National Symbols: Uncle Sam's foriegn counterparts?

Jon_Dahl

First Post
I hope I'm not too boring if I link you this?

Personally I'd choose King of Palmares over the Effigy of the Republic as the national personification of Brazil because it represent freedom and struggle for independence whereas the Effigy represent the Republic and is shared with Portugal. But my opinion is irrelevant and the Effigy is the official national personification (and I do like it!).

Orius

Legend
Britannia is just Athena redressed, you see similar depictions for America and other nations - she's not really a 'personality' character or organically linked to Britain.

The american version is called Columbia IIRC, but she was superceded by Uncle Sam during the 20th century

Finland has the Finnish Maiden. And yes, the picture I'm linking is politically biased but it's the classic depiction on the matter. In case you're wondering, that's the Romanov eagle trying to tear apart a Finnish law book.

So a politcal bias that's at least 100 years old and involves a completely dead political family. I think you're safe WRT to forum rules here.

S'mon

Legend
So a politcal bias that's at least 100 years old and involves a completely dead political family. I think you're safe WRT to forum rules here.

My wife is 1/4 Finnish and I type this in the dining room under a large painting of Finnish Maiden vs Russian Eagle. :cool:

sabrinathecat

Explorer
I remember that concept turning up also in a game called "The Night Life". Each town sometimes had local spirit, depending. They were sometimes rooted within consciousness of the region, and sometimes shifting to match the new persona.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
kiwi_cat.jpg

For all good kiwis

although the ANZAC Digger might be a more serious one (albeit shared with the Australians)

then there is the noble savage/Hone Heke image

VariSami

First Post

It's ridiculous, isn't it? But since russophobia (racism towards Russians) is still a thing in Finland - a serious social issue to be precise - I tend to play it safe even with historical references with a negative connotation. After all, I could have chosen any other picture but went with that for aesthetic reasons.

Remove ads