D&D 3E/3.5 Multiple attacks with a 2-handed weapon? 3 or 3.5

magnusmalkus

First Post
Does anyone know of any feats or special abilities that bestow the ability to make a second attack in a round while holding a 2 handed weapon?

Rules:
Bonus attacks from a high enough BAB not withstanding.
The user only has two limbs - no multi-limb attacks.
Would prefer the ability be non-conditional - unlike cleave which lets you make a second attack ONLY IF you fell your opponent.
Will entertain either passive ability (always in effect) or # uses per day.
It's got to be a clone-able ability, something I can build into every unit in a platoon. So no items that provide effects to only ONE unit.

Using Fighter levels I've created "Smasher Gnolls" who have a focus on Sundering. They have power attack, improved sunder, and weapon focus - Falchion (a two handed sunder-bonus giving weapon)... The icing on the cake would be if I could somehow give them TWO attacks a round ...

Can it be done!?

Thanks for all the replies!

Last edited:

Haste grants an extra attack and various other bonuses. A weapon with the speed enhancement does too.

Might I recommend Boots of Speed?

The feat Combat Brute might also apply, depending on the gnoll's BAB.

Are you using a special kind of falchion or something? As per the weapons list, falchions have no special benefits to sunder attempts. They are simply 2d4, 18-20/x2 crit, two-handed slashing weapons.

I'd recommend a different weapon for sundering because crits don't normally work against objects. Greatswords have the largest average damage of any standard 2h weapon. If you go into exotic weapons, the goliath greathammer from Races of Stone page 154 is 1d12 and has a +2 bonus on attack rolls to sunder. It also has a x4 crit multiplier, so it's not bad at all against stuff that can be crit.

Isn't spiked armour the usual answer to this question?

TWF seems unlikely to be what the OP is after, but it might work.

Dimwhit

Explorer
Is Dragon Magazine stuff in play? If so, use the Kensai variant Fighter from issue 310. It offers a Rain of Blows feat that can be taken, which allows a second attack, with a −3 on both attacks. Also offers a Storm of Blows feat which allows a third attack, with all attacks at −6.

They have some very cool variants in that issue.

magnusmalkus

First Post
Haste grants an extra attack and various other bonuses. A weapon with the speed enhancement does too.

Might I recommend Boots of Speed?

I'm creating specialize ranks in a gnoll slaver army. The ability is something I'm trying to build into every Gnoll Sunderer. I forgot to exclude items among the rules listed.

The feat Combat Brute might also apply, depending on the gnoll's BAB.

YES - If I could not find a suitable answer, I was just going to force myself to be happy with a variation of Cleve like this:

Sundering Cleave: To use this maneuver, you must destroy a foe's weapon or shield with a successful sunder attempt (see page 158 of the Player's Handbook). If you do so, you gain an immediate additional melee attack against the foe. The additional attack is with the same weapon and at the same attack bonus as the attack that destroyed the weapon or shield.

Are you using a special kind of falchion or something? As per the weapons list, falchions have no special benefits to sunder attempts. They are simply 2d4, 18-20/x2 crit, two-handed slashing weapons.

It's not the falchion specifically; any two handed weapon gives a bonus to sunder attempts. I just like the image of hulking gnolls with huge curved blades.

I'd recommend a different weapon for sundering because crits don't normally work against objects. Greatswords have the largest average damage of any standard 2h weapon. If you go into exotic weapons, the goliath greathammer from Races of Stone page 154 is 1d12 and has a +2 bonus on attack rolls to sunder. It also has a x4 crit multiplier, so it's not bad at all against stuff that can be crit.

It's all in the flavor. There may be better weapons... It's a good suggestion worth considering. Maybe I'll reserve the BEST weapon for the unit's Commander, that will make him even more distinctive.

Wyvernhand

First Post
Exotic Weapon Master in Complete Warrior has the Flurry of Strikes stunt that is basically a reprint of monks Flurry of Blows, except that it only works with exotic double weapons or spiked chains. Gnolls have a nunchuck-like racial weapon called a Flindbar, which is exotic and kinda chain-like. Not completely RAW, but the intent is there. The gnolls would have to be at least 7 HD, though, since EWM requires +6 BAB to enter.

This whole trick is kinda a lot mean to any melee PCs, just for the record. A lot mean.

These are antagonists that you intend to put against the PCs as a DM, right? Am I getting the context right here?

If so, why does it matter? If you want them to have two attacks per round, just say that they have two attacks per round.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases