BATTLE OF THE BARDS - Heat 1

Vote for the winner of BATTLE OF THE BARDS - HEAT 1!

• HIRELING! by Nathaniel Webb of Nashville Tennessee

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • I PUT MY LOW STAT by Mary Crowell of Athens, Alabama

Votes: 33 68.8%
  • D&D BABY by Faconis and Tinka of Hilo, Hawaii

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • DOWN TO THE DUNGEON by The Friends of Gravity, Victoria BC, Canada

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • OPTIMIZED by Matt James of Washington, DC

Votes: 4 8.3%

• Poll closed .

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I really don't want anymore votes. The song is a novelty. Mary's is much, much better.

Morrus, can I pull put of the contest?

What, and invalidate the votes of all those who loved your song? We'd have to start again. What if all those people would have voted for HIRELING if your hadn't entered?

Last edited:

Mary_Crowell

First Post
I agree completely with Morrus! Please, do not withdraw from the contest, Matt. This is not only fun and cool, but it's introducing everyone to 28 gaming songs! And really that's just the tip of the ice berg. There are many wonderful gaming songs out there written by filkers who game, gamers who filk, and just folks writing about the Hobby for the love of it.

(Off topic: Could someone tell me how to link to people's profile? Is that the GM tags? Just private message me.)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
(Off topic: Could someone tell me how to link to people's profile? Is that the GM tags? Just private message me.)

You just stick an @ in front of their username. That links to their profile and notifies them that they were mentioned.

Like this: [MENTION=6701853]Mary_Crowell[/MENTION]

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I agree completely with Morrus! Please, do not withdraw from the contest, Matt. This is not only fun and cool, but it's introducing everyone to 28 gaming songs! And really that's just the tip of the ice berg. There are many wonderful gaming songs out there written by filkers who game, gamers who filk, and just folks writing about the Hobby for the love of it.
Based on this heat I'd not define you as a filker but as a songwriter. Matt's is a filk, where filk implies rewording someone else's song to say what you want it to. Yours and ours are songs. Both, in this setting, are perfectly valid ways of getting our points across. :)

Lan-"3rd place and holding"-efan

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Based on this heat I'd not define you as a filker but as a songwriter. Matt's is a filk, where filk implies rewording someone else's song to say what you want it to. Yours and ours are songs. Both, in this setting, are perfectly valid ways of getting our points across. :)

Lan-"3rd place and holding"-efan

As I understand it, parodies are a sub-genre of filk. Filk is music with a sci-fi/fantasy theme, not just those which use somebody else's song.

ddvmor

I'm a little teapot!
I, for one, had never heard the term 'filk' before this competition. It sounds like like it should be rude. :)

Mary_Crowell

First Post
As I understand it, parodies are a sub-genre of filk. Filk is music with a sci-fi/fantasy theme, not just those which use somebody else's song.
[MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION], yes. And there are many wiki entries, live journal posts, and the like trying to define what filk is. Because, at a given filk convention you will hear many sci-fi/fantasy songs but people mix in songs on other topics too. The sci fi/fantasy is more of a 'leaning.'

Filk does have a strong tradition of parody too. 'To filk' something means to parody it. Parodies are good ways to build up your lyricist chops because you can learn about verse scansion without actually having to also compose a melody and find chords. Many filkers do both parodies and original songs. A fine parody (one that takes into account the original song, stays true to the scansion and possibly even the rhyme scheme, and maintains some of the lines of the original song) wins accolades.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Filk does have a strong tradition of parody too. 'To filk' something means to parody it. Parodies are good ways to build up your lyricist chops because you can learn about verse scansion without actually having to also compose a melody and find chords. Many filkers do both parodies and original songs. A fine parody (one that takes into account the original song, stays true to the scansion and possibly even the rhyme scheme, and maintains some of the lines of the original song) wins accolades.
Personally I always call them "rewordings" rather than "parodies", as the word parody to me implies intentions of humour and-or mockery*, neither of which are always the case. Sometimes you're just taking an existing tune and putting new words to it that say what you want to say with no humour in sight.

* - Weird Al's stuff is nearly always what I'd call parody, as he's usually going for the laugh and sometimes seems to be mocking the original song as well.

Lanefan

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Personally I always call them "rewordings" rather than "parodies", as the word parody to me implies intentions of humour and-or mockery*,

That's certainly true of general useage of the word; I think that in the music environment it has its own meaning which is different to that. That's a fairly common phenomenon - industries, genres, institutions, organizations, and environments having their own meaning for common English words.

What does "initiative" mean in the context of D&D, for example? Certainly not the same thing a person interviewing for a stockbroker's job sees it to mean.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases