Stat this up # 1

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Spores (Ex? Su?): As a standard action, a shroomling can release a cloud of spores. These spores come in several different varieties, as described below. Each type of spore can be used a number of times per day equal to the shroomling’s Hit Dice. Spores can be released either in a 120-foot spread or as a 40-foot ray against a single target, as noted in the individual spore descriptions.
Pesticide -
Goodberry - X berries within range become goodberries, as the spell.

I'm not so sure about the mechanic for the pesticide as given above. I think I'd just make a poison that works only against vermin. We could put the sickening effect into a different kind of spore.

Nookie

Explorer
Spores (Ex? Su?): As a standard action, a shroomling can release a cloud of spores. These spores come in several different varieties, as described below. Each type of spore can be used a number of times per day equal to the shroomling’s Hit Dice. Spores can be released either in a 120-foot spread or as a 40-foot ray against a single target, as noted in the individual spore descriptions.
Pesticide -

I'm not so sure about the mechanic for the pesticide as given above. I think I'd just make a poison that works only against vermin. We could put the sickening effect into a different kind of spore.

Ok we can seperate the spores. Thats fine by me. lets make them EX abilities. each useable a number of times per day equal to the shroomlings hitdice.

Cleon

Legend
That seems pretty good, but I'd like to add the (Su) to it. I also think the target should maybe get a new save if attacked.

That's more than covered by the RAW on being Fascinated:

Condition Summary said:
Fascinated
A fascinated creature is entranced by a supernatural or spell effect. The creature stands or sits quietly, taking no actions other than to pay attention to the fascinating effect, for as long as the effect lasts. It takes a -4 penalty on skill checks made as reactions, such as Listen and Spot checks. Any potential threat, such as a hostile creature approaching, allows the fascinated creature a new saving throw against the fascinating effect. Any obvious threat, such as someone drawing a weapon, casting a spell, or aiming a ranged weapon at the fascinated creature, automatically breaks the effect. A fascinated creature’s ally may shake it free of the spell as a standard action.

Hmm "a supernatural or spell effect" eh. Sounds like the RAW wants to make the Quills (Su) as well.

I'll update the Shroomling Working Draft.

Cleon

Legend
Spores (Ex? Su?): As a standard action, a shroomling can release a cloud of spores. These spores come in several different varieties, as described below. Each type of spore can be used a number of times per day equal to the shroomling’s Hit Dice.

I don't think we should make the usages per day HD based, since the Shroomlings only have 1 racial HD, and that's half size. It'd be better to make it a fixed number or stat based. For example, "1 plus Con modifier (minimum 1)".

Spores can be released either in a 120-foot spread or as a 40-foot ray against a single target, as noted in the individual spore descriptions.

A shroomling's a lot smaller than a Myconid, so I'm not sure it should have the same ranges. I think we'd be better off replacing this text with "Spores can be released either in a spread or as a ray against a single target, as noted in the individual spore descriptions, the range depends on the type of spore."

Pesticide - *SNIP*

How about the Pesticide spores are little more than an irritant to non-vermin and also cause damage to Vermin. e.g. they dazzle or sicken living creatures for a few rounds, and in addition do Con damage to Vermin?

I was thinking more something like.

• Magic Mushrooms No 1 - 1d4 mushrooms within a 5 ft. spread become supernaturally nutritious. This works like the goodberry spell except it targets mushrooms instead of berries. The mushrooms do not lose any of their normal properties (e.g. a poisonous toadstool is still poisonous).
  • Magic Mushrooms No 2 - 5 ft. spread. 1d4 mushrooms spring any rich soil within the spread. These mushrooms are highly nutritious and have mild healing properties, identical to berries transmuted by a goodberry spell (caster level X). e.g. a magic mushroom is a normal meal's worth of nourishment for a Medium creature and also cures 1 point of damage when eaten, subject to a maximum of 8 points of such curing in any 24-hour period.

Cleon

Legend
Oh, and how about giving the Shroomling a few of the Myconids Spore abilities, such as:

Monster Manual II Myconid said:

Distress:
These spores alert all other myconids within the area that danger is near. They are released in a 120-foot spread.

Rapport: Myconids do not speak, but these spores enable them to establish telepathic communication with each other and with outsiders. A successful Fortitude saving throw (DC varies; see individual descriptions) negates the effect, but it is harmless. Rapport lasts for 30 to 60 minutes with outsiders, but for 8 hours with other myconids. Rapport spores can be released as either a 120-foot spread or a 40-foot ray. Regardless of the release area, the communication range is 120 feet once rapport is established.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Heh, I like magic mushrooms #2.

Those mental stats are ok.

I'd be ok with the Distress spores if we can add some kind of mechanical benefit. Maybe something like "if one is aware of danger, all in range are" or something. But I don't like Rapport, since I'd prefer these to speak.

Nookie

Explorer
Shroomlings have mouths so lets let them talk :)

Mental stats look good to me.

Shroom number 2 looks slightly more appealing to me.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases