Intro: New player on the board, and to the game!

I could not find an intro forum, so I guess I'll post here.

I'm new to DnD, for the most-part. I played a round once back in high school, 20 years ago. The DM was a bit of a problem, so I never returned.

Now I found a new friend who also played many years ago, and we're interested in getting some games started. Both of us are very un-practiced, but we're having fun giving it a shot!

So far I've gotten the 1E DMG reprint, and the 1E MM is in the mail. Though I will be getting the 1E PHB soon, he still has his original PHB.

I've found that holding his PHB (sounds dirty :]) actually seems to elicit some interesting feelings of awe and nostalgia of the old days, that I have not felt when looking upon or holding anything newer.

I have an account on the wizards forums also. When I ask questions I get great answers. But there seems to be something missing, like the warmth of a nice fire in the woods. I'm hoping I can feel something a bit more here. B-)

Also, just a little show-off; in all my excitement to be able to play a game I haven't had time for in so many years, I made this dice bag. I was going for a specific look and feel, medieval. The fabric is felt, the thread is hemp, and the pull string is whipped. If I find a clasp that's more in line with the theme, I'll replace the one I have on there now.

Attachments

• Dice Bag 2 800x600.jpg
    Dice Bag 2 800x600.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 72
  • Dice Bag 1 800x600.jpg
    Dice Bag 1 800x600.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 57

I went to a local tabletop gaming store yesterday, who have game night on Wednesdays. Was going to watch and learn, but they told me to join in. So, I got to play a nice Encounter game. In the interest of time, I played a pre-made character, human fighter with only a warhammer for a weapon. Well, I managed to kill 2 of 4 orcs, accidentally killed one of my allies due to a "mist of darkness" by mistaking him for an enemy and smashing in his face with my weapon. Oh, and I also misjudged the trajectory of a table I was throwing and hit another ally, dealing her a good bit of damage. All in all, a pretty good first game! :D

Razjah

Explorer
Tables truly are the most dangerous weapon of war.

Welcome to EN World!

If you and your friend end up wanting more people, aside from your local game store, I recommend Gamers Seeking Gamers. It can help you find stores, groups, and gamers in your area.

ragboy

Explorer
AwesomePossum -- Welcome back to the game and to ENWorld.

This is by far the friendliest RPG board out there, in my opinion. However, if you guys are playing AD&D -- you might also give a gander to dragonsfoot.org. They are specifically an "old school" game site. They are also very open to newcomers/returners to the game, and there's lots of content relevant to the older editions (including full adventures, etc). They do get a bit prickly if you bring up editions of the game newer than 2nd edition, though.

Personally, I like to hit both -- it's good to keep your gaming circles wide. And I'll second the Gamers seeking Gamers forum here on ENWorld -- great resource. I'd also recommend the Story Hour forum here on ENWorld -- very entertaining to read about other folks' campaigns.

Wolf Brother

First Post
Its early in the morning where I am and I am new to the forum, but played D&D all through Middle School, High School and College starting with the Red Box back in the 80's before moving on to 2nd Edition until College was over. Played for a year with friends back when 3.5 came out. Never played anything newer than that. Have read through the Pathfinder Core Book which seemed cool.

I am moving to a new area of the country and at the same time have been getting very nostalgic for the old days of D&D gaming. I was heavily into Video Games for a while (Xbox) but it started to be overly expensive and a bit of a headache. Been longing for the days of unlimited possibilities with Pen & Paper. I think the combination of nostalgia, stuff like HBO's Game of Thrones, and the D&D Next announcement started me wanting to get back into D&D. Also I like a lot of the Retro-clone stuff, Myth & Magic, Dark Dungeons, and For Gold & Glory is all pretty cool. Tried to get into Magic The Gathering but so far haven't done much with it beyond collecting the cards for the cool artwork! Also found the Robot Chicken D&D adventure with Chris Perkins and the Pax Acquisitions Incorporated on YouTube which was a blast to watch! Really made me want to get back into it! B-)

I will be living close to where Gen Con is held (may try to go since I will be in the area) and am looking to find a group to play with at some point (once I am settled) so that I start making adventuring friends. I am a dude who will be balancing my family (wife and 2 kids) with work but want to find an outlet. D&D would be inexpensive outlet like the old days before $60 video games!

Anyway, just dropping a line to say hi!

Wolf :)

DM_Wannabe

First Post
I too have recently returned to my D&D roots. I played in Jr High and High School, starting out with Basic and moving on to AD&D1e. After graduation, the playing group split up and other than a brief foray into 3e in 2000, I haven't really played much over the past 25 years. But now I'm trying to make up for lost time.

GreyLord

Legend
AwesomePossum -- Welcome back to the game and to ENWorld.

This is by far the friendliest RPG board out there, in my opinion. However, if you guys are playing AD&D -- you might also give a gander to dragonsfoot.org. They are specifically an "old school" game site. They are also very open to newcomers/returners to the game, and there's lots of content relevant to the older editions (including full adventures, etc). They do get a bit prickly if you bring up editions of the game newer than 2nd edition, though.

Personally, I like to hit both -- it's good to keep your gaming circles wide. And I'll second the Gamers seeking Gamers forum here on ENWorld -- great resource. I'd also recommend the Story Hour forum here on ENWorld -- very entertaining to read about other folks' campaigns.

I too have recently returned to my D&D roots. I played in Jr High and High School, starting out with Basic and moving on to AD&D1e. After graduation, the playing group split up and other than a brief foray into 3e in 2000, I haven't really played much over the past 25 years. But now I'm trying to make up for lost time.

I was also about to suggest Dragonsfoot.org

Much friendlier to the 1e folks than what I've seen around here many a time.

This site does have some older gamers...but overall normally is geared towards the newer gamer with editions that are quite different than what you are used to.

You still will have those that can answer and discuss your questions about AD&D here on ENworld though, the key audience typically leans another way though.

In either case, Welcome to ENWorld.

If you are Big into the 3e thing this is the perfect place!

Don't know which one you are into though (speaking to the latest post, not the original), however this site caters to ALL versions moreso than Dragonsfoot so this may be the perfect site for you as well.

It's about the perfect time to get into gaming with the 1e reprints recently, a rendition of 3e (Pathfinder, you can also get it free if you look up Pathfinder PRD online offered by Paizo), and of course the in creation process for the Next version of D&D which you can be a part of!

Salutations and Welcome.

Last edited:

Remove ads