Big changes a'coming! Merging the D&D forums

dd.stevenson

Super KY
What about having separate forums for "In Development Games" and "Released Games"? Just a thought.

Personally I look forward to this change and hopes it works out for the best.

Walking Dad

First Post
For those who want to see how the clickable thread prefixes work, check out the news forum where I've just enabled them. You'll see it's very easy to filter threads with a single click.
I still see this as an issue:
This will be an absolutely horrid change. It will be nearly impossible to tell what a topic is about unless it is expressly tagged. Simple topics asking for 3.X character help or 4e DMing suggestions will vanish in moments to MASSIVE discussion about 5e.

Relying on the honor system and the dedication of mods to ensure that all topics are appropriately tagged is IMO, going to be more work than keeping them all separate.
Tagging has to be enforced to be consistent to be useful IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Dad
Will there still be support for non-D&D RPGs? Is tabletop non-D&D RPGs, boardgames and tabletop strategy games (like Warhammer)?

Yes, and yes.
Don't like this much...
Will we get separate "RPG", "Wargame" and "Boardgame" tags for this forum?

DragonLancer

Adventurer
I agree with some folks here... it's a nice idea but with five editions of D&D and Pathfinder it will just dilute the forum. I think it would be better to keep it as it currently is. It's much easier to find the topics for the game you want, and topics won't get buried under huge numbers of new threads.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Will we get separate "RPG", "Wargame" and "Boardgame" tags for this forum?

Maybe. But, I note that "tabletop" (or "General") had existed for years without tags, in times of higher volume than now, and seemed to work well enough.

Last edited:

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
We do have tags for RPG and boardgames already.

As for "buried under 5e discsussion" - if you check the 5e forum, or the combined example forum, you can see that this not the case. And how hard is it, really, to click on an icon to show you the game you want?

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
We do have tags for RPG and boardgames already.

As for "buried under 5e discsussion" - if you check the 5e forum, or the combined example forum, you can see that this not the case. And how hard is it, really, to click on an icon to show you the game you want?

The problem for some people is probably that you can't click an icon or two to get rid of the ones you don't want. That's maybe not a problem unless something is taking up 35, 40, or even 50% of the forum thread count.

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
On Monday October 15th we will be making a big change to the forum structure here at EN World. It's a change which we've decided that - after looking at stats, data, trends and figures over the last decade - we believe is the correct decision in view of the future of this website and its continued existence.

o from Monday 15th, the first category of forums will read:
Tabletop Gaming
D&D and Pathfinder
Miscellaneous Geek Talk & Media Lounge
This will create something of a challenge in terms of 'edition wars', and we mods will be monitoring things fairly strictly.
You do seem to be asking for more 'edition warring' by putting everyone on the same forum. That will mean the forums are more active, though. Maybe that accounts for the drop-off in splitting forums? Separating 'warring' parties?

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
I don't care for the change, but I'll live with it.
I agree. I dislike the idea being put forward, but I'll live with it.

It seems to me that it would be more useful to divide forums based on the topics of discussion (GM advice, character builds, rules theory, homebrew, etc.) rather than throwing them all into one big bucket.
I'm on board with this idea, too. I just don't have a good feeling about the tags. I used to love the old homebrew subforums, and browsed them all the time before joining the site. I was sad to see them combined. I still visit the GitP homebrew section, even if I don't look at much else on the sight.

Just adding my voice. As always, play what you like :)

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
The problem for some people is probably that you can't click an icon or two to get rid of the ones you don't want. That's maybe not a problem unless something is taking up 35, 40, or even 50% of the forum thread count.

If you click on an icon, you only get the respective topics shown. Seems you have re-select every time unless you open your threads in a new window, but it does work. So you won't see any 5e stuff if you are only looking for 4e.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases