Ideas: Bronze

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
So, I am nearing my 8th wedding anniversary. Just to keep things interesting, my wife and I try to keep to the traditional anniversary gift ideas, where each year is some material.

Mind you, we do this loosely. The first anniversary, for example is "paper". I got her a laser printer (which she badly needed for her work). Last year was wool (or copper, but I went with wool), and I got her a spinning wheel.

The traditional material for the 8th anniversary is bronze. Do you have *any* idea how hard it is to find something in bronze that isn't either a bathroom fixture or just a hunk of statuary?!?

The gift needn't be large - we are spending a huge hunk of change on a vacation that's a gift to ourselves - but something small would be nice. The problem is just finding something.

So, by way of conversation - anyone seen anything interesting in bronze lately? Anyone got a cool twist on the idea of bronze that might get me into a different gift idea?

Heck, anyone had some really good wins on anniversary gifts?

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
There must still be places where you can get baby shoes bronzed and based, yes? Maybe a pair from each of you set together on a base? Maybe such a place would even bronze other things for you, if there is something you can think of that seems better.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I know this sounds silly, but I just did a google search on "Bronze Gifts" and Amazon alone turned up more than 9000 results.

Some non-sculptural results included:

Bronze letter opener:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Celtic-Bronze-Letter-Opener-664/dp/B008G4VZ38/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1350188387&sr=8-3&keywords=bronze+gifts]Amazon.com: Celtic Bronze Irish Cross Letter Opener 664: Everything Else[/ame]

Bronze Canopic jars:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Bronze-Egyptian-Canopic-Jars-Gifts/dp/B002IZD7KU/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1350188387&sr=8-13&keywords=bronze+gifts]Amazon.com: Bronze Egyptian Canopic Jars Jar Set of 4 Gifts: Home & Kitchen[/ame]

Bronze spyglass:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/AM-Authentic-Models-Bronze-Spyglass/dp/B000UPMNN2/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1350188387&sr=8-14&keywords=bronze+gifts]Amazon.com: AM Authentic Models Bronze Spyglass - Classic Nautical Home Decorative Accessories: Home & Kitchen[/ame]

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You might also look for bronze coin jewelry. One of the exhibitors at the InterGem Jewelry show is a company called Suraj, International. Among other things, they sell pendants made from ancient Chinese, Indian and other bronze coins in all their worn, patina-covered glory, set in silver.

In addition, they sell the coins separately, in case you want them as collector pieces or design jewelry yourself (as I do).

And they are not the only ones out there, just who I routinely deal with.

Edit: FYI, I did an Amazon search for "bronze coins" and found some individual coins AND things made from them. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=bronze+coins&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Abronze+coins"]Amazon.com: bronze coins[/ame]

Last edited:

Janx

Hero
Danny to the rescue. Those ideas look good.

If you had more time, take a jewlery making class at the local community college. I'm talking the metals one. Where you cast or "weld" copper or silver, etc. Then make her something.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I know this sounds silly, but I just did a google search on "Bronze Gifts" and Amazon alone turned up more than 9000 results.

Well, part of that is the matter of finding the right search terms. I had, in fact, gone to Amazon and searched on "bronze something" for various values of something. "Gifts" however, didn't cross my mind. I was being too specific.

And, in showing me this one, you've just solved a completely different problem. We are running our Warren Zevon inspired game at a con in March, and I needed a canopic jar for our mummy's phylactery.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases