[November] What are you reading?

Jhaelen

First Post
I'm just about finished with Charles Stross's The Atrocity Archives (I bought it two years ago, started reading it and then lost it, and just found it again recently.) I know about his other stuff combining James Bond-style spy tropes and the Cthulhu Mythos, and I need to get it. I like his writing, and when I read it I just get a big kick out of remembering that it's the same guy who created the Death Knight, Githyanki, Githzerai, and the Slaadi! :)
I'm sure he's a nice enough guy and seems well connected (I've seen him being credited in a couple of novels I enjoyed) but 'The Atrocity Archives' fell completely flat for me.
I wouldn't say it was atrocious (;)) but it was still probably the worst novel I've read in the past two years. I found it overly clichéd and predictable.

One of the first things I'll do when I get my kindle is to look for every Mythos story I can find.

In the meantime I continue reading all of the Ars Magica sourcebooks that have accumulated in the past year. I'm almost done with 'The Church' - which really made me want to re-read Umberto Eco's 'The Name of the Rose' - and will continue with 'Legends of Hermes'.

Dioltach

Legend
Recently finished rereading The Game of Kings by Dorothy Dunnett and Theft of Swords by Michael J. Sullivan. I don't think I'll be reading the rest of his Riyria series.

Next up is probably The Last Guardian, the latest Artemis Fowl book.

Krug

Newshound
Finished The Hammer and the Blade which was a decent buddy sword and sorcery book. First part of the book moved really slowly though, with the two characters hanging around a brothel for way too long.

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
I'm 480 pages into The Stand, which was probably not the greatest book to start when I'm A: suffering from a cold, and B: trying to do NaNoWriMo. Hrmph.

Krug

Newshound
Finished AS Byatt's Ragnarok. A short, quick read and a sort of retelling of Asgardian legends. While nothing extraordinarily new, Byatt injects new vigor into the tales, particularly Baldur's death.

Karak

First Post
Just finished the John Shannow series by David Gemmel. Now I am moving to the Ashes series by William Johnstone.
Excited to also get into the Dirk Pitt books some more.

Krug

Newshound
Rereading Life of Pi. I like the dry humour, but the philosophical 'religions are equal' portions are a bit of a drag.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases