D&D 3rd Edition / 3.5 Multiple attacks with a 2-handed weapon? 3 or 3.5

What's on your mind?

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

° Ignore magnusmalkus

Multiple attacks with a 2-handed weapon? 3 or 3.5

Does anyone know of any feats or special abilities that bestow the ability to make a second attack in a round while holding a 2 handed weapon?

Rules:
    Bonus attacks from a high enough BAB not withstanding.
    The user only has two limbs - no multi-limb attacks.
    Would prefer the ability be non-conditional - unlike cleave which lets you make a second attack ONLY IF you fell your opponent.
    Will entertain either passive ability (always in effect) or # uses per day.
    It's got to be a clone-able ability, something I can build into every unit in a platoon. So no items that provide effects to only ONE unit.

Using Fighter levels I've created "Smasher Gnolls" who have a focus on Sundering. They have power attack, improved sunder, and weapon focus - Falchion (a two handed sunder-bonus giving weapon)... The icing on the cake would be if I could somehow give them TWO attacks a round ...

Can it be done!?

Thanks for all the replies!
    Last edited by magnusmalkus; Sunday, 7th October, 2012 at 10:43 PM.

Magsman (Lvl 14)

° Ignore Dandu
    My communities:

Certain maneuvers in Tome of Battle, like Island in Time, could do it.

Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

° Ignore Ashtagon
    Isn't spiked armour the usual answer to this question?
    I run The Piazza forum (http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/index.php)

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

° Ignore magnusmalkus
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
    I'm not familiar with spiked armor rules.

I need to be able to sunder with the second attack. Can you used improved sunder with a spiked armor attack?

Quote Originally Posted by magnusmalkus View Post
    I'm not familiar with spiked armor rules.

I need to be able to sunder with the second attack. Can you used improved sunder with a spiked armor attack?
    Spiked armor is a light weapon, and to get the second attack you'd need to use two-weapon fighting rules, which will further murder your chances at being an effective sunderer.

You could give them all a barbarian level and the Whirling Frenzy rage variant.

If you really want to be mean you could also use the Lion Totem variant in Complete Champion, which grants a full attack on a charge.

As far as the weapons are concerned, you can just refluff the greatswords a little to be more curved. It's not like you have to be held to the "standard" version of the weapon.

Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

° Ignore Wyvernhand
    Nets are pretty simple. You throw a net just like you would throw a dagger or club. Proficiency is encouraged, but not required (-4 to hit). If you hit the foes touch AC, they gain the entangled condition, per the PHB. The rest of the rules are right there in the weapon description of the PHB. Getting out is done with a burst check, escape artist, or cutting your way out. Holding onto the end of the rope allows you to drag a foe, or at least keep then from hobbling away with your net, with opposed strength checks governing the success of the action. Being entangled gives a -2 penalty on attack rolls, meaning that netted foes are more likely to fail opposed sunder checks. Send your gnolls in pairs. One has a net, the other has a sundering weapon.

Whips in 3.5 are pretty worthless for anything other than tripping or disarming. They can't do damage to foes with decent armor, so they are only really good for beating up existing slaves rather than taking new ones. The best way to take a slave is simply to knock it out. Non-lethal damage stacks up and brings foes down just the same as lethal. One good non-lethal shot on top of a few lethal hits is just as likely to knock a foe out as the same amount of non-lethal hits barring super high damage attacks or lucky crits.

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

° Ignore magnusmalkus
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackinthegreen View Post
    You could give them all a barbarian level and the Whirling Frenzy rage variant.

If you really want to be mean you could also use the Lion Totem variant in Complete Champion, which grants a full attack on a charge.

As far as the weapons are concerned, you can just refluff the greatswords a little to be more curved. It's not like you have to be held to the "standard" version of the weapon.
    These are great suggestions and round out the concept nicely. Thanks!

Haste grants an extra attack and various other bonuses. A weapon with the speed enhancement does too.

Might I recommend Boots of Speed?

The feat Combat Brute might also apply, depending on the gnoll's BAB.

Are you using a special kind of falchion or something? As per the weapons list, falchions have no special benefits to sunder attempts. They are simply 2d4, 18-20/x2 crit, two-handed slashing weapons.

I'd recommend a different weapon for sundering because crits don't normally work against objects. Greatswords have the largest average damage of any standard 2h weapon. If you go into exotic weapons, the goliath greathammer from Races of Stone page 154 is 1d12 and has a +2 bonus on attack rolls to sunder. It also has a x4 crit multiplier, so it's not bad at all against stuff that can be crit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
    TWF seems unlikely to be what the OP is after, but it might work.

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

° Ignore magnusmalkus
    Haste grants an extra attack and various other bonuses. A weapon with the speed enhancement does too.

Might I recommend Boots of Speed?
    I'm creating specialize ranks in a gnoll slaver army. The ability is something I'm trying to build into every Gnoll Sunderer. I forgot to exclude items among the rules listed.

The feat Combat Brute might also apply, depending on the gnoll's BAB.
    YES - If I could not find a suitable answer, I was just going to force myself to be happy with a variation of Cleve like this:

Sundering Cleave: To use this maneuver, you must destroy a foe's weapon or shield with a successful sunder attempt (see page 158 of the Player's Handbook). If you do so, you gain an immediate additional melee attack against the foe. The additional attack is with the same weapon and at the same attack bonus as the attack that destroyed the weapon or shield.

Are you using a special kind of falchion or something? As per the weapons list, falchions have no special benefits to sunder attempts. They are simply 2d4, 18-20/x2 crit, two-handed slashing weapons.
    It's not the falchion specifically; any two handed weapon gives a bonus to sunder attempts. I just like the image of hulking gnolls with huge curved blades.

I'd recommend a different weapon for sundering because crits don't normally work against objects. Greatswords have the largest average damage of any standard 2h weapon. If you go into exotic weapons, the goliath greathammer from Races of Stone page 154 is 1d12 and has a +2 bonus on attack rolls to sunder. It also has a x4 crit multiplier, so it's not bad at all against stuff that can be crit.
    It's all in the flavor. There may be better weapons... It's a good suggestion worth considering. Maybe I'll reserve the BEST weapon for the unit's Commander, that will make him even more distinctive.

Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

° Ignore Wyvernhand
    Exotic Weapon Master in Complete Warrior has the Flurry of Strikes stunt that is basically a reprint of monks Flurry of Blows, except that it only works with exotic double weapons or spiked chains. Gnolls have a nunchuck-like racial weapon called a Flindbar, which is exotic and kinda chain-like. Not completely RAW, but the intent is there. The gnolls would have to be at least 7 HD, though, since EWM requires +6 BAB to enter.

This whole trick is kinda a lot mean to any melee PCs, just for the record. A lot mean.

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast