WotC This One Goes to . . . Ten [Merged four Oct 29 Playtest Package announcement threads] - Page 5

+ Log in or register to post
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

I Defended The Walls!

Ignore Nikosandros
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack99 View Post
    Thanks for clarifying. That's not a lot of spells
    Indeed. I'll reserve judgement until I see the new material, but the number does seem very low.
    'Can a magician kill a man by magic?' Lord Wellington asked Strange. Strange frowned. He seemed to dislike the question. 'I suppose a magician might,' he admitted, 'but a gentleman never could.'

October 29th Playtest Packet - Anyone? Anything?

I was wondering whether there was anyone who already received the email and the packet. Anyone received anything?

Quote Originally Posted by MortalPlague View Post
    Also, I was hoping to see expertise dice stay a fighter exclusive mechanic. I'll reserve judgement until I see how the rogue uses them, but if they're identical in how they're gained and what they're spent for, I'll be disappointed. It's a step towards having classes feel very similar, and I'm enjoying the different feel of 5th Edition's classes so far.
    On the one hand I agree. IMO, the Fighter badly needed something unique to give it flavor, and Expertise Dice fit the bill. The Rogue's SA dice were very similar, so I see the logic in applying the Fighter mechanic on the Rogue. However, it seems like a bit of a cheat to me - instead of slapping the mechanics of a more interesting class on the Rogue, why not work on making the Rogue mechanics more interesting?

We're already starting to see the homogenization of 5E classes with the Wizard Traditions and Cleric Deities, which are shaping up to be the same thing with different names. In that case, their general areas of utility are fairly distinct by tradition. So why couldn't it work with the Fighter and Rogue? Personally, I don't think that D&D has really done enough to provide a distinct role for the Rogue, especially in 3E/4E. Giving Rogues Expertise Dice seems to me to be continuing in that trend.

On the other hand, I could definitely see Expertise Dice being used for something like on-the-fly metamagic effects. In fact, I could see that being a cool merging of the flavor of the mechanics in a spellblade/swordmage class (versus a Wizard's prepared metamagic). While mechanical uniqueness is nice, that doesn't mean it has to be hard and fast. So perhaps the Rogue system works well. I guess we'll have to see the playtest packet to see.

Magsman (Lvl 14)

ENnies ZEITGEIST The Perturbed Dragon Gygax Memorial Fund

Ignore MortalPlague
    I checked the download link a couple minutes ago, but it still directs to the October 8th packet. I'm waiting with bated breath...
    Your skill in reading has increased by 1.

Quote Originally Posted by MortalPlague View Post
    I checked the download link a couple minutes ago, but it still directs to the October 8th packet. I'm waiting with bated breath...
    In Italy is 8.30 pm and my players are coming in like 1 hour!!!!

Magsman (Lvl 14)

ENnies ZEITGEIST The Perturbed Dragon Gygax Memorial Fund

Ignore MortalPlague
    Quote Originally Posted by Bran Mak Morn View Post
    In Italy is 8.30 pm and my players are coming in like 1 hour!!!!
    Now that's tense!

If you don't get the RPG in time, try printing off a set of Cards Against Humanity. That'll tide you over.
    Your skill in reading has increased by 1.

Thanks! I'll give it a try

Quote Originally Posted by mearls View Post
    I meant spell level, so two spells each from 1st to 5th spell level. I need to review the "Use of the Word Level" section from basic D&D before I write these things!
    So... only one spell per character level?

So a 1st-level Wizard will have a few at-will spells, one encounter spell, and one daily spell. Hmmm...

I hope there's an option for people who like all-daily (as well as any number of other styles).

Hmmh, that is not so few!

Lets look at the 3e or 2nd edition charts:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/so...ard.htm#wizard

Does not look that bad, if you also have an encounter spell! MAybe there is even more in the traditions... lets see!

Quote Originally Posted by UngeheuerLich View Post
    Hmmh, that is not so few!

Lets look at the 3e or 2nd edition charts:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/so...ard.htm#wizard
    Didn't casters get bonus spells for having a high score in their prime requisite?

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast