National Symbols: Uncle Sam's foriegn counterparts?

Some Old World of Darkness books (especially Mage and Werewolf, where spirits play a big role) got me thinking about this whole issue. Especially since I vaguely recall an old Mage rote that if you cast it in a city, you could summon a spiritual embodiment of a city. The given example was the embodiment of Atlanta: as a middle aged "Southern Belle" type in an elaborate antebellum ball gown, that is tattered and well worn, with a polite, friendly, and charming atmosphere but obviously weary and tired.

That made me think of what would countries be like in such a fashion. The anthropomorphic representation of the United States of America is Uncle Sam. You probably know the image, a tall, thin slightly elderly Caucasian male with white hair, wearing a red, white and blue outfit, with a proud and defiant attitude.

I realized that I've got no idea what other countries have as a symbol like that. I mean, I could come up with some transparent American stereotype of a country as some kind of living representation, but I really don't know what, or if, other countries have a similar symbol of themselves.

So, to my fellow ENWorlders from beyond the USA, do you have some kind of anthropomorphic embodiment of your nation? A mythical/fictional person or being that is a national symbol?

Attachments

• 220px-Unclesamwantyou.jpg
    220px-Unclesamwantyou.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 95
  • 5424.jpg
    5424.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 179

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Only the heraldic eagle for Germany, but most of the time it is only used as caricature pictured as bankruptcy vulture.

Of course, with Germany's past, not too much of a surprise.

In that case, I nominate France's Marianne. And of course, Mother Russia.

Would the UK prefer John Bull or Britannia as its anthropomorphic symbol? The latter seems more enduring, if lacking in personality.

Edit: It seems I confuse Great Britain, the United Kingdom, and England in the preceding, where more appropriately Britannia = GB, John Bull ~ England. Is that more correct?

Last edited:

S'mon

Legend
In that case, I nominate France's Marianne. And of course, Mother Russia.

Would the UK prefer John Bull or Britannia as its anthropomorphic symbol? The latter seems more enduring, if lacking in personality.

Edit: It seems I confuse Great Britain, the United Kingdom, and England in the preceding, where more appropriately Britannia = GB, John Bull ~ England. Is that more correct?

Britannia is just Athena redressed, you see similar depictions for America and other nations - she's not really a 'personality' character or organically linked to Britain.
John Bull is definitely specifically English not generic British, you'll note the Union Jack waistcoat though - at least until recently the English have regarded the Union Flag as their national flag, not the St George's Cross. This seems to be changing at least in some parts of England, though.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

VariSami

First Post
Finland has the Finnish Maiden. And yes, the picture I'm linking is politically biased but it's the classic depiction on the matter. In case you're wondering, that's the Romanov eagle trying to tear apart a Finnish law book. The painting was made before Finland's independence, during times of weakening autonomy.

suomineito2.jpg

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases