Master of Jade, Mistress of Iron - a World of Conclave adventure

Dr Simon

Explorer
The owner of the Catfish, a man you recall is known locally as "Mister Fortune", looks a little nervous and glances in the direction of the captives.

"Let's just say they have heavy connections hereabouts," he says. "Black River Society. I pay good yen to keep them out of my business." He rubs the side of his nose. "Listen," he says, "I'm sorry about your friend here, and as it happened on my turf I feel kinda responsible. How much to just... forget everything that happened here?"

The other man in the yellow sash looks at Blue quizzically.

"N..no, Honoured Master," he says, "I wasn't coming to meet you. I just wanted an honest game." He glances at the two captive Black River Society men and licks his lips nervously.

[sblock=OOC]
Knowledge (local) checks will get you more information on "Kalog" and/or Black River Society, depending on results.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Voda Vosa

First Post
Hang looks at Mal and Quin with a frown and an raised eyebrow, but lets it slip now. He would not imagine the explanation behind the events. Instead he turns his attention to Mister Fortune.
"In that case you are not paying enough yen. Next time, they might pour a Palu devil in your soup. Tell us about the Black River Society. The now owe all of us a cache full of yellow jade. I don't know about the rest of you but I will get what might have belonged to me, one way or the other."

GlassEye

Adventurer
Blue sidles over next to the man with the yellow sash so that he can speak in a lower voice and not disturb the proceedings with Mister Fortune and the Black River Society members. He watches the man keenly trying to get a sense of whether he is speaking the truth or not or whether he senses something off about what Yellow Sash is telling him.

"My apologies, Honoured Master, for detaining you in this regrettable situation." He pauses and clears his throat lightly. "It would seem these Black River Society men hold some weight here though I am just a backward villager come to the city to seek my fortune and know little of these things. Is, ah... Kalog one of these Black River Society men?"

[sblock=Actions]Sense Motive: 1d20+8=24
Knowledge (Local): 1d20=1 Ha![/sblock]
[sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Blue Eye Bellows[/size]
Initiative: +1
AC: 14 (touch 11, flat-footed 13)
HP: 24 Current: 24
CMB: +3 CMD: 14 Fort: +2 Ref: +2 Will: +4
Speed: 30 ft.

Current weapon in hand: none
Conditions in effect: none

Spirit's Advice: 5/5 remaining
Artificer's Touch: 5/5 remaining

Shaman Spells
1st level: 2/day (DC 13)
animate rope, detect spirits, enlarge person, hunter's howl
0th level: unlimited (DC 12)
create water, guidance, light, spark
[/sblock]

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"I think we have received more than enough payment," He-Mit says raising the yellow jade ring. "We came to bid on it, but I think we should call this a group reward for avenging his murder."

He thinks back to the stories of his youth, trying to remember anything on river pirates. <rolling>

Dr Simon

Explorer
Mister Fortune looks Hang over colly, and takes a draw on his pipe.

"Hm," he says. "That may be so.I leave it your hands, but whatever you do with them I'd prefer it if it didn't take place on my property."

Meanwhile:

"I... I don't know what you're talking about," Yellow Sash replies to Blue. Blue can plainly tell that the man is lying, probably because he's scared of something.

[sblock=He-Mit]
The Black River Society is a criminal cartel, originating in Llaza but said to spread throughout the Anhoi River and Southern Sea nations. They deal in illicit cargo of all kinds - drugs, slaves, tabusami magic (i.e. illegal magic dealing with evil spirits and necromancy), guns and other alchemical items from Hudan, etc.).

Many officials who should do something about it have been bribed or intimidated into inaction. They are said to have a cellular structure, each cell operating more or less independently under the direction of a figure known as a "Father".

Kalog "The Knife" is rumoured to be such an individual in Llaza, but even if these rumours are untrue there are many others about him. He runs an unsavoury bar known as The Chrysanthemum Garden in Llaza, a den of yaama users and there are rumours of pit fights and links to assassins.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Voda Vosa

First Post
"Fine by me. You wouldn't mind spilling the beans on where is the base of operations of these lowlifes, hm?" the warrior asks Mister Fortune. The merchant was probably too cowardly to answer that, considering that there were two of the Black River society there. Asking wouldn't hurt anyways; not Hang anyways.

Falkus

Explorer
"I'm sure with sufficient persuasion, one of these two would be happy to provide us with the information," Sil said, draping one arm over the shoulder of her prisoner, and smiling wickedly. What she'd do with that information, she wasn't sure. It didn't pay to go picking fights with criminal groups... but, well... she'd see what the others thought first. It seems she'd found herself in an interesting group.

Dr Simon

Explorer
"I know nothing of such things," says Mister Fortune, in tones that make it quite clear that he does but he's not saying. "I think such questions would find a clearer answer in another establishment, say Serene Lil's, or the Chrysanthemum Garden."

GlassEye

Adventurer
Blue frowns. He isn't skilled in the arts of persuasion and he isn't sure how to get the answers from Yellow Sash. He rubs at the back of his neck as he watches Yellow Sash.

"Ah... maybe we could help you out with your problem. If you could share with us whatever you know about these Black River Society men and why they might want to prevent the sale of this yellow jade I could try to convince the others to help you out. We could go somewhere less... public and talk. A bit of wine to calm the nerves? Not every day you witness a demon kill a man... Errr..."

Blue hesitates fairly sure he isn't convincing Yellow Sash then plucks at He-Mit's sleeve. The man seems to have a way with words and Blue could use some help convincing Yellow Sash to share what he knows.

[sblock=OOC]Thanksgiving in America is Thursday and I'll be with family. I probably won't be able to post until Friday or maybe even as late as Monday. Sorry for any delay this causes. Hope you all have a good holiday/weekend.[/sblock]
[sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Blue Eye Bellows[/size]
Initiative: +1
AC: 14 (touch 11, flat-footed 13)
HP: 24 Current: 24
CMB: +3 CMD: 14 Fort: +2 Ref: +2 Will: +4
Speed: 30 ft.

Current weapon in hand: none
Conditions in effect: none

Spirit's Advice: 5/5 remaining
Artificer's Touch: 5/5 remaining

Shaman Spells
1st level: 2/day (DC 13)
animate rope, detect spirits, enlarge person, hunter's howl
0th level: unlimited (DC 12)
create water, guidance, light, spark
[/sblock]

Dr Simon

Explorer
"I..." starts Yellow Sash, then glances over at two Black River Society men. "Some things are too dangerous to talk about," he says. "I don't know anything."

Remove ads