D&D 5E Question about skills

Midnight Dawns

First Post
Ok I feel like I am missing something here. What are the skills and how do you train in them? I see plenty of references to skills but nothing concrete about them. Where is the infro on them?

1of3

Explorer
You get skills from your Background and maybe your class. This offers a +3 bonus, which can be increased at certain levels according to the level up table.

tlantl

First Post
the packet mentions training new skills but at the moment you only get those that come from backgrounds race and class.

I'm not too sure about any racial skills just now but there are class associated skills for the mage, cleric, and rogue.

AeroDm

First Post
I think one more key difference between earlier editions and 5e is that your skills improve much slower. The main way skills improve is by your ability scores increasing (via stat raises) instead of adding additional skill points or 1/2 level. As a result, if you're trained in a skill at lvl 1, you will be about as good at that skill as you will be at level 10.

Personally, I like this change, but it is a substantial variance from earlier editions.

edhel

Explorer
Thanks. This clears it up for me. Skills are one of the most important features to me so I have been really worried about how they will be done.

Unlike AeroDM says, you can raise your skill(s) every second level or so up to +7. Mechanically they're just as uninteresting as before - plain task resolution - mostly working as a niche protection mechanic instead of serving the drama.

IMHO this is one of the things D&D could just revise completely, or maybe offer as a simple addition to ability checks. There are so many new/indie rpgs with great innovations that make skills - and conflict in general - much more interesting.

These games should be shamelessly plundered for ideas and mechanics.

cmbarona

First Post
Ok I feel like I am missing something here. What are the skills and how do you train in them? I see plenty of references to skills but nothing concrete about them. Where is the infro on them?
To answer your last question, look at the latest "Backgrounds" document. That contains the most information on skills.

I, too, think these documents could have either been labelled or organized a bit more clearly.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases