D&D 5E October Playtest Packet - Magic Items, Updated XP, Monster Traits

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
. They're not supposed to be balanced because

[MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION] - I see your concern. My guess is that the stealth rules will have an optional sidebar with a list of conditions that cause advantage/disadvantage/etc for those groups that like that sort of thing spelled out.

Also, note that invisibility is currently almost useless for stealth (just counts as heavy shadows which ALLOW you to attempt to stealth). These boots are likewise not that useful by themselves. But invisibility + boots of elvenkind = automatic success.

slobo777

First Post
<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention -->
Also, note that invisibility is currently almost useless for stealth (just counts as heavy shadows which ALLOW you to attempt to stealth)

Being able to stealth in plain view, and with a clear line of sight to any target you wish, is very useful.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Arguments in decreasing order of importance:

It can be used as a story hook.
There is ample literary precendence.
It offers a hard rule for Charisma.
It's been in D&D before.

Counterpoints:

1 - The idea of doing something to power up your magic item isn't dependent on this particular mechanic. It's still something that can be used, especially for more complex, or rarer items, or by an individual DM, even without an official mechanic on the books that is required mechanical material. Personally, I don't understand how "I spend ten minutes oiling my magic wand and now I can use it better" is much of a story hook, anyway, but maybe that's just me.

2 - For the story hook, sure, but not for "I can spend ten minutes speed-dating these three magic bohemian ear spoons and now I'm more awesome."

3 - Okay, but why are we desperately throwing Charisma rules bones? If Interaction is a true third pillar and not just handwavey DM whatever, Charisma should have plenty to do without needing this to avoid Cha-dumps.

4 - That doesn't make it a good idea (oh, gender-based ability score adjustments, no one misses you!). It clearly didn't take the game by storm the first time, either.

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
Being able to stealth in plain view, and with a clear line of sight to any target you wish, is very useful.

Sorry, I meant that it doesn't help you succeed on your Stealth check - no bonus, no advantage, etc. A wizard with 10 dex and no trining in stealth is still going to bomb most attempts to stay hidden while invisible - UNLESS he's got these shiny new boots, that is.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
Sorry, I meant that it doesn't help you succeed on your Stealth check - no bonus, no advantage, etc. A wizard with 10 dex and no trining in stealth is still going to bomb most attempts to stay hidden while invisible - UNLESS he's got these shiny new boots, that is.

Stealth rules need a bigger section in the rule book, not necceseraly tons of rules but a lot more DM advice and guidelines would be appreciated.

Warder

Steely_Dan

First Post
Sorry if these questions have already been answered, but:

1) Are characters still limited to a max of 20 in ability scores, or with a belt of giant strength can they actually have a 29 Str?

2) I thought the Giant strengths were going back to 1st Ed values (Hill = 19, Stone = 20, Frost = 21, Fire = 22, Cloud = 23, Storm = 24), have they changed that?

Blackwarder

Adventurer
Sorry if these questions have already been answered, but:

1) Are characters still limited to a max of 20 in ability scores, or with a belt of giant strength can they actually have a 29 Str?

They are still limited but this is MAGIC, so if you get the belt of giant strength you can reach 29 Str.

2) I thought the Giant strengths were going back to 1st Ed values (Hill = 19, Stone = 20, Frost = 21, Fire = 22, Cloud = 23, Storm = 24), have they changed that?

Seems like they changed that, although until we see the actual giant states we won't know. On a first glance I'm cool with this it makes the top giants really scary which is what I expect from them.

Warder

Steely_Dan

First Post
1) They are still limited but this is MAGIC, so if you get the belt of giant strength you can reach 29 Str.

2) Seems like they changed that, although until we see the actual giant states we won't know. On a first glance I'm cool with this it makes the top giants really scary which is what I expect from them.

1) Right on, I do like set scores for girdles of giant Str.

2) Cool, so a storm giant is amongst the strongest things in the multiverse, the only things stronger having a 30, like Thor (he should have 30 special *winks*).

I can see some of the problems with the hubub over the Belts of Giant Strength. If you think they're too powerful, it is extremely easy to houserule a Constitution Save after X number of rounds of using the belt. Prolonged use inflicts some penalty...maybe disadvantage on Strength checks, etc.

Keep in mind that this is a playtest, and that this framework can easily be modified while not breaking the balance of the game.

I, for one, am extremely excited by this addition of magic items. In fact, my interest is again piqued in 5e. While the last playtest was interesting, it was a little lackluster for me.

I am really liking the direction they are taking with Magic Items.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases