D&D 5E October Playtest Packet - Magic Items, Updated XP, Monster Traits

n00bdragon

First Post
Potion Miscibility? Really?

You had a whole list of things that need to be fixed with 5e and somewhere in the top X of them was the ability to mix potions together? Is this something they need to make sure they get absolutely right before moving on to other things?

I don't really think the design team has its priorities straight.

Maybe the next packet will have a random harlot table as well.

Talath

Explorer
The potion miscibility doesn't really detract from the rules and unless they changed it substantially, it's probably the same table from prior editions.

Quick skim through: The monsters are vastly improved - and the XP awards are now sane (the zombies having dropped by a factor of 10). Rage - the only monster that now rages is the minotaur, and he gets rage 10 which might even be worth it. The Orc gets a 4e style dying strike, and goblins are sneaky gits again rather than Yet Another Mob Race.

All in all an improvement. The monsters feel different through fairly simple traits and the items ... are there. The +1 sword is in of course.

We can but hope! :p

I'm happy to see some 1E fun back in the form of potion miscibility, and it looks like we both have some classic magic items as well as some good ways to magic items unique and interesting -- though as I posted in the magic item thread, the items are way, way too common for the assumed economy to work.

On monsters ... why don't they follow the PC rules on weapons? The (medium) Bugbear uses a Large Morningstar for 2d8 damage ... will every 1st level PC search out a Bugbear to steal his morningstar? The Bugbear is as powerful as an Ogre! Though perhaps that's an oversight as some of the other humanoid monsters seem to wield PC weapons.

Last edited:

FireLance

Legend
I found it odd that they changed Armor Piercing (now called "Bruiser") for the ogre to deal damage on a roll of 5 or more, but left the fighter's Glancing Blow unchanged.

Oh well, maybe different people were updating different parts and they'll get round to it next time.

Raith5

Adventurer

You had a whole list of things that need to be fixed with 5e and somewhere in the top X of them was the ability to mix potions together? Is this something they need to make sure they get absolutely right before moving on to other things?

Agree. Tables for these very very rare events are just not necessary. Surely this is something any vaguely competent DM can workout without a table.

Last edited:

Warbringer

Explorer
Monster to hit

Something seems off...

Monsters only seem to get str bonus to melee attacks ( unless str is negative)

It seems a design rule is in play that is str or hd mechanic... I'm all for flatter math, but want a 5 hd Minotaur with 18 str getting more than a +4. ... Basically, this ferocious warring monster is as skilled with a weapon as a 1 level wizard....

Same goes for orcs, ogres, .... Etc

There should be some bonus on par with fighter progression, IMHO

GX.Sigma

Adventurer

Seriously?

It's something for people to get excited about, it shows that they give a **** about old-school gamers, it's an example of modularity, and it's a neat little detail that adds value to the experience.

Plus, it's not like they spent all month doing it. It's almost word-for-word from the 1e DMG.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
I'm liking some of the optional and experimental rules, the charisma related attunement looks great. I'm also loving that they removed the concept of body slots altogether.

Mattachine

Adventurer
Potion miscibility is still mocked by everyone in my gaming group.

What a shameless appeal to grognards and a waste of space and time.

I say that as a grognard, myself (D&D player since 1981).

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases