Windows 8?

However, for the more common elements, talking simply on games, none of the craft series (such as warcraft, starcraft, etc...even the updated versions which worked under Win7) seem to work. Diablo does not work, Rise of Nations does not work, Star Fleet Command 1, 2, and 3 do not work, arcanum does not work, Conquest frontier wars does not work...in fact anything that was over 7 years old that was compatible or had work arounds to work on Win7 do NOT work. Unless you only utilize programs from the past 5 years...it's most likely not going to work, and when it does it's hit and miss what will or what won't work.

You'd think that with a Win7 base they'd utilize the same backwards compatibility, but no, they didn't.

I can't speak to all of the games you mentioned, but I pulled out an old copy of Diablo over the weekend and found that it worked just fine in Win8. But you do have to be running as an administrator (it failed from my Guest account that has no permissions). I was also able to get Unreal to run, a couple of other pre-XP games. I think you may just be dealing with permissions issues; the actual compatibility seems perfectly fine. If you'd like to post screen shots of any of the errors you've seen in Diablo (since it's the only one on your list I can test), I'd be happy to take a look and see if I can help you ID the problem.

Part of it is that it appears they strengthened the "anti-piracy" protocols, but in doing so they basically negated many of the older programs and disabled them from working.

Frankly, I blame non-conformance with security settings on a publisher, not the OS. But regardless of where you want to place the blame, you can usually override the safety settings without too much difficulty. If you have any problems that can't be overridden by running a program as an Administrator, just turn off the Data Execution Prevention. Details can be found here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-Data-Execution-Prevention-settings

GreyLord

Legend
I can't speak to all of the games you mentioned, but I pulled out an old copy of Diablo over the weekend and found that it worked just fine in Win8. But you do have to be running as an administrator (it failed from my Guest account that has no permissions). I was also able to get Unreal to run, a couple of other pre-XP games. I think you may just be dealing with permissions issues; the actual compatibility seems perfectly fine. If you'd like to post screen shots of any of the errors you've seen in Diablo (since it's the only one on your list I can test), I'd be happy to take a look and see if I can help you ID the problem.

Frankly, I blame non-conformance with security settings on a publisher, not the OS. But regardless of where you want to place the blame, you can usually override the safety settings without too much difficulty. If you have any problems that can't be overridden by running a program as an Administrator, just turn off the Data Execution Prevention. Details can be found here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-Data-Execution-Prevention-settings

Are you absolutely certain you had Diablo working over the weekend. Starcraft and other craft games are KNOWN issues with Win7 and would not run, and Diablo had graphical glitches that made it impossible to play on Win7. However, there were workarounds which MS was made aware of and which worked to get the games running and working correctly on Win7. Some people made patches even to incorporate these workarounds so that you didn't have to manually do the workarounds to get those games to work.

MS for some reason, instead of building off the Win7 base and utlizing it, instead appear to have closed off the work arounds and disabled any manual patches making it impossible to run an older copy. Unless you buy it directly from Blizzard (not certain if you still can, but they may sell the NEW copy which runs for Win8 off their site for download, which could be why they disabled ALL older copies with Win8) you shouldn't be able to run an older copy of Diablo at this point.

If you can, you probably should inform MS and others...on the otherhand, maybe you shouldn't because MS probably will incorporate that into the next patch to disable however you got it running as well.

GSHamster

Adventurer
Unless you buy it directly from Blizzard (not certain if you still can, but they may sell the NEW copy which runs for Win8 off their site for download, which could be why they disabled ALL older copies with Win8) you shouldn't be able to run an older copy of Diablo at this point.

If you have an copy of an old Blizzard game, you can register the product key on battle.net, and you can download the latest client from them.

Jhaelen

First Post
Starcraft and other craft games are KNOWN issues with Win7 and would not run, and Diablo had graphical glitches that made it impossible to play on Win7.
Starcraft works fine under Windows 7 (64-bit even) after updating the client. There was a minor issue about wrong colours in the loading screen but that was easily fixed (by making a change in the regristry, iirc).

Are you absolutely certain you had Diablo working over the weekend.

Yes. Absolutely. No patches required. And I'm not the only one:

http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/off-topic/52719-working-with-windows-8-operating-system#52729

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3C_f5k9XynY

MS for some reason, instead of building off the Win7 base and utlizing it, instead appear to have closed off the work arounds and disabled any manual patches making it impossible to run an older copy. Unless you buy it directly from Blizzard (not certain if you still can, but they may sell the NEW copy which runs for Win8 off their site for download, which could be why they disabled ALL older copies with Win8) you shouldn't be able to run an older copy of Diablo at this point.

If you can, you probably should inform MS and others...on the otherhand, maybe you shouldn't because MS probably will incorporate that into the next patch to disable however you got it running as well.

Win8 is actually heavily based off of Win7 and uses... wait... what? Are you saying that Microsoft intentionally destroyed backwards compatibility so Blizzard can sell more software?

GreyLord

Legend
If you have an copy of an old Blizzard game, you can register the product key on battle.net, and you can download the latest client from them.

I mentioned that...but if you have the original games you can't play them...it's downloading the client...

Uhhhmm...so you are using a pirated game?

I'm not certain you should use that as your example for legitimate software users.

You REALLY should tell MS about that..I hear they aren't too fond of pirates and hackers.

AS I said, half the programs aren't working...glad to hear someone is hacking and using a hacked system...not certain that's what I would say.

Regardless, despite what some people are hyping...I've been using windows since 3.1 and at this point I'm considering that if they make the companies upgrade...being one MORE of the HORDES of people that have been migrating to Apple.

MS at this point is their own worst enemy. They made some bad mistakes with Vista...and they've continued with Win8.

I will argue in support of some of the things, but destroying backwards compatibility wins them no favors in this regard and only speeds up the numbers migrating to other systems, ways of working it, and ways of doing things.

I don't have a problem with Metro...it's with their compatibility. We'll see what SP1 and 2 do, but when it's time to migrate at this time the company probably isn't going to be doing any contracts with MS this time around, and from what I hear on the business front I'm not the only one despite what some MS gung ho's are saying.

It could be the MS curse though, every odd OS stinks...and then they repair it. Vista also had some massive compatibility problems which they fixed up with Win7, along with boot times and other problems. IF the repair some damage with their next OS it may be able to migrate to it, but currently, though I actually like their Metro setup.....Win8 is a nogo for compatibility.

It doesn't matter if YOU can do it, it matters if our tech guys can do it for our systems, if they can't...it's a no go for us.

Jhaelen

First Post
They made some bad mistakes with Vista...and they've continued with Win8.
Not quite. Inbetween they released Windows 7 which fixed the mistakes they made with Vista.
I'm kind of hoping and expecting that the mistakes in Windows 8 will be fixed with the next release, too. Unless Microsoft intends to abandon the corporate market completely, they'll have to reverse some of the changes they made with Windows 8. As it is, it's unusable in a working environment.

Remove ads