D&D 5E Future playtest adventures

Rydac

Explorer
I believe WoTC has said we'll see other classic adventures used in playtesting D&D Next. The most recent Legends & Lore article on magic items mentions an adventure being released in the next few weeks (and we're in theory due the character levels 1-10 sometime this month too...so we'll need an adventure in the 6-10 range).

So what are you hoping for in the way of classic adventures brought back to life in the playtest?

Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun, Lost Caverns of Tosjcanth ?? Maybe a White Plume Mountain? Which Classics do you think would make "good" playtesting environments?

Looking through the adventures with a good level range (5-10) there are very few appropriate ones.
Against the Giants is 8+ which might be tricky, since levels 6-7 wouldn't be tested.

The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan is L5-7 which is a good range for the playtest. White Plume Mountain is 5-10 and has a heavy exploration slant, which might be nice.
Desert of Desolation is 5-10 which is perfect, but that complication adventure is late in D&D's timeline. Ravenloft is 5-7 and if they can get that out in the next couple weeks everyone will be playing it for a Halloween playtest. Isle of Dread might be fun as well.

Given the odd monsters to be stated up for Tamoachan and White Plume the safe bet would be Ravenloft, which just requires some undead, werewolves, vampires, wolves, and the like. Just more testable foes.

That's assuming we don't get a brand new adventure.

Temple of Elemental Evil would be a good choice for a 1-10 adventure.

Tsojcanth is another good one if you want to test a variety of encounters and monsters.

Giants they should save for playtesting higher levels (above 10).

howandwhy99

Adventurer
B2 with the dungeon and the town.

Town & Dungeon is pretty central to encouraging dungeon delving (as well as dispensing with predetermined combats in a day).

If mid-levels are what they are after, I'd suggest the A series. But those still leave no room for wilderness adventuring. ...and city-based ...waterborne ...extraplanar play ...aerial locations and combat ...time travel ...aliens ...all sorts of stuff

Given the second packet had a brand new original adventure tied to the ongoing Drow story in the Realms and precursor to the 4e-5e changeover, the next packet might continue that story with a big Drow adventure. Possibly with Menzoberranzan ties.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
I would also like a sandbox adventure. I don't think they will use an old adventure, I hope to see another adventure like Reclaiming Blingdenstone.

Warder

Blackbrrd

First Post
A sandboxy adventure is what I hope they will bring to the table. Some wilderness, some villages, a town, some interesting ruins, some intrigue and an invasion including a dragon overlord while a plague is ... plaguing the lands.

What I don't want to see is a dungeon crawl. I want to see a module that lets you use all the characters abilities in a wide variety of situations. The module "Red Hand of Doom" hand a lot of good elements, even if I just skipped the last part (with the large dungeon).

Bran Mak Morn

First Post
While I hope to see an original adventure such as Reclaiming Blingdenstone, IMHO the best classic adventure to test that level range would be the beloved Isle of Dread (reloaded, of course)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases