More Gamer Drama

Elf Witch

First Post
Not knowing what Stephanie had been through with Rex if it was me I would flat out ask why the drama.

At my age I have no patience for this kind of crap. Unless we are talking about some kind of physical violence and she was really afraid then my attitude would be hey Stephanie put on your big girl panties act like adult you certainly don't need your boyfriend to play white knight.

Several years ago we had a married couple who played in our games and it ended up being a nightmare. If she had an issue she would never speak up she would get her husband to confront and deal with any issues.

And at the game she would order her husband around like a servant for example say she wanted him to get her drink she would hold her glass to him and bark drink. Please would you did not seem to be in her vocabulary.

All of us just felt uncomfortable with the way she treated him and the fact he allowed her to treat him this way.

She also would give him dirty looks or give long suffering sighs if she didn't like what he was doing with his character. It made him real nervous and prone to major blunders.

Finally the DM needed a break and we decided to play Shadowrun a game she hated. Her husband played nad it was like day and night he was more relaxed and a much better player than we had seen.

Wycen

Explorer
A game I was in died a couple weeks ago. A loud mouthed jerk, LMJ, is the culprit. He was vouched for by one person and we figured their judgment was good enough. We had met the jerk for a character creation session before we started playing so he hadn't earned the jerk title yet. Initially, everything was fine, but in our first or 2nd session we had a stand off between essentially 2 factions within the party; 2 people who didn't want us roughing up and intimidating an NPC vs. the LMJ, myself and maybe others who thought it was ridiculous for them to claim we were perverting the course of justice and then there was everybody who sat quietly.

We got past that. Unfortunately, LMJ was derisive of the actions and words of other players. He wouldn't say "damn you are stupid" rather it would be "oh god you're supposed to be our diplomat?" Being one of people mentioned in these verbal slips of the tongue, I figured at first I'd ignore them and grow a thicker skin. No big deal.

Unfortunately, his next personality trait got under my skin. He is a know it all, even though he didn't know it all. Never tell a history major something he personally knows is wrong and has a personal attachment to.

After that I noticed he'd use the volume and confidence in his voice to attempt to pronounce the answer to rules questions. "How much damage does a great axe do?" "6 dice!" Flip through the book, oh look at that, it does 7 dice. I can see this may have been an attempt to have the game continue without a pause to look rules up, but I like getting the rules right.

This is all very well and good and nothing really horrible, (except maybe an email between LMJ and the uphold the law guy). Things got complicated when the LMJ became roommates with some of the other players. Suddenly those of us who were not fans of the LMJ felt like we'd be creating drama between the roommates if we made waves.

It finally fell apart when the party went to talk to the sheriff about a prisoner, and the LMJ attacked and killed guards in front of the sheriff. I suspect that if the up hold the law guy had been present the game would have died from a battle between party members, but he was on a trip. I tried using a spell to stop the battle, but it failed, one roommate helped the butcher kill people, while the other roommate sat across from me clearly unable to decide how to act. The game ended after we escaped and there was a brief, "what were you thinking?" from the DM, but clearly nobody was thinking.

Upon reflection I realized this was the best point at which to exit the game and told the DM. As it turned out, more things were going on than I was aware of and so the game died with a whimper.

A

amerigoV

Your just up in Westerville, I think I know that John and Judy! ;)

Gotta love ENWorld :)

It's like seven degrees of Kevin Bacon with a slightly dysfunctional gaming family!

That does not surprise me (and I am sorry you had to deal with them too, Crothian). Much like the NFL, bad players bounce from team to team/group to group before being completely drummed out of the league.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases