D&D 5E October Playtest Packet - Magic Items, Updated XP, Monster Traits

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
It's early in the process and late at night, but I don't get what "attunement" adds to the game.

"I can use all of this item's abilities after spending 10 minutes looking at it funny" doesn't seem to be any different than the typical DM handwave of "After poking around with it for a few minutes, you discover that it's powers are as follows...," which, if you're going to codify it into the rules, might be something like "During your next short rest, you learn the item's properties."

I also don't quite grok the "maximum number of attuned items." What, for some reason the universe only lets me have three items that I know the secrets of? The experimental rule is a little better, but I don't know why there needs to be a cap at all? I mean, if magic items are supposed to be direct power-ups, there's no reason to cap how many you can use, right? More power is just MOAR POWER.

There's a lot of good stuff in this, and I'm a big fan of the additions so far, but attunement specifically strikes me as largely superfluous, especially since there's no functional cost for doing it. Why not just let everyone who grabs a Dwarven Thrower (or whatever) use the Attuned properties right out the gate? Why introduce this rather pointless-seeming intermediary step?

It must be said though, that I think for the first time in about a decade, I think they got the general thinking behind magic items aligned with how I actually am going to play D&D.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
It's early in the process and late at night, but I don't get what "attunement" adds to the game.

"I can use all of this item's abilities after spending 10 minutes looking at it funny" doesn't seem to be any different than the typical DM handwave of "After poking around with it for a few minutes, you discover that it's powers are as follows...," which, if you're going to codify it into the rules, might be something like "During your next short rest, you learn the item's properties."

I also don't quite grok the "maximum number of attuned items." What, for some reason the universe only lets me have three items that I know the secrets of? The experimental rule is a little better, but I don't know why there needs to be a cap at all? I mean, if magic items are supposed to be direct power-ups, there's no reason to cap how many you can use, right? More power is just MOAR POWER.

One thing that the attunment limit does is it keeps people from having a golf bag full of wands and staffs and having a vast number of daily spells at their disposal.

Also, since they got rid of the item slots (the old rules where you could only wear one necklace, 2 rings, etc.) it also helps put a limitation on the number of powerful items a character can use at any given time.

I also like the flavor of it. Requiring people to bond to magic items before using them helps make the items feel more special and personal.

FireLance

Legend
One thing that the attunment limit does is it keeps people from having a golf bag full of wands and staffs and having a vast number of daily spells at their disposal.
Actually, it doesn't stop them - it just slows them down a bit. You can voluntarily un-attune yourself from a magic item after ten minutes of concentration, and then re-attune yourself to a new one after another ten minutes.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Falling Icicle said:

Also, since they got rid of the item slots (the old rules where you could only wear one necklace, 2 rings, etc.) it also helps put a limitation on the number of powerful items a character can use at any given time.

If magic items are optional, ain't that the DM's bag? If you don't want the party carrying around all that kit, you don't put it in the game. If you put it in the game, the party might carry it around.

I also like the flavor of it. Requiring people to bond to magic items before using them helps make the items feel more special and personal.

Sure, but this doesn't really achieve that mechanically for me. Spending ten minutes to spoon with your staff of striking and tell it how much it means to you is trivial.

To me, the ceiling feels artificial, and the extra step feels pointless. If attunement was a bigger investment and/or had a bigger effect, the mechanic might get more traction with me, but the limit (especially the arbitrary limit of "3, for some reason") still wouldn't make much sense.

slobster

Hero
I like the concept of attunement. It's probably not perfect as presented, but it's a good start, and in my opinion better than the golf bag full of magical weapons.

The 10 minute attuning period seems like it needs some work. Maybe you should only be able to attune a new item once per day? Or maybe attuning to a new item takes a hit dice? I like the idea of limiting the number of really good magical items you can use, but letting you take 10 minutes to completely switch out your loadout sort of defeats the whole point. Attuning should be a bigger deal.

I really like the look of the new magic items. No more IKEA standard snap-together items! They look like a lot of fun. Some are probably a bit too powerful, but then this is a playtest. I reserve judgement.

Haven't gotten to look too much at the monsters, but the changes I've seen to the XP values look good so far. Again, have to see it all in action.

Speaking of which . . . anyone want to do some play by post? /shameless plug :D

EDIT: Read through the monster stuff. I'm really liking it! Wights are scary now! Attack bonuses still look low, but I'm liking the direction things are moving.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases