D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Can you add class levels to all monsters?

I think a monster needs an Int score of 3 before it can take class levels. (For obvious reasons, monsters with very low mental scores shouldn't take levels in the corresponding PC class, but they're not technically restricted. Having said that, a low Wis monster could take druid levels, only using wild shape for ambush purposes. That's not a great use of the druid class abilities though, it's better to use summon nature's ally while hiding as a squirrel before jumping into the ambush.)

Sekhmet

First Post
Mindless undead cannot gain class levels (as per the "Mindless" quality), but just about everything with an Intelligence score can be given class levels.

olshanski

First Post
I believe there is an "Advancement" section for each monster that tells whether a monster advances by class levels or racial hit dice.

the Jester

Legend
Contrariwise, are there any monsters that one *cannot* add class levels to?

Technically, monsters without an intelligence score can't gain class levels.

Bah! Give your monsters what they need to be a challenge! I see nothing wrong with, for instance, a sneaky gray ooze rogue or the skeleton of an amazing fighter having unusual abilities.

olshanski

First Post
Bah! Give your monsters what they need to be a challenge! I see nothing wrong with, for instance, a sneaky gray ooze rogue or the skeleton of an amazing fighter having unusual abilities.

I see nothing wrong with a GM breaking the rules now and again to provide an interesting challenge, but I assume that the OP was asking a question about the rules as written, not whether he personally can make up whatever crap he thinks is fun.

As a follow up, I did indeed break out my rulebooks and I am sure that the "Advancement" section for each monster indicates whether it advances by adding racial hit dice or whether it advances by class levels.

Particle_Man

Explorer
Well except you get things like the Unicorn and the Aboleth and the Mummy, that on the one hand say they advance by HD (and don't mention class levels) and on the other hand have example monsters in the MM that have class levels. I didn't know if they were exceptions or whether in general all the "smart" (int 3+, not mindless) monsters can have class levels too.

Isn't the mummy lord a mummy with cleric levels? I think WotC was just suggesting it's better to have a unicorn with more HD than class levels. I don't think a unicorn fighter makes much sense, even if you put all your feats towards natural weapons... it's not like a unicorn can put on its own armor.

Particle_Man

Explorer
I don't know about fighter levels but the second unicorn entry in the MM has a celestial template and 7 levels of cleric, and clerics have armor proficiency too (Treat as Barding? Give the unicorn a virgin cohort to help put on the armor?) ;)

the Jester

Legend
... it's not like a unicorn can put on its own armor.

Sure, but with help, it can wear barding.

There are plenty of excellent feats for a fighter unicorn, too- the Combat Expertise line, Improved Initiative, Power Attack and friends, tactical feats, etc.

One party I ran in 3e had a long-term party sidekick- a war dog- and eventually, she had been with them for so long that I gave her a fighter level.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases