A non white male middle class British Doctor?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I predict a black Doctor either next, or the one after. I do not predict a female Doctor any time soon, unless as a short gimmick within an episode. I don't think we'll ever see a non-British Doctor.

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
I get the feeling that the Doctor being british is more crucial to non-brits than brits.

For me, it isn't so much the explanation, as the execution and characterization.

In any Doctor change I expect them to keep true to the character. This is as true of him regenerating into a black man, a woman or an Australian. But for him turning female, I would also require some kind of an explanation. I'm open to handwaving, though.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
But for him turning female, I would also require some kind of an explanation. I'm open to handwaving, though.

What sort of an explanation? Timelord regenerations are established as being able to change gender. What more explanation would you need?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Why hasn't it happened until now?

It has. The Corsair mentioned in The Doctor's Wife changed gender.

Romana's regeneration sequence where she "tried on" various bodies additionally suggests that sometimes a Time Lord can choose his/her forum. In a Sarah Jane Adventures episode, Matt Smith's Doctor confirmed to Clive that he could regenerate into anything. Melody Pond is evidence of skin colour changes (she was white, then black, then white again).

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9D-2HJMD9s]The Doctor can regenerate 507 times - Sarah Jane Adventures - YouTube[/ame]​

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Yes. You misunderstand: Why hasn't the Doctor switched genders until now?

If I were to develop an ic rationale I'd make it something of a personality issue, the Doctor's id is a white British male.

While I could go with a transitional female form I wouldn't be keen on permanently female doctor simply because it would change the personality, but then I'd get over it and consign Doctor Her to the same space as Colin Baker:)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases