This One Goes to . . . Ten [Merged four Oct 29 Playtest Package announcement threads]

Are you curious about what's in the next playtest packet? Mike goes over the things you can expect to see on October 29th.

Read This One Goes to . . . Ten on D&D Insider here! The playtest packet is available here and includes levels 1-10 for the fighter, cleric, rogue and wizard, and changes to the spellcasting system. There are also changes to opportunity attacks, healing, critical hits, stealth, and perception; plus new rules for concentration for some spells, two-weapon fighting, and new actions such as disarm and grab. Maneuvers are now available to the fighter and the rogue, and dozens of higher-level monsters have been added along with optional traits and actions for them.

Last edited by a moderator:

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Rogues with Expertise Dice. I can't say I'm surprised. In the previous (i.e., current) packet, Rogues were the most boring class of all, and their only unique mechanic totally sucked the fun out of the game. Expertise Dice do solve both those problems, but I can't help feeling there is a better solution. If all non-magic classes end up using expertise dice, then the question will arise, why don't the magic-using classes use expertise dice?

I do hope they "charge up" dice by studying their target, inspecting the lock, etc., rather than just having them all the time like the Fighter.

Expertise Dice make an adequate "martial mechanic" opposed to spells and powers and rages.

I expect pre-gens again. I wonder at the adventure, so I wish there was more info.

It's going to be a long day at office, waiting to be able to download; the WotC server is blocked from my work and there's little chance it will be up before I leave for work.

gyor

Legend
This should be moved to the 5e prefix, from the WOTC one.

Its the 29th now, so I'm wondering what time we can start loading the packet.

Sounds like progress is excellorating. Thier a couple of packets ahead of this one and working on high level play and multiclass (I assume that includes prestige classes).

I have to admit to wondering why thier not releasing the most current finished one, especially if parts of this one maybe out dated?

Also wondering what fighters get in exchange for sharing expertise dice with Rogues.

By 2 spells slots per level I'm assuming they mean spell level and not character level.

And to the concern of the above poster, I'm Mike compares expertise dice to spellcasting so that's why wizards and clerics won't get that, although there maybe a specialization that dabbles in that giving them a taste just as thier was for divine and arcane magic in the last playtest packet.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Sounds like progress is excellorating. Thier a couple of packets ahead of this one and working on high level play and multiclass (I assume that includes prestige classes). I have to admit to wondering why thier not releasing the most current finished one, especially if parts of this one maybe out dated?
Based on previous playtest packets, it seems that they are generally working on different aspects of the game in future packets, rather than simply reworking what is in the latest packet. The August playtest packets added character generation rules, the first October playtest packet added magic items and overhauled the monster maths. The second October playtest packet will update the classes and increase the levels for which character generation information is provided. Given that, it makes some sense to release playtest packets that are one or two steps behind the ones they are working on -- the released packets will then presumably be slightly more refined than they would otherwise be.

MortalPlague

Adventurer
I'm a little disappointed by the description of what's in the packet, but better to be realistic than to go in with high hopes and have them dashed.

I was really hoping for an update to the monster math. I'm really tired of toothless monsters. When a large percentage of the playtesters are adding a blanket +2 to hit across the board, you know you have a problem that needs to be looked at.

Also, I was hoping to see expertise dice stay a fighter exclusive mechanic. I'll reserve judgement until I see how the rogue uses them, but if they're identical in how they're gained and what they're spent for, I'll be disappointed. It's a step towards having classes feel very similar, and I'm enjoying the different feel of 5th Edition's classes so far.

Also, I was hoping to see expertise dice stay a fighter exclusive mechanic. I'll reserve judgement until I see how the rogue uses them, but if they're identical in how they're gained and what they're spent for, I'll be disappointed. It's a step towards having classes feel very similar, and I'm enjoying the different feel of 5th Edition's classes so far.

I see some potential for it.

I expect the following Combat Maneuvers to be the only currently known maneuvers to be shared between the Fighter and Rogue styles:
  • Jab
  • Knock Down
  • Precise Shot
  • Shift
  • Snap Shot
  • Tumble

Jack99

Adventurer
The change to casters doesn't sound like something I will like. So at 5th level, you can cast your at-will and 5 spells? Actually that's (for wizards) only one less daily than in 2e and then you add in at-will(s) and traditions. Might work. If healing gets moved from the cleric spell list, it might work for them as well.

The change to casters doesn't sound like something I will like. So at 5th level, you can cast your at-will and 5 spells? Actually that's (for wizards) only one less daily than in 2e and then you add in at-will(s) and traditions. Might work. If healing gets moved from the cleric spell list, it might work for them as well.

Mearls said 2 per level, at-wills plus a signature encounter spell that varies by tradition. So 5th level and higher wizards would have 10 daily spells + at-wills + 1 encounter spell.

Last edited:

Jack99

Adventurer
Mearls said 2 per level, at-wills plus a signature encounter spell that varies by tradition. So 5th level and higher wizards would have 10 daily spells + at-wills + 1 encounter spell.

Aye, I just re-read it and that is indeed what the article says. How is that less than what they had before? It isn't. Wizards had 9 daily spells in the previous playtests and clerics had the same. Which is why I assumed it was a typo and he meant spell-level.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases