WotC High-Level Play

What's on your mind?

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High-Level Play

Hybrid View

High-Level Play

What level do you play to when you??re playing Dungeons & Dragons? Do you go beyond 10th level with a given character with any amount of regularity? If not, why? If so, what do you want to see your character do at those higher levels? Mike takes a look at some of the things that the D&D Next team is addressingwith high-level play in the next few months.

Read High-Level Play on D&D Insider here!

Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

Ignore Grimmjow
    looks epic.

the legacy system sounds fun (epic destiny?)

The lich thing sounds cool. I hope they do it properly. I want to become a lich at level 11, and spend the next 10 levels building an undead army and trying to take over the world (eventually becoming the BBEG in someone else's story).

But yeah, the legacy system sounds cool. Not sure how they're going to justify why you have to kill X monsters before you can figure out how to hire people to build a castle, but it's all very pleasingly old-school.

Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

Ignore Grimmjow
    perhaps by the time your level 10 people respect you enough to become your followers

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmjow View Post
    perhaps by the time your level 10 people respect you enough to become your followers
    So people, under no circumstances, will respect anyone unless he has killed 1472342 goblins and reached level 10 no matter his birth or deeds?

In the end this is just a continuation of epic destinies coupled with AD&Ds 10th level requirement.
    Lets see if WotC actually manages to make it about more then power for dungeon crawling and if the rest of the system is actually able to handle political etc. gameplay.

Scout (Lvl 6)

Blog Entries

Ignore nijineko
    My communities:

anyone have any actual thoughts on the 3.x epic destinies mechanics?
    http://crystalballsoft.com/cblite.html The best dice roller on the planet.

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Ignore Mon
    Quote Originally Posted by Derren View Post
    So people, under no circumstances, will respect anyone unless he has killed 1472342 goblins and reached level 10 no matter his birth or deeds?
    Not at all. It is merely one way to do it. The way used by (some) adventurers who have proven themselves to the masses through their deeds.

A guy born as the crown prince does the same thing an entirely different way (and possibly the adventurer ways as well if he's also a PC).
    Cheers, Mon.

Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

Ignore Grimmjow
    Quote Originally Posted by Derren View Post

In the end this is just a continuation of epic destinies coupled with AD&Ds 10th level requirement.
    Lets see if WotC actually manages to make it about more then power for dungeon crawling and if the rest of the system is actually able to handle political etc. gameplay.
    well i dont know about the rest of the people here but by the time im playing level 3+ im not fighting goblins anymore. By the time your level 10 your becoming famous for the deeds you done. It might be slaying a powerful enemy, delving into many dangerous dungeons, or killing 1472342 goblins but people are starting to see that you've got something special about you.

If you stand up in the town square at level one whose going to take you seriously when you ask people to help you build a castle and an army? When you come back after kill 1million + goblins, people may take you a little more seriously

Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

I Defended The Walls!

Ignore delericho
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by Wizards of the Coast View Post
    [size=3]What level do you play to when you - re playing Dungeons & Dragons?
    I mostly play 3e, and usually start campaigns at 1st level. We therefore mostly play low-level (1-5), although we generally venture somewhere into the mid-levels (6-12) before the campaign ends.

Do you go beyond 10th level with a given character with any amount of regularity?
    The last campaign to venture into the high levels (13+), or in fact anything above 10th, was Shackled City, which was 6+ years ago. I'm hopeful that my current campaign will reach approx 15th level before it ends in May. However, I have little to no interest in going into the very high levels again.

If not, why?
    Four factors:

1) There's always the possibility of a TPK ending the campaign.

2) I've found that my campaigns tend to have a limited lifespan - after about 6 months both my players and I are becoming a little restless, and ready to look forward to the next thing. In order to sustain interest for longer, a campaign needs careful planning right from the outset - Shackled City had it, "The Eberron Code" has it, but most of my campaigns tend not to get that level of planning.

3) Bluntly, the sheer weight of the 3e system starts to grate on me even at quite low levels, and only ever gets worse. Playing in the mid-level range is still a lot of fun, but once the game gets to 10th level or so, it starts to become more trouble than it's worth. Given that I'm already losing interest by that point (see above), there's little reason to fight the system for diminishing returns.

4) I have a 'rule' that if any one of my significant* players moves away, then I'll wrap up the current campaign before they go, both to give them closure on the story, and also to give them and their characters a fitting send-off. This has caused two campaigns to end, one at 8th level and one at 10th.

* That is, the guys who were there at the start of the campaign and who have regularly attended throughout.

If so, what do you want to see your character do at those higher levels?
    All of the stuff in the article seems pretty good.

My experience with the game with various groups suggests that it would probably be preferable if starting characters were rather tougher (but not necessarily more competent) than 1st level 3e characters, that the power curve should be a lot flatter than is currently the case (but that they should gain something significant at every level), and that they should probably plateau in terms of complexity around that mid-level range. This doesn't mean they shouldn't become any more powerful... but generally that extra power should come by upgrading existing options with more powerful variants and/or replacing obselete powers with new ones.

Or, heretical as it may be, starting everyone at 6th level and then playing E6 - effectively dropping levels entirely.

Guide (Lvl 11)

Ignore avin
    I don't think followers and companions should be tied to levels. I've played and DMed games where the party was so far away from civilized lands that when they returned to a city nobody could tell what they were doing.

Unless people are attracted by the equipment they're using, something else should be used to attract followers.

That said, the kind of games where players get stronger and hire lower levels to deal with lower troubles is something I've tried and works well.
    F I G H T E R

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast