Question on Character Build

Anastrace

First Post
Hihi all,

So I am looking at a replacement character after my last one met an unfortunate end at the hands of a fire giant. After perusing the d20pfsrd, I was looking at doing a gunslinger with the mysterious stranger and pistolero archetypes (which seems ok according to the srd), and bard with archeologist archetype. I happened to look in ultimate combat, and it doesn't say you can't do it, but it's vague on if that's possible for those two archetypes.

At least the bard part is easy. ^.^ I'm aiming for a combination of spaghetti western type of drifter / roaming do-gooder with a mix of MacGyver skills and practical magic.

So...am I on the right track here?

Thanks in advance,

N'raac

First Post
To the gunslinger, I believe the only caveat on multiple archetypes is that they cannot replace the same class skill/ability. By RAW, I believe you are OK, but I see two likely errata for the Pistolero to be concerned with.

First, one of the replacement deeds is at the wrong level (ie the replacement is a different level than that given up). I don't think Mysterious Stranger replaces any deeds at either level, so no issue.

Second, while the rules don't say it, it is widely believed Pistol Training is intended to replace, not supplement, gun training. As the Mysterious Stranger also loses gun training, that would make the combination illegal. As a GM, I'd be inclined to allow it, but require the Mysterious Stranger ability replace Pistol Training (which, to me, simply seems a more focused Gun Training so the Pistolero doesn't get training with other types of firearms), but assuming that errata is implemented in future, it would by RAW invalidate the combination.

emoplato

First Post
Hihi all,

So I am looking at a replacement character after my last one met an unfortunate end at the hands of a fire giant. After perusing the d20pfsrd, I was looking at doing a gunslinger with the mysterious stranger and pistolero archetypes (which seems ok according to the srd), and bard with archeologist archetype. I happened to look in ultimate combat, and it doesn't say you can't do it, but it's vague on if that's possible for those two archetypes.

At least the bard part is easy. ^.^ I'm aiming for a combination of spaghetti western type of drifter / roaming do-gooder with a mix of MacGyver skills and practical magic.

So...am I on the right track here?

Thanks in advance,
As N'raac says by RAW it isn't allowed as Mysterious Stranger replaces the Gun Training feature but yes if Archetypes do not replace each others features then you can take more than one. Though just talk to the DM and just ask if you can just take the one you want I am pretty sure they would be okay with it.
As for achieving the vision for your character yeah I think you are on the right track. Personally, I would keep the gunslinger levels to a minimum for certain damage increasing abilities because otherwise it is a front-loaded class, however this should be helpful either way you go.
[PF] The Gunslinger's Handbook - Giant in the Playground Forums

PatCap

Explorer
I had 2 really fun ideas for gunslingers.

First, just a cool "spaghetti western" type, I would love to play a gunslinging monk...just love the idea.

2nd, and I think it's really cool...the 7 Dwarven musketeers...A troupe of Dwarven musketters who travel with a HOT female Mystic Theurge,, you got it...Snow White...LOL...

Anastrace

First Post
Thanks for all the feedback! I wanted to say so earlier, but maintenance and all. :) I do hope they pop out an errata at some point so it's a bit clearer, but dropping pistolero is no big deal. It's going to be a real fun character to play though, I'll guarantee. ^.^

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases