Gamehackery: Technology and Winging It: Encounter Maps (part 2 of 4)

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer

I've been playing long enough to remember playing before we used minis at all. I remember the advent of minis and when our group first started using a battlemat. I remember the first poster maps. I giggled with excitement when I saw map tiles at GenCon for the first time.

Now I have a storage bin full of tiles (too many to use quickly), an exhaustive collection of poster maps (ditto), and a handful of other analog mapping solutions.

And yet, most of the home games I run today use electronic maps - we used a projector for years, now we have a TV flat on the table.

There is clearly a steady progression – from theater of the mind to maptools and PDF maps – in the amount of preparation required to get a map ready to play. And there are plenty of rewards for putting in the effort to have that prepared, computer delivered map (or maybe it's a 3-d Terrain map, with Malfeaux Terraclips or Dwarven Forge dungeon forms or something else). Even the analog solutions like Malifeaux's 3d cityscapes take more and more time to prepare before game day – and, unlike a computer driven map, those take a lot more time to clean up and put away.

The bottom line when it comes to a quick, ad-libbed map is to Get Play Started Again. If you can't get the new encounter ready in the time it takes one of your PCs to go to the bathroom, you're doing it wrong.

1 - Know Your Tools

You're going to be trying to move fast; don't try it with tools you don't know how to use.

You're far better off biting your bottom lip with shame and rolling out that battle mat than you are fiddling around with tools you're not familiar with while your players rerun fart jokes.

You can't move fast AND learn tools, so don't bother. Learn the tools on your own time.

2 - A Simple Sketch is good enough.

If you were drawing the map out on a battlemat you'd do it in broad outlines only – walls here, door here, a scribble for a fire pit and so on.

Your mapping software and tools have the ability to do a lot more, but that doesn't mean that you MUST include all of that detail. When you're moving fast, fall back on the broad outlines and call it good. Also consider using spare minis or other props to indicate some of the area features -- maybe the fire pit is a red poker chip.

Most of the programs that you might be using to make maps for your game provide a library of tokens, objects, and tiles that you can use to create your map. They're awesome when you have world enough and time to create your map.

However, a library of prepared images and objects is a sinkhole when you are trying to create quickly. It's not worth it -- even for that one image that would be perfect for this scene, the one you think you can just go over and find real fast -- don't. Draw a dot or a scribble or something, and keep moving.

By the same token, don't get too hung up on precise dimensions. If you're trying to recreate something from a print map -- like in a published adventure -- get the basic outlines in without trying to make it perfect. In two weeks no one will remember if the room was 30 or 35 feet wide, but they will remember how sore their asses were while they sat there watching you count one-inch boxes.

3 - Some Tools are Better than Others - Be ready to switch

So, I've got Dunjinni. I've got Photoshop. I've got Maptools. I've got Campaign Cartographer. And when it comes to making maps, they're awesome.
But the flexibility and complexity that makes those tools so useful for building complex, realistic maps, make them less useful as a quick-and-dirty map-sketching tool.

Actually, for my money, the best tools for quickly sketching out a map when you need one fast are on the iPad.

(there are others -- these are the ones I own)

The iPad interface that lends itself to quickly finger-painting your map. If you're using a projector or TV screen to play on, and you have an iPad (along with an available adapter to connect the iPad to the projector or TV), one of these could become indispensable for creating quick maps – in a fraction of the time it would take to sketch the same map by hand.

Of the three, I prefer like BattleMapp for prepared maps but Dungeon Mapp is better for really fast maps because of the way it allows you to drag and fill an area (rather than having to drag your finger through each space, as you do with BattleMapp).

sample-quick-map.PNG

(Oh, and hey, look, I cheated and used an image (the tree). So shoot me. Do what I say, not what I do.)

Using Dungeon Mapp I created this quick and dirty map in less than 60 seconds – it took me longer to remember how to take a screen shot and email it to myself than it did to actually create the map. It's not perfect, I would love to spend more time detailing it, but in the end this is good enough for an ad-libbed scene. And at just 60 seconds, the map is done in plenty of time (unless your player who went to the bathroom isn't in the habit of washing his hands. Really, people, wash your hands, if for no other reason than to give your DM a few precious seconds to finish his ad-libbed map).

So, if you've been running the encounters in one tool, and your players throw you a curveball, a few seconds switching from one program to another (or even from one device to another) is worth it if you're better able to quickly sketch out an encounter area in the other tool.

If You Don't Have An iPad

My experience with android-based tablets is a lot more limited, so I hope those of you with more experience there will chime in on this thread and make suggestions. I'm also not aware of any Android-based tablets that would allow them to connect to an external monitor or projector. (I'd love to hear about options you're using, so post your comments below)

So, I'm betting that those of you without iPads are on a Mac or PC notebook or desktop, trying to build maps there. I find it much more difficult to do that sort of quick sketch when I'm working through the interface of the mouse -- the mouse interface does some things much better than touch, but this isn't one of them. Do your best. paint in broad strokes, skip any prepared images, sketch it out fast and get your players playing again.

That's what matters most. If your players are rolling dice and facing the next challenge, they'll forgive you for not having the right texture on your tundra tiles, I promise.

If they run out of fart jokes before your map is ready, your game is done.

The Bottom Line

Get things moving again. Make sure you're using a tool you're comfortable with, and just get the basic outlines down for your players. They don't need perfection; they need to be playing.

Next Time: Gadgets and Ad Lib Opponents

(Even server downtime can't keep my Technology column down! Here we go!)
This is part 2 of a series -- here's a link to part 1: http://www.enworld.org/forum/news/330465-gamehackery-technology-winging-intro-part-1-4-a.html

Attachments

• sample-quick-map.gif
    sample-quick-map.gif
    252 KB · Views: 345
Last edited by a moderator:

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
Thanks!

I hadn't seen Pyromancers before, I'll be checking it out.

We use maptools, and have used that mostly for online games. I'm curious about a lot of the other options -- I'm planning to jump into online gaming in the future. I'm especially curious about some of the options that are plugins for Google Plus.

So, anyway, I'll be looking at that stuff in future columns.

BriarMonkey

First Post
Okay - I'm late to the party (what else is new), but I just wanted to throw a couple other options out there.

For one, you mentioned Photoshop - which while a serious tool, tends to be way above the price point many are willing to accept. For that, GIMP is a free tool (released under the GNU license I think) that has nearly the same functional tools array as Photoshop (such as layers, transparencies, multi-format imports and exports, pens, blurs, et. al., etc.).

And, for those of us who don't do tablets, you can pick up a stylus, or pen, for the PC for a lot cheaper than a tablet. A basic pen will give you an interface (along with still being able to use your mouse) akin to a pen or pencil that will allow you to draw just as you would on a battlemat with a marker. (The more expenive ones are like an artists toolbox - they support pressure sensitivity to make different width lines, feathering, color choices, etc.) I'd used one for years until the version I had stopped supporting the newer OSes after Windows XP.

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
Thanks [MENTION=95387]BriarMonkey[/MENTION]!

I've used Gimp before, and it's a decent substitute, although it can be frustrating if you're used to photoshop. I understand that there are add-ons you can get to make the menu structure and tools more Photoshop-like, but I haven't played with those.

I use Gimp on some computers, Photoshop on others, mostly dependent upon whether I've been able to get photoshop on that computer through work. ;)

And I have not played much with stylus input -- can you recommend yoru favorite for folks? I thinik Wacom is the state of the art, but I haven't used it.

I really appreciate the ideas -- my experience with this stuff isn't exhaustive, or even close -- so it's going to be cool to share ideas with other folks.

-rg

BriarMonkey

First Post
I haven't much familiarity with Paintshop, due to the price tag, thus my mention of GIMP - and yes, it can be overwhelming due to all the features it has. And my use of GIMP has been pretty minor - mainly doing some animated GIFs and basic image manipulation, so I can't speak to those add-ins either. (Yeah, I'm kinda not a graphics bubba.)

And while I'd love to mention the tablet I had used from Windows 3.1 through Windows XP - I am afraid I can't. This is because the last XP upgrade went to a mostly USB machine, and the tablet was a serial device - so it went away (so that was... what, like three or four machines ago). Thus I can not recall who made the thing, or if they are even still in business.

However, yes, Wacom is the big boy on the block. They have models that can run the gamut from basic, all the way to professional use (and costing as much as 1000$). But, if I were to get a new graphics tablet for my PC, I'd probably go with Wacom's Bamboo line. Most are under 100$ (with one at 200$ - for the more artistically inclined). And for what we are looking at here, you really just need one that can mimick the movements of your hand or a pencil.

Since I am not currently gaming, I really didn't give much thought to the tablet, but now that I'm thinking about it... If I pick one up soon, I'll come back and make mention of what I got and how it works.

Cheers.

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
I haven't much familiarity with Paintshop, due to the price tag,

Let me ask you another question -- and this is really open to anyone still reading this thread -- how much does expense impact your feelings about the use and "coolness" of a particular gadget or tool for gaming?

The reason I ask is that it's my intention, for the sake of the Gamehackery column, to not take price into account, at least not on a regular basis. There may be moments when I mention the expense of one solution or another, but when it comes to a sort of celebration of the gimmicks and gadgets and tools that are out there for gaming, it seems like trying to keep things cheap or free is going to get in the way.

Keep in mind, I'm fortunate enough to be in the position where I can afford to do things like spend money on my hobby. If we had kids, or if my wife and I both didn't have good jobs, it would be harder to do dumb (but really cool) stuff like use a TV as a map table.

Now, in the column I'm working on for this week (spoiler alert), I'm going to come down on the side of recommending a (mostly) free solution rather than the software/gadget-based solutions that are out there. But price is absolutely not a factor in my recommendation -- for the tool and the part of the game I'm considering, I simply think a lo-fi solution is the best I've seen.

So, are you going to be turned off by my columns if they continue to not consider price a significant factor in my evaluation of a resource?

-rg

BriarMonkey

First Post
Let me ask you another question -- and this is really open to anyone still reading this thread -- how much does expense impact your feelings about the use and "coolness" of a particular gadget or tool for gaming?

For my part, price is not normally a point of contention. However, it does play into consideration when evaluating a "toy" as compared to other areas of discretionary spending. For instance, if I could choose a free application as opposed to a 500$ application and I was planning a vacation soon - I'd take free because that 500$ would better serve me on vacation.

Having said that - multi-tasking also comes into play. If I am going to spend money on something that is of single purpose - for instance if I were to buy Photoshop to edit my maps - then I'd really look at that price tag and wonder if it was worth it. But, if I was also going to use Photoshop to help with my photos and I did other graphics work, then I'd look at it as a tool for multiple uses and the price tag becomes much less of an issue. It's sort of like how Alton Brown looks at kitchen equipment.

Having said all that, some things just don't hit the radar. For instance, I bought the pre-order of the Tome of Horrors compilation. That was what, 100$. I got it because I wanted it, not because I needed it.

I guess, all of that was a long way of saying, if I have the money and it strikes my fancy, I'd give it serious consideration - if not just go get it. However if the timing is such that it competes with other wants, then it becomes a priority thing.

So no, price does not turn me away from solutions or ideas - but it may spur the desire to find other options or ideas.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases