D&D 5E Art: Goblinoids, Take Two

Klaus

First Post
Yeah, I'm with Klaus, that the WAR bugbear was never very stealthy-looking.

THESE bugbears look like something you could find hiding in your wine cellar, waiting for you to come down and see what new part of the Underdark has found your home.
And to add: "bugbears" (or bogeybears/boogeybears/buggebears) were originally the feral equivalent of the bogeyman, beasts that parents would use to scare their children into behaving.

gweinel

Explorer
Two things:
The first is that i like the art. In all previous editions i was wondering why the bugbear is goblinoid whereas looks more like a bestial humanoid. For the first time the art depicted right.

The second has to do with the hobgoblin. I like it. A lot. The thing that i can't understand is that how a number of these cool looking militaristic hobgoblins with the full armor and the katana like swords can be beaten by a 1stlvl character as the new Q&A states... i know it has to do only with my immersion to the game... but the again couldn't resist to not write it. :p

Last edited:

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
I like that goblin. It looks a lot like I imagined a goblin would look like when I was a young lad. That said, it's a start contrast to the Pathfinderian goblins that I also love. Still, I think they've made the right choice.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
They need to show more teeth, and smile more. Well maybe the Hobgoblin could get away with a scowl, but the goblin needs a wicked toothy grin.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Goblins are fantasy creatures. They could even be dark fairies or a successful crossbreed from demons ages ago. The picture looks altogether too human for them. Too thick and too BadassTM as they stand now. They are creatures from children's nightmares, even if they are simply the small critters, they are insidious and unmistakably monsters in form, features, and manner.

I kinda think they look like small gargoyles, but without the wings or so many horns. There's almost a devilish feature to them. Perhaps they are a bit of a mongrel species? Some are hairier, some have tails, some long, pointed noses like the old school troll, pointy chins, gangly appendages, rough hair, warty skin, and so on.

Getting the goblin right really should cement the foundation for getting the rest of this category shaped up too.

Hobgoblins are human/goblin halfbreeds and from the goblin begun with it's not a bad likeness. They are not heroes though. Not so upright. Not so well groomed or courageous looking. They are soldiers, but they are goblinoids too. LOTR film goblins would make good D&D hobgoblins.

The bugbear is an interesting take. I could almost see this guy as a particular, but wouldn't care for him to be the iconic bugbear (y'know, the American kid who wears blue jeans, red t-shirts, and white sneakers). He also looks like he enjoys competing in mustache competitions.

EDIT: :)
[sblock]
00GRE.bmp
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Abraxas

Explorer
I'm pretty underwhelmed by these. The leonine/beauty & the beast look just doesn't work for me. That being said, I'd like
1) the goblin to look more scrawny
2) the Bugbear to look more hulking - so heavier/rounder - I do like the arms on this version though.
3) The hobgoblin to just look different.

ferratus

Adventurer
Looks like I'm not with the general vibe. I like the Bugbear because he is lanky and bestial. He's supposed to be the boogeyman right? So he has to be a muscled, slender and sneaky thing that can carry off human children.

The goblin is just about perfect, if they were to make him skinnier and grinning. I hate the hobgoblin, because making them a warrior race makes them orcs, end of story. If you make them more powerful magic-using fey however, they would have their own unique identity.

Li Shenron

Legend
For me the hobgoblin looks perfect.

The bugbear and goblin are almost ok, although the goblin head is too large, it's larger than the other 2 guys...

My real nitpick is that these monsters are way too muscular :erm: Really, most of the savage creatures are lazy and filthy, they would love eating much much more than they would love exercising. I could understand hobgoblins being more fit due to their fanatic militaristic attitude, but muscular goblins are just plain wrong.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases