This One Goes to . . . Ten [Merged four Oct 29 Playtest Package announcement threads]

tuxgeo

Adventurer
< snip >
However, now I'm really uncertain where the Swashbuckler / Duelist archetype is going to go. The Rogue is definitely more inclined to use Finesse Weapons and Light or no Armor as a general rule, but the "Best Fencer in all the Land" is supposed to be a fighter, so how does that work?

Maybe, in some worlds, a pirate/Rogue such as "The Dread Pirate Roberts" is the best fencer in all the land.

Rune

Once A Fool
There is no indication of when it will be released today.

Right. The confusing thing is that the OP links to the playtest packet download site--but currently that download isn't the one that the OP is actually talking about (that is, the one that will be current at some unspecified point later today).

See? It's even confusing to clarify the confusion.

mlund

First Post
Maybe, in some worlds, a pirate/Rogue such as "The Dread Pirate Roberts" is the best fencer in all the land.

Plenty of pirates are Fighters (or non-PC-classed warriors). "Sailor" is just a single background. There can certainly be temporary aberrations, but the class mechanical designs should make it readily apparent than X levels of Fighter makes you a better Fencer than X levels of Rogue - assuming you dedicate those levels to the art of fencing. After all, the Rogue got an extra background and Skill Mastery. The Fighter got what - Hit Dice? I suppose that actually does make you better at Fighting, actually ...

I'm sure 10 years of disappointment, depression, and alcoholism without any worthwhile competition could dull even a once-in-1000-year grand wizard of fencing to the point where he could lose a match wielding a sword balanced for 6 fingers against a Rogue-type protagonist driven by the Power of Love. ;)

- Marty Lund

Blackwarder

Adventurer
I really hope they will use the rogue expertise dice for other things beside combat, leave the combat menuveres for the fighters and let the rogue use his dice for somthing else.

Warder

GameDoc

Explorer
I really hope they will use the rogue expertise dice for other things beside combat, leave the combat menuveres for the fighters and let the rogue use his dice for somthing else.

Warder

I think the article mentioned rogues being able to add their expertise dice to skill checks.

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
Hmm, so we're down from six different class mechanics to two? I kind of hoped the core classes at least would remain more mechanically distinct... But I guess I should wait till I see the damn thin before I whine.

avin

First Post
Do you really think the majority of players minmax? I would bet the majority of groups have fighters in every version of the game. And generic clerics and wizards too.

In my humble experience, since AD&D2E, 4E is the only edition where Fighters (best class in the multiverse) isn't always present.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases