (as they have already expressed) don't want to use backgrounds and yet still want to play a monk?

Seventh, what do you have to give up in order to be a monk with this system? This is of course assuming you solve the 5th question's problem of actually using backgrounds to create monk abilities.
Because assuming you use something other than backgrounds to create a monk, such as specialties/traits/whatever they're calling them now, you won't be able to be an archer anymore because all of your specs/traits are now ALL monk.

Eighth, monk abilities can't be easily summed up in a small background. They aren't like "growing up poor; get a +3 on all poor-related checks". They are like "spend whole life training your mind and body (and soul?) to be better than you would have been otherwise; gain J,K,L,X,Y,Z,A,B,C,D abilities". Note, abilities =/= not skill checks.

GreyICE

Banned
Banned
If your monk is the most effective member of the party, the party has really done something terribly wrong. I'm not talking about optimization. I'm not talking about using the fixed melee classes like Warblades and Swordsages. I'm talking that a barbarian can pick up a big 2 handed weapon and just go to town.

- 3/4 BAB is not worth getting an extra attack. The fighter will have the same number of attacks as the monk at a large number of levels, thanks to the 3/4 BAB

- The monk's attacks will miss more frequently, thanks to that 3/4 BAB, and he gets the same number of them.

- The monk's damage will be less than the Barbarian's damage, thanks to the 150% scaling on strength from 2 handed weapons. And the weapon starts off with more damage.

- The monk makes much worse use of spells. When Haste becomes a thing, the Monk gets very weak haste attacks. The Barbarian gets very good haste attacks.

- The barbarian trades a bunch of those fiddly class features for the Uncanny Dodge feature (great) and the Rage feature (great) both of which play to the class' core competency.

- The monk gets free healing. The Barbarian gets huge hit dice so he gets those HP too.

- If you get into a fight with a low AC/high HP monster where the monk's flurry can theoretically pull ahead (and you're on one of the few levels where the monk actually gets an extra attack out of it) the barbarian can just spend his high BAB on 1.5 modified Power Attack strikes. Thus pulling ahead.

The barbarian is infinitely better at charging, since Flurry doesn't apply. The barbarian is infinitely better whenever movement is involved.

So basically the Monk looks really horrible next to the barbarian. In return he gets at like level infinity a once per WEEK save or die that relies on two separate attack rolls. Because the wizard won't have 5 or 6 of those on a daily cooldown at that point.

I could buy it at like... maybe level 1 or 2? But past that there's no way a monk catches a Barbarian even. Now lets discuss what a Druid can do...

P.S. If you wanted to fix him, you could make it so he could use flurry even when moving or charging and move his BAB to full. Sadly, he'd STILL be weak, but at least he'd be better.

P.P.S. Who made D&D a team game? Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson.

Last edited:

Salamandyr

Adventurer
First, a fighter with the monk background I get.. ish.
Second, a rogue with the monk background I get.. ish
Third, a wizard with the monk background.. I don't get.
Fourth, you didn't even try to say cleric with the monk background... and monks are SUPPOSED to be clerics so...

My bad, I don't think too hard about clerics because I find them redundant. But it seems to me you've extrapolated just fine. A monk with divine powers is a cleric with the monk background. Yay!

Fifth, all the backgrounds we have seen so far are relatively minor. They grant a couple +3's to certain skill checks. So how do you replace an entire class with those?
That's all the monk is...a background. Someone who lives in a monastery as part of a monastic order is a monk. What they've trained to do there is an entirely different thing.

Sixth, what happens if you (as they have already expressed) don't want to use backgrounds and yet still want to play a monk?

Then you do the same thing do if you're playing in my B/X game. You tell everybody, "My fighter was raised in a Monastery, so he's a monk"

Seventh, what do you have to give up in order to be a monk with this system? This is of course assuming you solve the 5th question's problem of actually using backgrounds to create monk abilities.
Because assuming you use something other than backgrounds to create a monk, such as specialties/traits/whatever they're calling them now, you won't be able to be an archer anymore because all of your specs/traits are now ALL monk.
Being a monk shouldn't grant anything particularly special. If you want to be an archer, make an archer, call him a monk. Done.

Eighth, monk abilities can't be easily summed up in a small background. They aren't like "growing up poor; get a +3 on all poor-related checks". They are like "spend whole life training your mind and body (and soul?) to be better than you would have been otherwise; gain J,K,L,X,Y,Z,A,B,C,D abilities". Note, abilities =/= not skill checks.
Actually they can. A monk is someone raised in a monastery who has taken vows. It's actually a lot simpler background than being the son of landed gentry. Monk is NOT all about "spend whole life training your mind and body (and soul)" That just as easily describes a fighter, or even a rogue, or even, in some cases a cleric. Heck, I could use that same schtick to describe a sorcerer. That's a question of motivation, not character class.

GreyICE

Banned
Banned
They've said every class that was in the PHB will be in Next.

Lets assume the monk won't be a background or theme or something, and move on.

mlund

First Post
They've said every class that was in the PHB will be in Next.

Lets assume the monk won't be a background or theme or something, and move on.

They said they ideally wanted every class that was in the PHB be represented in the Core for Next. Nobody ever promised you a stand-alone class with the same name and your favorite pile of features from your edition of choice. There very well could be no Class named "Barbarian," "Monk," "Warlord," or "Assassin" - to name a few. We'll probably see build variants and/or sub-class handling. Just as the Warlord may find himself broken out into a sub-class of fighter or a series of specialties the various aspects of the "Monk" can be broken down into functional components that make more logical sense. Likewise, dollars to donuts you won't see an "Assassin" top-level class, rather a Rogue sub-class or build combination. "Barbarian," is obviously a cultural background, not a character class - though the rage-based warrior will represent - minus the silly magic-hating, superstitions, and illiteracy class "features" of some prior incarnations.

You can count on the "raised in a monastery" aspect to be shoved into a background. "Proficient in unarmed fighting to the point where bare hands on competitive lethal weapons," ought to be open to all characters via Feats. The "Lawful Only" alignment restrictions will probably be dropped entirely. The laundry list of self-centered immunity powers will probably need to be reigned in or pruned (the 2E and 4E Monks lacked these).

And remember: the best person at Unarmed Fighting in all the land will be a Fighter. If you want to be the Best Martial Artist and a "Monk" you'd better hope the "Monk" is a Fighter build.

- Marty Lund

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases