The Third Rule

delericho

Legend
I think my favourite NPC betrayal of all time came right at the end of one of the chapters of the Shackled City campaign. The NPC in question had been travelling with the group for some time, and of course they didn't really trust him. When he sprang his sudden but inevitable betrayal, the party Paladin charged the NPC, attacked with his axe two-handed and using maximum Power Attack, rolled a crit, and inflicted something like 150 points of damage, killing him outright!

I felt that this was an interesting column by Chris Perkins, and the advice of having characters in thirds was quite solid - I plan to use that in future.

However, his example from "True Romance" was rather odd - that film only has a single event that could be considered a betrayal, and it is perpetrated by one of the characters Chris lists as 'trustworthy'!

Still, that shouldn't detract from the column as a whole. As I said, an interesting read.

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
I think my favourite NPC betrayal of all time came right at the end of one of the chapters of the Shackled City campaign. The NPC in question had been travelling with the group for some time, and of course they didn't really trust him. When he sprang his sudden but inevitable betrayal, the party Paladin charged the NPC, attacked with his axe two-handed and using maximum Power Attack, rolled a crit, and inflicted something like 150 points of damage, killing him outright!

We had a similar betrayal in an old WEG Star Wars bountyhunter module. (Spoilers ahead, so if you're going to play No Disintegrations stop reading.) A bountyhunter that we were partnering with led us into an ambush. Our wookie bountyhunter charged the betrayer with his vibroax, hit them on the first try, and kept rolling 6s on his damage roll's wild die. After the backstabber resisted his damage there was a ridiculous amount of damage left over--enough to kill the backstabber twice over.

However, his example from "True Romance" was rather odd - that film only has a single event that could be considered a betrayal, and it is perpetrated by one of the characters Chris lists as 'trustworthy'!

It's been a while since I've seen True Romance, what's the single event that you're thinking of?

delericho

Legend
It's been a while since I've seen True Romance, what's the single event that you're thinking of?

[sblock]His friend gets arrested for drugs possession, and proceeds to sell out everyone involved in the deal to the police. In the rest of the film, pretty much everyone behaves as you would expect - Gary Oldman and Christopher Walken are playing straight-up villains, Brad Pitt's playing a loser stoner, and Dennis Hopper is an out-and-out good guy. There are no betrayals as such - it's no surprise when a bad guy turns out to be a bad guy :) .[/sblock]

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
[sblock]Ah, I thought it was Bronson Pinchot who sold everyone out.[/sblock]

it's no surprise when a bad guy turns out to be a bad guy :) .

Aside from the error that you mentioned above, I think that was his point. It's good to have characters whose actions never surprise you.

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
Too many betrayals in the past. One in a campaign and no NPC is ever trusted again. And those who can be killed, are. See my sig.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases