D&D 2E 2E Core Reprints Due in May

sgt-d

Banned
Banned
Awesome news! Amazon has the 2E core rulebook Premium Editions listed, for release in May!

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Advanced-Dungeons-Handbook-Rulebook/dp/0786964456/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1349671624&sr=1-4&keywords=Premium+2nd+Edition+Advanced+Dungeons+%26+Dragons]Premium 2nd Edition Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Player's Handbook (D&D Core Rulebook): Wizards RPG Team: 9780786964451: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Advanced-Dungeons-Dragons-Rulebook/dp/0786964472/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1349672511&sr=1-2]Premium 2nd Edition Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D Core Rulebook): Wizards RPG Team: 9780786964475: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Advanced-Dungeons-Monstrous-Rulebook/dp/0786964464/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1349672535&sr=1-3]Premium 2nd Edition Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Monstrous Manual (D&D Core Rulebook): Wizards RPG Team: 9780786964468: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

I know they exist because WotC need to publish books on a regular basis and they need something for that quarter, but I just can't imagine that huge of an audience for them (or the 3e reprints). The 1e books had a strong nostalgic slant and finding good copies at a reasonable price was harder.
But 3e and 2e books are easier to find, especially with the regular reprintings. At $50 for a PHB, all I think is that I could buy a brand new copy of the 2e PHB for cheaper despite mark-up.

I guess if you're a hardcore D&D fan who buys everything from WotC they're nice, or if you're a huge 2e fan with all the books they're a nice centerpiece to the collection. Both seem like small audiences.

Stouthart

First Post
I know they exist because WotC need to publish books on a regular basis and they need something for that quarter, but I just can't imagine that huge of an audience for them (or the 3e reprints). The 1e books had a strong nostalgic slant and finding good copies at a reasonable price was harder.
But 3e and 2e books are easier to find, especially with the regular reprintings. At $50 for a PHB, all I think is that I could buy a brand new copy of the 2e PHB for cheaper despite mark-up.

I guess if you're a hardcore D&D fan who buys everything from WotC they're nice, or if you're a huge 2e fan with all the books they're a nice centerpiece to the collection. Both seem like small audiences.

I disagree about the lack of desire for 2nd ed reprints. I'm sure there is a sizable fan base for 2nd- maybe not as large as 1st or 3rd, but it was around for 11 years.

And sure, original copies might still be available on ebay, but I've found that my 2nd ed (as well as old 1st ed) books fell apart too easily... build quality was crap back then.

Treebore

First Post
and they have reprints of the "A" and "S" series listed too, sweet! Surely this means Temple of Elemental Evil and others are coming too.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I'm glad for this, but unless they've disintegrated in my attic, I'm looking forward to having my 2E books in easy reach soon, thanks to a move.

That said, while I hope these prove popular, I feel that 2E was - more than any other edition - a gestalt of its various campaign settings and sourcebooks. The 2E Core Rulebooks alone aren't really enough to showcase how it was different from the editions that preceded and followed it.

Steely_Dan

First Post
I would like to know how the reprints are selling, and if they have renewed any new interest in those editions.

This is very cool, the 2nd Ed Monstrous Manual is quite popular.

sgt-d

Banned
Banned
I would like to know how the reprints are selling, and if they have renewed any new interest in those editions.

This is very cool, the 2nd Ed Monstrous Manual is quite popular.

I checked the Amazon Best-sellers list for gaming. So far, the 2E reprints are ranked about the same as the 3.5 reprints, both of which are out-selling the 1E reprints & the 4E core three. That may change, but so far, pretty cool.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases