RPGs What's the Best System for Running LotR? - Page 2

+ Log in or register to post
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Lama (Lvl 13)

Ignore gamerprinter
    The One Ring is your only real choice.

Anything else is trying to shoehorn Middle Earth into an existing game system, and in all such cases they fail (from 20 years experience attempting so with different systems).
    Michael K. TUmey
    http://www.gamer-printshop.com
    support@gamer-printshop.com
    Free monthly newsletter: Gamer Resource

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Ignore innerdude
    If you want it to feel like the Lord of the Rings BOOKS, I'd unequivocally vote for The One Ring. Highly evocative of the literature. I have the boxed set, and I LOVE it.

If you want it to feel like the MOVIES, i.e., more "high adventure," you could do worse than Savage Worlds + the SW Fantasy Companion. Use the "Gritty" campaign setting traits, house rule a weapon proficiency system of some kind, limit magic access, and treat travel as a "dramatic event" using the Deluxe rules, and you'd create a semi-facsimile, though it'd still feel more like "Battle of Five Armies" than "Riddles in the Dark."
    Battling the worldwide midget infestation since 1987.....

D&D. Gandalf was a 5th level wizard.

There used to be a page around EN World with a 3E LotR conversion for D&D. I wonder where that page wandered off to?
    "The Soul of D&D? It's rolling a natural 20 when you're down to 3 hit points and the cleric's on the floor and you're staring that sunnavabitch bugbear right in his bloodshot eye and holding the line just long enough to let the wizard unleash a fireball at the guards who are on their way, because they're all that stands between you, the Foozle and Glory." - WizarDru

Never tried it myself, but I'd say D&D is a horrible match for LotR. Way too many differences in flavor and player expectations. If you don't believe me, go read DM of the Rings.
    PbP info here: http://www.enworld.org/forum/5396456-post81.html

Guide (Lvl 11)

Ignore Nytmare
    Quote Originally Posted by Olgar Shiverstone View Post
    D&D. Gandalf was a 5th level wizard.

There used to be a page around EN World with a 3E LotR conversion for D&D. I wonder where that page wandered off to?
    It wasn't 3E. The article was written almost 35 years ago, and makes a case for D&D actually being a lousy model for Lord of the Rings.

Gandalf was only a Fifth Level Magic-User!
    Life's a die and then you bitch.

I really liked MERP.
    "Farewell, Friend. I was a thousand times more evil than thou!"--Stormbringer

Defender (Lvl 8)

Ignore DragonLancer
    My experience is that ICE's Middle Earth was the best system for playing in Middle Earth. Nothing else has ever quite worked the same way for me.
    I'm not asking for characters to be lawful stupid. I want characters who care, who want to be heroes, aren't scared of doing the right thing, and players who try to help make the campaign more heroic.

My Pathfinder blog

Quote Originally Posted by DragonLancer View Post
    My experience is that ICE's Middle Earth was the best system for playing in Middle Earth. Nothing else has ever quite worked the same way for me.
    Best system or best materials?

Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

I Defended The Walls!

Ignore Matchstick
    I would recommend The One Ring without any hesitation. I played the heck out of MERP back in the day, and had fun, but it was always playing Rolemaster in Middle Earth if that makes sense.

The One Ring is well designed, well presented (barring the index, and there's now a free much improved index for download), beautiful, and tremendously evocative of the setting. There's a great community on the Cubicle 7 site.

Bard 7/Moderator 9
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Ignore Eridanis
    Quote Originally Posted by Olgar Shiverstone View Post
    Is this what you're thinking of? Probably, since you contributed to the thread!

http://www.enworld.org/forum/convers...20-thread.html - August 2002

I remember it for some great discussion and some sublime epic spells contributed by Sepulchrave II. (In fact, that's how I found it - I went to my old 3000-page 3E spell document to get a spell name, then searched for the thread...)
    Most sorts of diversion in men, children and other animals, are in imitation of fighting.

-Jonathan Swift

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast