D&D 5E Magic Item Rarity: Just be glad...

GameDoc

Explorer
... that after stating the six levels of rarity in the playtest packet, the next paragraph was NOT:

"Magic items are uncovered in packs of six. Each pack contains three random common magic items, two uncommons, and one item of either rare, legendary, or artifact status. In every 100 packs, 60 will contain a rare item, 30 a legendary, and 10 an artifact. You may trade items with your fellow adventurers and try to build a compete set. Also, special foil embossed artifacts will be given away to the winners of sanctioned dungeon crawls. Check with your local magic item shop to learn more about officially sanctioned crawls."

I mean, come on. This is Wizards of the Coast we're talking about. I think they showed remarkable self-restraint by not putting that in there.

:D

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Because there are so many elements of MTG in 3E, 3.5 and 4E?

It was a cute joke when they first bought the company, but a decade later, it's pretty clear they're not going to cross the streams, despite how many people want a Dominaria setting for D&D. (I'm not a MTG player myself, I'm just saying.)

GameDoc

Explorer
Because there are so many elements of MTG in 3E, 3.5 and 4E?

It was a cute joke when they first bought the company, but a decade later, it's pretty clear they're not going to cross the streams, despite how many people want a Dominaria setting for D&D. (I'm not a MTG player myself, I'm just saying.)

D&D Miniatures (prior to the just-released Dungeon Command iteration) and 4e Fortune Cards (usable in sanctioned Encounters and Lair Assault events) have both been marketed under this model.

For miniatures it was a huge gripe for fans who had no interest in the competitive skirmish game and just wanted the minis they needed for the characters and monsters for their RPG. Paizo even took a dig at them on it when they first released their own Pathfinder minis with the slogan "Because your encounters should be random, not your miniatures."

I agree that it looks like they aren't crossing the streams moving forward, but this seems to be a decision they only made in the last year or so.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases