D&D 5th Edition October Playtest Packet - Magic Items, Updated XP, Monster Traits

What's on your mind?

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Somewhere in, or near, Washington D.C., USA
    Blog Entries

Ignore fba827

October playtest packet

I didn't see a thread for this already so just pointing out that i got an email announcing the october playtest packet.

after reading it through briefly, the main updates are to magic items, monsters, and the adventure (to reflect the magic item and monster changes).

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Ignore bogmad
    Yeah, just noticed this. A little disappointed at the lack of tweaks to classes, specialties, and backgrounds, but I guess they're just picking on one or two things to focus on with each update.

I can't help but be disappointed that there's no change to the Classes file.

On the other hand: The return of the potion miscibility table! :O

Quote Originally Posted by GX.Sigma View Post
    I can't help but be disappointed that there's no change to the Classes file.

On the other hand: The return of the potion miscibility table! :O
    Yay! My all-time favorite table!
    Priest: A Fantasy Hardboiled. Download the sample to your Kindle or free Kindle app!

"Lean and compassionate." -Tim Denee

Hopefully sometime soon we get the spells that the new item packet refers to--read magic, hold monster, and probably more are mentioned in the magic item doc but don't appear in the spells doc.

Guide (Lvl 11)

Ignore Manbearcat
    My communities:

I was waiting for Boots of Elvenkind to see exactly what they did in 5e as Mearls et al advised they wanted to move back to the "wondrousness" of magic items. Given that, plus the fact that there are no explicit auditory rules embedded in the current 5e Stealth system, plus the fact that this famous item notoriously interacts with the Stealth/Skill system (and given its iteration in past editions), I was curious what we would see and what we might extrapolate from that...especially considering the hard-coding of stealth rules and skill systems in the last few editions.

I give you opaque/non-hard-coded mechanic resolution/GM fiat embedded in the mechanics exhibit A:

- The Stealth rules outline prerequisites for Stealth based on Line-of-Sight (Lightly/Heavily Obscured). They are, however, silent on the auditory requirements for Stealth (eg they do not say that you suffer disadvantage on Stealth checks on terrain or in rooms whereby the acoustics - leaves, open space with 4 sound-reflective walls - do not lend themselves toward being quiet).

- Cloak of Elvenkind specifically interfaces with the hard-coded Line-of-Sight requirements for stealth (it bypasses the requirement for being obscured).

- Boots of Elvenkind interfaces with the lack of rules for auditory requirements for Stealth (nothing about removing disadvantage on terrain or in rooms whereby the acoustics do not lend themselves toward being quiet). You simply don't make a sound in these types of environments.

Now, either they are missing a section in the Stealth Rules (about having disadvantage on stealth checks when navigating dry leaves, loose gravel, creaky floors, "operating-theatre-like" rooms with sound-reflective surfaces, etc) and the Boots of Elvenkind are missing a section whereby they outline that this disadvantage is cancelled...orrrrrrrrrrrr...this is a case of heavy GM fiat embedded in two important mechanical resolution system in the game (the Stealth Rules and the Magical Item rules)...and thus, given the weight of those two systems on gameplay, we should expect this opacity/lack of hard-coding/GM fiat embedded throughout.

I've just had a flick through and, aside from the magic items and monster XP, I cannot see how the document has changed substantially since the last one. Even issues that were highlighted in Wizards articles (like the Warlock's edritch blast being too high, etc) are exactly the same as before.

I can't really see the point of playtesting this document - although admittedly, I didn't really get an opportunity to play the last one. I did playtest the first one, but they at least seemed to act on that one.

Anyway, Wizard's reps, get back to me when you've actually got something new for me to look at....

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Forgotten RealmsPlanescapeRokuganD&D

Ignore Li Shenron
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by Manbearcat View Post
    I was waiting for Boots of Elvenkind to see exactly what they did in 5e as Mearls et al advised they wanted to move back to the "wondrousness" of magic items. Given that, plus the fact that there are no explicit auditory rules embedded in the current 5e Stealth system, plus the fact that this famous item notoriously interacts with the Stealth/Skill system (and given its iteration in past editions), I was curious what we would see and what we might extrapolate from that...especially considering the hard-coding of stealth rules and skill systems in the last few editions.

I give you opaque/non-hard-coded mechanic resolution/GM fiat embedded in the mechanics exhibit A:

- The Stealth rules outline prerequisites for Stealth based on Line-of-Sight (Lightly/Heavily Obscured). They are, however, silent on the auditory requirements for Stealth (eg they do not say that you suffer disadvantage on Stealth checks on terrain or in rooms whereby the acoustics - leaves, open space with 4 sound-reflective walls - do not lend themselves toward being quiet).

- Cloak of Elvenkind specifically interfaces with the hard-coded Line-of-Sight requirements for stealth (it bypasses the requirement for being obscured).

- Boots of Elvenkind interfaces with the lack of rules for auditory requirements for Stealth (nothing about removing disadvantage on terrain or in rooms whereby the acoustics do not lend themselves toward being quiet). You simply don't make a sound in these types of environments.

Now, either they are missing a section in the Stealth Rules (about having disadvantage on stealth checks when navigating dry leaves, loose gravel, creaky floors, "operating-theatre-like" rooms with sound-reflective surfaces, etc) and the Boots of Elvenkind are missing a section whereby they outline that this disadvantage is cancelled...orrrrrrrrrrrr...this is a case of heavy GM fiat embedded in two important mechanical resolution system in the game (the Stealth Rules and the Magical Item rules)...and thus, given the weight of those two systems on gameplay, we should expect this opacity/lack of hard-coding/GM fiat embedded throughout.
    Whaaat?

Maybe we are on very opposite ends of the gaming spectrum, but to me a rules that says more or less "You simply don't make a sound while moving" (note: in ALL kinds of environments, not only those examples) is sheer beauty.
    "There is no survival without order, there is no evolution without chaos."
    "You have to see past the RAW to understand the rules of the game."
    "And rules are OVERRATED by the way!

Kung Fu Panda DM
    The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Blog Entries

Ignore Quickleaf
    Quote Originally Posted by fba827 View Post
    I didn't see a thread for this already so just pointing out that i got an email announcing the october playtest packet.

after reading it through briefly, the main updates are to magic items, monsters, and the adventure (to reflect the magic item and monster changes).
    I was under the impression that this packet would cover levels 1-10.

It appears that is no longer true?

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Ignore bogmad
    I was under the impression that this packet would cover levels 1-10.

It appears that is no longer true?
    Well, the sorcerer and warlock updates were staggered shortly after the initial release of the 2nd packet. I'll cross my fingers that something similar could happen this time.
    ... perhaps setting myself up for disappointment?

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast