War of the Burning Sky WotBS Cheat Sheets - UPDATE w/ #10 (Ye Cursed Child)

What's on your mind?

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Community Supporter COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Lama (Lvl 13)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Truename
    My communities:

WotBS Cheat Sheets - UPDATE w/ #10 (Ye Cursed Child)

My group has been slowly playing through War of the Burning Sky and having a great time. Before starting each adventure, I create a "cheat sheet" that summarizes the adventure. I've attached them below--I hope they're useful!

Erm... and it should go without saying, but SPOILERS.

Latest update: WotBS #10 | Sleep, Ye Cursed Child
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Truename; Wednesday, 22nd May, 2013 at 07:21 AM. Reason: added adventure #10

Lama (Lvl 13)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Truename
    My communities:

I've added my cheat sheet for WotBS #8--Tears of the Burning Sky. It got inserted all wonky-like instead of added to the "Attached Files" list, but you can still download it.

Edit: Derp Oh Wintry Song of Agony derp
    Last edited by Truename; Sunday, 27th January, 2013 at 08:25 AM.

Scout (Lvl 6)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore jeffh
    Adventure 8 is O, Wintry Song of Agony. Tears of the Burning Sky is adventure 6.
    Jeff Heikkinen

Now in initial playtesting, the Fantasy Infinity project!

Lama (Lvl 13)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Truename
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by jeffh View Post
    Adventure 8 is O, Wintry Song of Agony. Tears of the Burning Sky is adventure 6.
    Oh, right. The cheat sheet is correct even if the title isn't.

Member SILVER DEFENDER
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    I Defended The Walls!WotBSWotBS

Ignore Jdvn1
    My communities:

That's great! My group has also been slowly working through the adventure path and over the years, it can be easy to forget what happened 6-12-24 months ago.

You wouldn't also have an index / cast of characters, would you?
    Bring on the Funk.
    Talk hard.
    [spoiler]My internet connection sucks.[/spoiler]
    Wanna run a game? Try EN World's own PbP boards! It's loads of fun. Here are my games so far.
    Other stuff:
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kemrain
    - Kemrain the Medicated for Your Pleasure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kemrain
    I pity the thread that talks about Mr. T.

- Kemrain the Sigged.
    [spoiler]Manamana.[/spoiler]
    Hey Houston EN Worlders! Interested in Getting together? Let's meet up and have lunch or something!

Lama (Lvl 13)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Truename
    My communities:

Added adventure #9, The Festival of Dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdvn1 View Post
    That's great! My group has also been slowly working through the adventure path and over the years, it can be easy to forget what happened 6-12-24 months ago.

You wouldn't also have an index / cast of characters, would you?
    Some of the individual cheat sheets have characters included, but that's all I have.

Lama (Lvl 13)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Truename
    My communities:

I've added adventure #10: "Sleep, Ye Cursed Child." My group's just started this one, but it looks like we're actually going to finish the entire 30-level campaign! That will be a first for me. Thanks @RangerWickett, @Morrus, and all the EN World folks for the years of enjoyment you've provided.

The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    WotBSZEITGEIST

Ignore RangerWickett
    My communities:

Holy crap that's amazing. I commend you for figuring out how to play 4th edition at Epic Level, which seems to be quite the bugaboo. If you need anything for these last few adventures -- or if you just want to brag -- please post and let us know.
    Ryan "RangerWickett" Nock
    Director of the ZEITGEIST campaign saga.

The most cinematic adventure path for 4th Edition and Pathfinder.

Now available - Admiral o' the High Seas, and ZEITGEIST adventure eight, Diaspora! For Pathfinder and D&D 4e.

Defender (Lvl 8)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    D&DZEITGEISTI Defended The Walls!

Ignore gideonpepys
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerWickett View Post
    I commend you for figuring out how to play 4th edition at Epic Level, which seems to be quite the bugaboo.
    Perhaps not the right thread to ask, but I didn't know Epic tier play was regarded this way and wondered why that might be.

Lama (Lvl 13)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Truename
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by gideonpepys View Post
    Perhaps not the right thread to ask, but I didn't know Epic tier play was regarded this way and wondered why that might be.
    You know, I haven't found it to be too much of a problem. Some people have trouble challenging the superpowered PCs; others find that combat grind gets bad. I think these reinforce each other.

My PCs are level 25 and I've had a bit of trouble challenging them, but a few tweaks to my encounters fixed it. It helps that my players are fairly casual--none of the PCs are highly optimized. Combat grind hasn't been an issue, partly because the players are very familiar with their PCs (a few players are new, but most have been playing the same characters from level 1).

Here's what I'm doing to make combat work:

- Building all of my encounters from scratch. I've been doing this from (almost) the beginning; the pre-built encounters in WotBS 4e aren't very good. (I've actually been converting the 3.5e version of WotBS, rather than using the 4e version, since around mid-paragon.)

- Using a lot of "automatic" damage. Environmental effects, off-budget post-MM3 minions, terrain... I really play up the 'epic' aspect of the PCs surroundings to add things that will hurt the PCs without adding to combat grind.

- 100% post-MM3 monsters with lots of reflavoring. I search the online compendium for monsters that have the right "feel" in their powers, then gratuitously reflavor them to match the WotBS plot. Sometimes I'll add a custom power, but usually not, as I only have an hour or two to prep each week. I use the excellent power2ool.com to filter the levels I'm looking for and sort by source. It's easy to tell which monsters are "good" because they have the new-style stat block.

- Keeping encounter budgets low. I keep my encounter budgets between Lvl + 1 and Lvl + 3, with the goal that Lvl + 3 is a major challenge. I adjust the "automatic" damage accordingly.

- More monsters is better than fewer. I almost never use solo monsters, and I prefer not to use elites. I also prefer to use lower-level monsters (lvl - 1 or lvl + 0), which gives me more monsters for a given budget. The action economy is king, and the PCs just have too many ways to lock down a single monster.

- Switching it up. I look for things that will add challenge or interest to encounters without increasing the encounter budget. For example, this week's session is going to involve a lot of flight (we're starting Act II of adventure 10), so the PCs will need to protect their phantasmal steeds or they'll disappear out from under them.

- Good table control. I use lots of props to keep things moving: index cards to indicate initiative, pre-printed tokens for status effects, little plastic "gems" on the initiative cards to indicate when a condition ends. Last week, one of my players gave me a croupier stick. :-) I'm also pushy, in a friendly way, about players taking their turns quickly.

All in all, I'm really enjoying the epic tier. Combined with the WotBS plotline, it really does feel like an epic capstone to the saga.
    Last edited by Truename; Thursday, 23rd May, 2013 at 07:11 PM.

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast