Windows 8?

GSHamster

Adventurer
I installed Win8 back in November when it first came out because I needed a new copy of Windows and it didn't seem to make sense to buy a brand new copy of 7. I gave Metro an honest try until January, when I broke down and installed Classic Shell, a program that brings back the standard start menu and lets you turn off a number of the Metro-isms.

Heh, I got a new machine recently with Win 8. I tried it out and was wondering what all the fuss was about. It seemed pretty normal to me. Then I realized that the store, NCIX, installed Classic Shell when they built the machine. It was the only thing other than the OS that they installed.

I agree with your assessment. Performance-wise, it's excellent. But the moment a Win8 Metro app opens, I alt-F4 as quickly as possible to get back to the regular Desktop.

Kye_Tyrad

First Post
I understand and can navigate fairly well, but I am not a big fan of the Metro screen look. I really wish there was an option to use either the classic or Metro mode rather than a separate install, but regardless now that Morrus posted that classicshell, I will have to download it and that will make it easier to swallow.

GreyLord

Legend
I actually am one of the few that have absolutely LOVED the new Start Screen (instead of the start menu). What I've done is any heavily used program I've attached there at the front, I can organize it so that instead of a click to open the start menu, find it on the menu, and then click to open (older windows), all I do is click it on the start screen and the program opens.

Furthermore, for work, I have great ideas. We lock everything except the necessary programs and put them on the start screen, that kills all the extra stuff the workers do on the work computers (I mean they have their phones and everything else there that they can also use for browsing...let's use work computers for work...meaning hopefully...no more killer virus's downloaded because they went to the wrong sites).

On the otherhand, despite enjoying the start screen...or metro or whatever they call it...I ABSOLUTELY LOATHE Windows 8. Half (actually maybe more) of the programs that were compatible with Win7 are NOT compatible with Win8. I'm not certain what they changed, but somehow many of the programs that worked under Win7 are NOT compatible under Win8.

If you are a gamer for example...do NOT get Win8. Especially if you are classic gamer. Most of the older games do not work. I think they tightened piracy controls...which may not be a bad thing except it now doesn't allow over 50% of the legitimate programs to run. I can get more compatibility out of a Mac which is not predesigned to run Windows than I can out of Win8...

Half (actually maybe more) of the programs that were compatible with Win7 are NOT compatible with Win8.
If you are a gamer for example...do NOT get Win8. Especially if you are classic gamer. Most of the older games do not work.

I am legitimately curious to know what programs you are having compatibility problems with. I have actually found Win8 to be one of the most backwards-compatible OS upgrades I ever had to deal with. All of my heavy duty image processing programs are running fine, Java is no more or less painful than before, my DOS emulator is chugging along (sans sound) just like it used to, and even most of my hardware drivers are showing no bugs. What's been broken for you?

What I've done is any heavily used program I've attached there at the front ... all I do is click it on the start screen and the program opens.
Furthermore, for work, I have great ideas. We lock everything except the necessary programs and put them on the start screen, that kills all the extra stuff the workers do on the work computers

Frankly, everything you just described is trivial on any Windows platform since XP: create a desktop icon to the programs you want used, set user login permissions to lock out anything you don't want them to have access to. And if you don't properly lock things in Win8, they'll still be available to anyone using Metro's search function.

i'm using the windows 8 environment both for private as for professional use. I'm Sr. application manager at a large company (sanoma media). I love the quick startup (yes i know what they do... how they do it etc.) i have no problems et all with the missing start button drama. (i could not find anything in it anyway, endi g up dropping all important things in taskbar and/or desktop. The metro skin is something i rarely see, although i use it occasionally to find an app. The best thing is the dual screen taskbar layout, the windows button actually does something usefull and well... i guess by now you know i'm a fan :)

GreyLord

Legend
I am legitimately curious to know what programs you are having compatibility problems with. I have actually found Win8 to be one of the most backwards-compatible OS upgrades I ever had to deal with. All of my heavy duty image processing programs are running fine, Java is no more or less painful than before, my DOS emulator is chugging along (sans sound) just like it used to, and even most of my hardware drivers are showing no bugs. What's been broken for you?

It's absolutely horrendous. There are multiple work programs which we DO NOT WISH TO BUY again that do not work.

However, for the more common elements, talking simply on games, none of the craft series (such as warcraft, starcraft, etc...even the updated versions which worked under Win7) seem to work. Diablo does not work, Rise of Nations does not work, Star Fleet Command 1, 2, and 3 do not work, arcanum does not work, Conquest frontier wars does not work...in fact anything that was over 7 years old that was compatible or had work arounds to work on Win7 do NOT work. Unless you only utilize programs from the past 5 years...it's most likely not going to work, and when it does it's hit and miss what will or what won't work.

You'd think that with a Win7 base they'd utilize the same backwards compatibility, but no, they didn't.

Part of it is that it appears they strengthened the "anti-piracy" protocols, but in doing so they basically negated many of the older programs and disabled them from working.

Hence, unless a company wants to buy all new software, or a gamer wants to abandon most of their old games...it's useless.

Love it for the new programs and how we can organize the interface, but for older programs and compatibility, it's the worst release yet.

DnD_Dad

First Post
Windows 8 is getting everything and everyone who keeps up ready to have interchangeable workstations for their own pc. It's paving the way for anyone who has a legitimate license to be able to upload your computer via cloud so you can go on any device(pc, Xbox, phone) and you can just log in and bam, your computer is right there. Windows 8 is pretty cool. Check it out if you can get it for free or if your still running 7 or vista there's no need to upgrade. Your computer is already getting everything it needs to run great.

for old crap use old crap pc. runs fine
backward compatibilty has always been annoying since there is alwayssomeone summing up old crap from 1984 "my zork wont work"
the majority of people wont play old crap because it is old crap.
keep using windows 95...

last time this kind of discussion popped up and incompatibility was a huuuge issue the user was just summing up stuff from long time passed and at the end he didnt own the games, didnt even have a windows machine.

hmm sorry i am such a Pain it the A** i was just annoyed by the simplicity of the statement.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases