23 Bad Habits of Otherwise Successful GMs

Hussar

Legend
Hautamaki - I'd agree with you. It's only railroading if the players object. I have heard the term shepherding for the sort of non-objectionable railroading that you would get with, say, an Adventure Path. You already (hopefully) have the buy in from the players to play an Adventure Path, so, while it might technically be railroading, it's not really a bad thing since everyone wants to be on this particular path.

Heck, even the box canyon with only one exit can be fine, if everyone actually LIKES that box canyon.

Challenger RPG

First Post
Sorry for the delay in response, work was crazy this week.

<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention --> @Crothian <!-- END TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention -->: Fantastic work! Your list of comments is excellent. Rather than rework the entire article, I think I'll let your work stand on it's own outstanding merits. I really enjoyed reading it and you make dozens of good points.

It's embarrassing I forgot number nine. I'll have to put something in there.

About dice towers: Yes. I only ever did that once, but apparently it's forever a stain on my GMing record. I don't normally mind small distractions, but during the game in question it consumed the entire group attention for 1/2 hour or more.

I think it might be helpful to mention that everything 16. down was a suggestion from my players I felt obliged to put in. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who has a few disagreements with them. :)

<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention --> @Hussar <!-- END TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention -->: Definitely not! I'm probably guilty of at least half over the years. In fact, a few of the items came readily from my players. I'd be more worried if you weren't guilty of any. ;)

I hope you don't mind if I add your great additions to the list! I kind of need a #9 anyway.

<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention --> @Hautamaki <!-- END TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention -->: Excellent points. I wouldn't mind hearing a few more opinions either. I definitely know what you mean about preparation time. One of my players doesn't mind pre-planned at all (and, in fact, enjoys it). It's just when you accidentally (like you said) try to get them to do things they hadn't planned for their characters. Then you run into real trouble.

Last edited:

JustinAlexander

First Post
Different ways of saying "railroading": 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 12, 14, 15, 21, 23.5

Other Entries: 10/11, 13, 16/19/20, 17, 18, 23, 23.75

(Slashes there indicate other duplicates.)

Bizarro World: 7, 22

(GMs are never allowed to play RPGs again? Cursed items are never OK? Say what?)

Remove ads