D&D 5E Dissapointed with Attunement

I see the 10 minute attunement of use in the Organized Play.
It keeps a player from swapping out 10 different magic items in a given combat.
For home games, as people have mentioned DMs can hand wave, or fast-forward, or make it a quest and several game sessions just to attune an item.
But there needs to be a hard and fast default for the RPGA and organized play.
And while 10 minutes isn't much, it also isn't too little.

Exactly.
Although, we need to test how well 10 minutes works in play, and then WotC can decide to tweak if needed while also providing slower and faster options for the interested parties.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
PinkRose said:
I see the 10 minute attunement of use in the Organized Play.
It keeps a player from swapping out 10 different magic items in a given combat.
For home games, as people have mentioned DMs can hand wave, or fast-forward, or make it a quest and several game sessions just to attune an item.
But there needs to be a hard and fast default for the RPGA and organized play.
And while 10 minutes isn't much, it also isn't too little.

That may be a reason. That is no excuse. If the game starts greenlighting wonky rules just because they have a function in organized play, it stops being a game designed to be played at your kitchen table and starts being a game designed to be played at the convention table. The design demands on those two games are markedly different.

I also don't think it's a great reason. Due to the "raw power-up" nature of magic items, organized play can put whatever artificial lid on them it really wants to, and it doesn't have to make a lot of sense. If they don't want you to swap magic items in combat, they can just insert a rule that says that, explicitly, rather than leaning on Attunement as some sort of kludge. Or they can just forbid outside magic items, and not give out 10 magic items.

I'm also not sure what "10 minutes" gives you that "after a short rest" doesn't, if that's what you were looking for.

DocSER

Explorer
In some sense, the terms "attunement" and "prerequisite" are interchangeable (with "attunement" having a nice flavor). There are an array of "prerequisites" though; from race, to class, to quests, to simply hanging out hugging the item. It seems also to be the case in the test document that attunement allows access to additional abilities for an item -- there is still some basic characteristics to the item (like basic +1) without attunement.

Blackbrrd

First Post
That may be a reason. That is no excuse. If the game starts greenlighting wonky rules just because they have a function in organized play, it stops being a game designed to be played at your kitchen table and starts being a game designed to be played at the convention table. The design demands on those two games are markedly different.

I also don't think it's a great reason. Due to the "raw power-up" nature of magic items, organized play can put whatever artificial lid on them it really wants to, and it doesn't have to make a lot of sense. If they don't want you to swap magic items in combat, they can just insert a rule that says that, explicitly, rather than leaning on Attunement as some sort of kludge. Or they can just forbid outside magic items, and not give out 10 magic items.

I'm also not sure what "10 minutes" gives you that "after a short rest" doesn't, if that's what you were looking for.
It's probably nothing to do with tournament play, but about how many options the character will have in a single fight. You don't have 10 minutes in the middle of a fight, so now the player brings 3 items to the battle instead of a backpack full. Less time used on deciding what item to use in combat.

tlantl

First Post
It's probably nothing to do with tournament play, but about how many options the character will have in a single fight. You don't have 10 minutes in the middle of a fight, so now the player brings 3 items to the battle instead of a backpack full. Less time used on deciding what item to use in combat.

Then the question is why?

I've been playing this game in one form or another for a very long time. Never in all that time has players using what ever tools they had available been an issue.

Perhaps the reason for attunement is more for flavor than actually to limit the available power of a party in play.

The only thing it would do for me is to limit the use of multiple copies of certain items. I'm the one who is deciding which magical devices are in play, I can't really see myself giving out the same item over and over unless it's a potion or scroll.

Attunement seems like one of those rules that, unless the developers can convince us it's useful, will not be a part of the finished game.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
One of the nice effects of attunement is that it solves a problem I've been thinking about ever since looking at the Diablo magic item tables: how the heck does a shortbow make your saving throws better? For that matter, how does a piece of paper in your backpack make you stronger? In other words, how can simply having an item affect you? Now the answer is simple: you're attuned to it, and if anyone takes it they can attune to it instead.

From there you can have items that force you to attune to them, and you have to try to get rid of them somehow (like a cursed sword that makes you attack your friends), items that want to attune to other people, so you have to hang on to them (like the One Ring), items that do different things if you try to attune to them while they're already attuned to someone else (i.e., stealing them is different from being given them, like the Ring again), etc.

Though the current magic items don't do these things, attunement can do these things.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Blackbrrd said:
It's probably nothing to do with tournament play, but about how many options the character will have in a single fight.

Why does the D&D game need to set a hard absolute arbitrary limit on that? Shouldn't it be up to individual DMs to give their players however many options they feel is appropriate for the group? Magic items are optional, after all: you don't want the PCs to have a million options, you don't give them a million magic items. Real easy.

GX.Sigma said:
In other words, how can simply having an item affect you? Now the answer is simple: you're attuned to it, and if anyone takes it they can attune to it instead.

"It has a magical aura" never made sense to you as an explanation?

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
"It has a magical aura" never made sense to you as an explanation?
Not really. What's the radius of this aura? (Do I need to be holding/wearing the item? What if it's in my pocket? What if it's in my backpack? What if I put it down, then hover my hand 6 inches away from it?) What if someone else bumps butts with me? Would it get confused and start affecting them? How does it "know" that I own it?

Obviously we can just say that each thing works how it works because it's magic, but if we say that I attune to it, suddenly we have a vocabulary word that we can then use for other things. Maybe I can be more or less attuned to it based on my actions, maybe it needs to be attuned to two people, maybe it can be attuned to a location or object, etc.

Last edited:

dd.stevenson

Super KY
Another thing to keep in mind is that really flavorful attunement rules are likely to also be setting-specific.

I think the current attunement rules could use some tweaking to make them less ... disappointing, but on the other hand the core game is going to be well-served by something simple and adaptable. And the current rules certainly are all of that.

Blackbrrd

First Post
Why does the D&D game need to set a hard absolute arbitrary limit on that? Shouldn't it be up to individual DMs to give their players however many options they feel is appropriate for the group? Magic items are optional, after all: you don't want the PCs to have a million options, you don't give them a million magic items. Real easy.
?
Well, DnD has had an arbitrary limit in some way. For instance max 2 rings, 1 necklace, and so on. Now they are limiting it to 3 items instead.

About your point about "don't give them", I think that's a worse solution, especially for long campaigns. Some of the fun in DnD is getting magic items and this solution really limits you as a DM in a long campaign. For instance a level 1-12 campaign lasting several years, it will be a bit sad only getting three magic items in that time.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases