D&D 5E October Playtest Packet - Magic Items, Updated XP, Monster Traits

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
There's a brand new D&D Next Playtest packet available (dated 8th October)! Updates this time round include: updated XP values for monsters and encounter building guidelines; magic items; changes to monsters and addition of traits; an update of the Caves of Chaos adventure to reflect the addition of magic items and revisions to monsters.

You can download it as usual from the official website.

Attachments

• ddn.jpg
    ddn.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 195

fba827

Adventurer
October playtest packet

I didn't see a thread for this already so just pointing out that i got an email announcing the october playtest packet.

after reading it through briefly, the main updates are to magic items, monsters, and the adventure (to reflect the magic item and monster changes).

bogmad

First Post
Yeah, just noticed this. A little disappointed at the lack of tweaks to classes, specialties, and backgrounds, but I guess they're just picking on one or two things to focus on with each update.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
I can't help but be disappointed that there's no change to the Classes file.

On the other hand: The return of the potion miscibility table! :O

Quickleaf

Legend
I didn't see a thread for this already so just pointing out that i got an email announcing the october playtest packet.

after reading it through briefly, the main updates are to magic items, monsters, and the adventure (to reflect the magic item and monster changes).

I was under the impression that this packet would cover levels 1-10.

It appears that is no longer true?

bogmad

First Post
I was under the impression that this packet would cover levels 1-10.

It appears that is no longer true?

Well, the sorcerer and warlock updates were staggered shortly after the initial release of the 2nd packet. I'll cross my fingers that something similar could happen this time.
... perhaps setting myself up for disappointment?

I guess, they are having so many files, so they can update them one by one and make changes when they are ready...

although, i am also a bit disappointed, as i was awaiting the update when i saw, L&L was coming late, but actually, for my current playtest, magic items and monster updates are more welcome than any changes to the classes (as i don´t have my players to change their characters again)

Giddy with the return of Potion Miscibility.

Monsters got a lot of changes. Orcs and others have new racial powers. The wight's energy drain is a little scarier.

Despite this not noticing a change to monster attacks/hit numbers, hit points, or AC. That seems silly.

I am not sure if to hit numbers should really be increased... xp values are now more sensible. Also you notice, especially weak monsters have new improved mob tactics, that allow them to gain up to a +5 bonus to hit without wasting any actions... which seems to make them useful.

Also some creatures have gained a little + to their attack values if i don´t remeber wrong. Classed creatures seemed to have gained a class bonus to hit (like the pries etc.) Most monsters have no class however, so they lack a bonus.

Overall i am very pleased with the magic items. They mostly seem reasonable. Now we just need some rules for higher level chars. ;)

gweinel

Explorer
Well, this playtest was about the magic items. After a first glimpse these seems good and moving to the right direction, although a more thoroughfull look is needed.
The monster got, as the playtest writes, a little refinement. Nothing more. The monster are tied to the classes and to the game mechanics. I suppose they ll have to "attuned" (a new trend word :p) all together.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases