4ognard
    The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Gygax Magazine I Defended The Walls!

ø Ignore TerraDave

Best modern d20-esque RPG?

What are the best RPGs that are:

1) set in the modern day

2) use d20 or similar mechanics

3) have extensions like chase rules and psionics and other paranormal stuff.

I am of course familiar with d20 modern. Curious about what has come since.
    A semi-brief History of D&D and some other RPGs: Part 1: 1967-1979 Part 2: 1980-1989
    All the official stuff for 4e
    Bonus:

4E has rituals, use them, they're magic;
    Want to see the greatest thing you will ever see? then click;
    You can use “Earth” as a D&D setting;
    Origins of The Rouse; (look for it)
    The Rouse responds; (look for it)
    One can appreciate both old and new D&D.

Scout (Lvl 6)

ø Ignore herrozerro
    Ultramodern4 (for 4e) or Amethyst (for 4e or PF)

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Blog Entries

ø Ignore Hobo
    Other than fan projects, I'm not actually very familiar with post d20 Modern d20-like systems.

There's Spycraft which got a lot of attention for a while. I think it was a bit more crunchy than d20 Modern. There's Grim Tales, which is more of a modular toolkit for Modern, future, post apoc, or all kinds of other genres.

I think there was a fan project to convert Star Wars SAGA into a d20 Modern-like game, which might have been pretty cool, but I don't remember seeing it ever get completed.

:shrug: I'm with you there, and I'd be curious to see something else. But by and large, I'm still just sticking with d20 Modern, and I haven't yet found anything that's obviously so much better that it would convince me to switch over.

"I realize that I am generalizing here, but, as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care." Dave Barry

Magsman (Lvl 14)

ø Ignore innerdude
    In my brief, limited experience with D20 Modern, I found it to be almost exactly the opposite of what I would want out of a "modern" RPG. It tries, but doesn't quite succeed from breaking away from the D&D-isms percolating in it. I typically like my modern games to be a little more gritty than my fantasy, and D20 Modern doesn't really hit that spot.

If I absolutely HAD to do a modern setting using a d20 rule set, I'd either go with a slightly modified True20, or a moderately modified Star Wars Saga with a grittier wound track.

(But of course, I'd take Savage Worlds six days a week and twice on Sunday before trying to shoehorn a modern game into d20 rules.)
    Battling the worldwide midget infestation since 1987.....

Magsman (Lvl 14)

ø Ignore Dragonblade
    Spycraft 2.0. Its a standalone OGL game superior to its predecessor Spycraft 1.0 (1.0 is technically a d20 game requiring the orginal WotC PHB to play), but Spycraft 1.0 has a lot of good stuff in the Shadowforce Archer setting for a modern day urban fantasy game with magic and psionics rules, classes, and feats that are easily convertable to the 2.0 edition and have a distinct modern feel that sets them apart from WotC's 3e era psionics and magic rules.

Also, I recommend True20 and its superhero focused cousin, Mutants and Masterminds. True20 is a universal system that can do fantasy, modern, or whatever. It doesn't use HP, but its easy enough to add them back. I'm a big fan of True20, myself.

Another d20 die based system (though predating WotC's "d20" system, there are similarities) is all the Palladium Books stuff. Ninjas and Superspies can be a fun gonzo modern setting, though it comes with the usual caveats about Palladium's wonky rules. Still its easy to house rule into working order. I played a lot of Palladium in my high school days and still have many fond memories of those games.
    Last edited by Dragonblade; Tuesday, 9th October, 2012 at 09:11 PM.

I would also recommend Spycraft as well. Seemed to handle that category better than most.
    My Groups Kickstarter - Apocalyptica Chromatics Playing Card Deck http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...s?ref=category

4ognard
    The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Gygax Magazine I Defended The Walls!

ø Ignore TerraDave
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. I am familiar with many of them...

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo View Post
    Other than fan projects, I'm not actually very familiar with post d20 Modern d20-like systems.

There's Spycraft which got a lot of attention for a while. I think it was a bit more crunchy than d20 Modern. There's Grim Tales, which is more of a modular toolkit for Modern, future, post apoc, or all kinds of other genres.

I think there was a fan project to convert Star Wars SAGA into a d20 Modern-like game, which might have been pretty cool, but I don't remember seeing it ever get completed.

:shrug: I'm with you there, and I'd be curious to see something else. But by and large, I'm still just sticking with d20 Modern, and I haven't yet found anything that's obviously so much better that it would convince me to switch over.
    Apparently I have XPed you recently...and you think there would be more out there (maybe there is, hence the thread!). I do appreciate the Grim Tales reminder, good stuff.
    A semi-brief History of D&D and some other RPGs: Part 1: 1967-1979 Part 2: 1980-1989
    All the official stuff for 4e
    Bonus:

4E has rituals, use them, they're magic;
    Want to see the greatest thing you will ever see? then click;
    You can use “Earth” as a D&D setting;
    Origins of The Rouse; (look for it)
    The Rouse responds; (look for it)
    One can appreciate both old and new D&D.

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

ø Ignore Evenglare
    My vote goes to Radiance RPG . It's completely free so check it out! It's not "modern" in the sense of real life today kind of stuff, but it has steamgear and electrotech , even stuff on airships and space exploration. It can be used in pretty much any genre or setting .

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

ø Ignore (Psi)SeveredHead
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraDave View Post
    What are the best RPGs that are:

1) set in the modern day
    Too many to list.

2) use d20 or similar mechanics
    D20 Modern, Spycraft or mods of Alternity or Star Wars Saga Edition (seriously, I went through a short campaign, and wanted to use that as a base for Modern ... although I still prefer Modern's classes).

3) have extensions like chase rules and psionics and other paranormal stuff.
    Dark Matter had some pretty cool FX rules. Spycraft has amazing chase rules.

But I think the best rules system for modern gaming is FATE. D20 is too complicated for dealing with modern technology. FATE is so rules-light it handles sci-fi better than Alternity. It handles contests like hacking in a very abstract manner and can easily combine with reputation wars and stuff like that.
    Last edited by (Psi)SeveredHead; Wednesday, 10th October, 2012 at 12:27 AM.
    If your D20 Modern PCs don't fear guns, use a bigger battlefield! Smaller battlefields are melee friendly. Cool battlefields in the Forest and Woodlands section of http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/dungeonsunlimited/
    You cannot spend more power points on a psionic power than your manifester level. The metacap is there for balance reasons.
    XPH errata: You can only use a mindfeeder once per day.
    Random map generator by TogaMario: http://www.enworld.org/showthread.ph...24#post2379924
    D20 Modern/DnD/T20 NPC wiki: http://d20npcs.wikicities.com/wiki/Main_Page

Since I don't see it mentioned, there is CoC d20, which is a very simple set of rules but does do modern and supernatural both pretty well. Of course, you have to be willing to watch your PCs go insane.
    "Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose"

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast