Why are the biggest games Fantasy games?

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I think it comes down partly to the fact that fantasy is inherently a more limited environment. Sure people could create rampant dreamscapes, but the typical fantasy world tends to be pseudo-medieval and has relatively limited resources.

In modern and sci-fi worlds people have far greater mobility and communication ability available off the shelf, there are so many more out-of-the-box solutions to adventuring problems.

Sure, you can have fun and exciting sci-fi games (it's my favourite genre), but I think the additional ease that fantasy gives from essentially restricting options and expectations at the outset makes fantasy games that much more accessible.

Cheers

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Too many of the SF games, well, sucked.
Either the mechanics were too bizarre, or they relied too much on hard Science.
I think the SF game that worked best was the WEG D6 Star Wars. The big limit with that game was a shortage of published adventures, and that the Force handbook was one of the last ones produced. And right when it should have had the revival, LFL took the rights away and gave it to WotC, the Hasbro-owned company. And the prequels ended up being a massive suck-fest, so that pretty much killed the game. I could go on and on and on and on and... ...but you get the idea.

ShadowRun, GammaWorld, and Cyber-punk seemed to be busy with a vision of the future that never quite got across. Same with most of the "real world" turned fantasy/alternate time period.
D&D was pure, disconnected fantasy, that can and will go anywhere, with any mythology you want as a ready plug-in.
I can't think of any other game that has that.

Another thought: It's similar to the way that superheroes have come to dominate comic books over the years. Part of it's that superheroes are what sells. Part of it is that kids grow up reading superhero comics and if they're lucky enough to work in the industry, that's what a lot of them want to write/draw/ink/color/letter/edit.

Not really. The reason superheroes dominate comic books is largely down to Frederick Wertham, Seduction of the Innocent, the Senate Subcomittee on Juvenile Delinquency, and the Comics Code Authority. Fights-and-tights isn't a bad match for the comics genre due to things like an unlimited sfx budget and freeze frame scenes that are one of the best ways of representing superpowers, and for colateral damage. But superheroes aren't the natural genre for comics - horror is. Horror really benefits from the freeze frame ability to zoom in on single terrifying moments, and from the creepiness. And can use all the SFX budget you give it. In fact prior to 1954 and the Comics Code Authority, horror not superheroes were the dominant genre in comics - and it was horror comics that were strongly objected to. However some of the major points from the original comics code are below.
  • In every instance good shall triumph over evil and the criminal punished for his misdeeds.
  • Scenes of excessive violence shall be prohibited. Scenes of brutal torture, excessive and unnecessary knife and gunplay, physical agony, gory and gruesome crime shall be eliminated.
  • No comic magazine shall use the words "horror" or "terror" in its title.
  • All scenes of horror, excessive bloodshed, gory or gruesome crimes, depravity, lust, sadism, masochism shall not be permitted.
  • All lurid, unsavory, gruesome illustrations shall be eliminated.
  • Inclusion of stories dealing with evil shall be used or shall be published only where the intent is to illustrate a moral issue and in no case shall evil be presented alluringly, nor so as to injure the sensibilities of the reader.
  • Scenes dealing with, or instruments associated with walking dead, torture, vampires and vampirism, ghouls, cannibalism, and werewolfism are prohibited.
Females shall be drawn realistically without exaggeration of any physical qualities
(OK, so that last one was thrown in for amusement)

As the list makes obvious, the purpose of the comics code was to kill horror comics stone cold dead. When your medium has the advantages of almost unlimited sfx and superb freeze frame but must tell stories of good winning and can't be gritty, probably the thing that plays most to the exclusive advantages of the medium is freeze-frame. And if we look at the British Invasion in comics, it's my belief that it was so successful largely because it consisted of artists who spoke English as a first language but with a comic book market that knew about the Comics Code and wasn't bound by it. Certainly if we look at Moore's, Morrison's, and Gaiman's most important work (Swamp Thing, The Invisibles, Sandman respectively) they all seriously cross the lines the Comics Code would like without crossing them for the sake of crossing them.

So the reason superheroes rose to the top of the comics pile is not so much that superheroes are what sells, but that for about 30 years the mainstream US comics market was banned from selling anything else.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Jhaelen

First Post
Why do swords and spells tend to be more popular than spaceships and lasers? Is D&D (and Pathifinder) so popular because it's fantasy? Or is fantasy so popular because D&D did that first? Or some other reason?
For me there are several reasons:

- intimidating scope: sci-fi tends to deal with settings on a planetary, star system or even galactic level. Dealing with villages, towns and cities seems much easier to manage.

- less personal: somewhat similar to the above, once you add spaceships into the equation the abilities of individuals no longer matter much; it's harder to tell heroic stories.

- sci-fi stands for 'science' fiction: when thinking up fantasy stories I feel I can get away with weird stuff rather easily (a (mad) wizard did it!). It's harder to come up with a satisfying way to explain why or how stuff works in a sci-fi setting.

I'd like to note that 'Star Wars' is closer to a fantasy setting than a sci-fi setting, so it mostly works for me just as well as a fantasy setting would - except for space combat.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases