Big changes a'coming! Merging the D&D forums

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
If you click on an icon, you only get the respective topics shown. Seems you have re-select every time unless you open your threads in a new window, but it does work. So you won't see any 5e stuff if you are only looking for 4e.

But if someone is looking for everything BUT 5E, for instance?

Libramarian

Adventurer
I think the exact opposite. That's exactly why I like Dragonsfoot

I think the net result of this is that discussions about anything but 5e will simply be driven out.
You like that OSRIC and AD&D have different forums? To me that's a prime example of splitting up forums for an arbitrary, superficial reason, rather than actually thinking about how best to facilitate discussion amongst your users. And that's not even to mention crazy stuff like Lejendary Adventures having its own forum.

You know if you look at the New Horizons forum, it produces a lot of posts but not actually that many threads. Most of the high volume posters hang out in big, rambling 20+ page threads.

If we can somehow convince ren1999 to keep all of his posts in one thread, we should be fine I think.

frankthedm

First Post
Not a fan of the proposed change, but it's your place, so Good Luck :)
He owns it, but the fan base made it what it is, for Good and Ill.
I only stopped by the legacy forum. Now I guess I won't be doing that anymore. It might not have gotten a lot of posts, but at least they were relevant to me.
Agree. These are different games. The only merger I think would be a good deal would be Pathfinder into D&D legacy since it derives directly from 3E's rules. Of course others might read more into that :hmm:, assuming somehow the move is meant to say '4E isn't part of D&D's legacy'.
This will end up being a disaster, with D&D Next threads pushing all other threads away to the oblivion of 2nd page within minutes of their posting. And for what? To increase traffic by 5%? To what end?
Agree.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
PF is an active, publishing game, not something that belongs in a legacy forum :cool:

Before going on about disasters and threads being pushed off too quickly, just have a look at the combined forum example Morris made, and you'll see that this is not the case, as stated before. Oh it may happen every once in a while, but it is not like page 2 is out of reach.

Elf Witch

First Post
I have mixed feelings on one hand I don't like have to going to several different areas just to talk about the game. A lot of what we talk about is edition free. And so I think it could add to the discussion with more people contributing. For example DMing issues, player issues things like that are of interest no matter what edition you play.

I am a little worried about 5E threads drowning out everything else. Maybe one way to discourage that is to combine threads that are basically discussing the same thing. The last time I was there, there were five different threads basically discussing magic.

Also as posters we are going to need to resit the urge to make snarky comments about editions we don't play and resist telling A DM looking for help that if he switched editions he wouldn't be having said issue.

Storminator

First Post
Sounds pretty good to me. I click on all the forums and don't often see new threads go off the first page. I'd be nice to see some more interesting traffic.

Only thing that stuck out to me was calling Pathfinder out explicitly. It's just another D&D, doesn't need a separate description.

PS

Agamon

Adventurer
Works just fine this way at RPG.net, without sortable prefexes. And the sort function will be nice. Trying to find OSR stuff in the Legacy forum is usually a pointless endeavour.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
What happens to the "General" forum?

Disappointed that editions are being merged into one giant forum if there is no way to filter only the threads you want to see.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases