D&D 5E Acquiring new trained skills?

Melkor

Explorer
Hi folks,

Maybe I just missed it reading the new playtest packet, but where does it mention learning a new trained skill?

I see it talks about when you get to add a bonus as you level to one current trained skill, and the same paragraph does mention getting a new trained skill, but doesn't specify when that happens.

Thanks.

Li Shenron

Legend
Some people currently interpret that passage as "you either get a +1 to an already trained skill, or a new trained skill (i.e. +3)".

I don't read it that way tho, I read it so that you just improve by +1 an already trained skill, and that the only way to get more skills trained ATM is the feat which exactly grants an additional skill.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Some people currently interpret that passage as "you either get a +1 to an already trained skill, or a new trained skill (i.e. +3)".

I don't read it that way tho, I read it so that you just improve by +1 an already trained skill, and that the only way to get more skills trained ATM is the feat which exactly grants an additional skill.

Well, wishfull thinking has a lot to do with it. However it isn't without it's precedents, back in 2e NWPs worked on a way you could use your level up slot to increase one of your current skills or gain a new one, it really sounds elegant and simple. Tho other reason to wish to interpret it that way, is because skill trainning via feats feels extremely expensive. But yes the most exact interpretation is you can only increase a skill you already have, which feels very draconian by the way.

Li Shenron

Legend
Tho other reason to wish to interpret it that way, is because skill trainning via feats feels extremely expensive.

I don't think it's that expensive.

If we had as many skills and skill points per PC as in 3ed (some PC ended up with 2, but on average 4-5 skills maxed out was normal) one whole feat could be expensive.

But considering that in 5e everyone except the Rogue gets only 3 skills, 1 extra skill is like +33%, so that feat has more worth. Consider also that the max is +7, so going from +0 to +3 is proportionally more worth in 5e than in 3e.

Rather than expensive, I'd be concerned that since you get only 1 feat every 3rd level, you will often need to wait 2-3 levels before getting a new skill you may need. (In general, given my XP with 3ed, I also think feats should be handed out more often, 1/2 levels or even 1/level... but OTOH 5e PCs will have more class features to advance by level than 3e PCs so they won't probably need more feats).

In conclusion, that section about improving skills every 2 levels need clearer wording than now.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
I don't think it's that expensive.

If we had as many skills and skill points per PC as in 3ed (some PC ended up with 2, but on average 4-5 skills maxed out was normal) one whole feat could be expensive.

But considering that in 5e everyone except the Rogue gets only 3 skills, 1 extra skill is like +33%, so that feat has more worth. Consider also that the max is +7, so going from +0 to +3 is proportionally more worth in 5e than in 3e.

Rather than expensive, I'd be concerned that since you get only 1 feat every 3rd level, you will often need to wait 2-3 levels before getting a new skill you may need. (In general, given my XP with 3ed, I also think feats should be handed out more often, 1/2 levels or even 1/level... but OTOH 5e PCs will have more class features to advance by level than 3e PCs so they won't probably need more feats).

In conclusion, that section about improving skills every 2 levels need clearer wording than now.
Cannot xp you again, but indeed. The whole package could use some clarification.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Yep. Skills are unclear. That may be on purpose. If you're dead set on advancing characters, just ask the players and go with that until the rules say otherwise.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases