Hexographer Question

Oversquid

First Post
First off, this thread is about this program called Hexographer that I am looking into: http://www.hexographer.com/features-list/

Now, I am wondering if any of you people have worked with this program, and out of the people who did, I have one question for you...

Does the content that you make on this program have an easy access ability to link to a group of people on the internet, and have whatever map you made via Hexographer be seen and edited by those people you linked the map to like it was Google Documents?

I DM a group via IRC, and I want to know if this program would be a good one to use via IRC.

I hope my request made sense to you guys.

P.S. I tried to register to the forums, but I keep an error message so I can't validate my account, so I just figured you guys would be a good alternative.

Cheers guys!

InkwellIdeas

Adventurer
Publisher
I made a manual backup of the Hexographer website which went awry and may be causing some server issues. I expect to have it straightened out today.

There are 3 ways you can share your maps with others:
-Email or post the .hxm file (I don't use google docs much, so I don't know if that's a good venue to share it) and let someone open it in Hexographer on their own computer.
-Export the image to png (using the "File" menu) and email/share that instead so the other folks don't need to have Hexographer.
-Go to the File menu and choose "Upload". You can upload the whole map or select a section. It will upload it to our server and give you a link to share with others so they can view it. Note: so the server doesn't get full the image you upload is scaled down to 800 pixels on the larger side. (1200 in the pro version.)

Feel free to follow up here, or a pm or at support at inkwellideas dot com.

Oversquid

First Post
I made a manual backup of the Hexographer website which went awry and may be causing some server issues. I expect to have it straightened out today.

There are 3 ways you can share your maps with others:
-Email or post the .hxm file (I don't use google docs much, so I don't know if that's a good venue to share it) and let someone open it in Hexographer on their own computer.
-Export the image to png (using the "File" menu) and email/share that instead so the other folks don't need to have Hexographer.
-Go to the File menu and choose "Upload". You can upload the whole map or select a section. It will upload it to our server and give you a link to share with others so they can view it. Note: so the server doesn't get full the image you upload is scaled down to 800 pixels on the larger side. (1200 in the pro version.)

Feel free to follow up here, or a pm or at support at inkwellideas dot com.
Thanks Joe!

Next question, if I were to buy the Pro form of Hexographer, and my other players only got the Free version of Hexographer, would the players be able to see some of the features only found in the Pro form, such as Child Maps?

I hope that question made sense too.

InkwellIdeas

Adventurer
Publisher
Well, you'll be able to do those things in the pro version, they'll just see the result. So if you make a map in the pro and share it, others will only be able to see & edit that version. If you make a child map in the pro version they'll get it when you send them the new/revised .hxm file. Then they can view and edit the changes (change terrain, etc.) but they won't be able to make a new child map. They will need someone with the pro version to make the child map, but they can edit it later. Does that clear it up?

Oversquid

First Post
Well, you'll be able to do those things in the pro version, they'll just see the result. So if you make a map in the pro and share it, others will only be able to see & edit that version. If you make a child map in the pro version they'll get it when you send them the new/revised .hxm file. Then they can view and edit the changes (change terrain, etc.) but they won't be able to make a new child map. They will need someone with the pro version to make the child map, but they can edit it later. Does that clear it up?
I think so, so if I get the Pro version, and the others only have the Free Version, then I have to manually change to the Child Map for them?

InkwellIdeas

Adventurer
Publisher
I think so, so if I get the Pro version, and the others only have the Free Version, then I have to manually change to the Child Map for them?

Well, the child map feature just lets you create a new map (at a small scale) from a parent map. Generally, you'd still keep that top level map and save the child map with a different filename and edit it to add more detail... vary the terrain a bit more, add icons for smaller cities/villages, etc. Then you can share the file for the child map. But once the child map is created, they are essentially different entities. (Changes to one don't affect the other.)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases