General D&D Topics* Where would you put a D&D museum?

Poll: Where would you put a D&D museum?

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    The Guvnor
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Reviews
    Read 2 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    13th AgeSupermanCircvs MaximvsENniesPathfinderZEITGEISTDoctor Who

Ignore Morrus

Where would you put a D&D museum?

Inspired by a Facebook comment by Luke Gygax (and the ensuing discussion) I figured this was an interesting topic for discussion. Luke asked whether Lake Geneva was a special place to D&D gamers - for various reasons, including GenCon's birth, TSR's headquarters, and much more. However, other suggestions for a potential museum have included Indianapolis (the current home of Gen Con) and Renton (the current home of WotC) and Orlando in Florida (the current home of... Mickey Mouse?)

Most people in that discussion favoured Lake Geneva as a museum location. I personally favour Gen Con's current home, Indianapolis, because I feel that a museum's purpose isn't to be "appropriate" (it's not to be inappropriate, of course, either) but to bring its contents to people who would otherwise be unable to access them. That's why you get exhibits of Greek art and don't have to go to Greece to see them. And, similarly, I personally feel that a D&D museum's purpose is for the people and the fans - and they gather in their thousands in Indy every year. What a great addition to a vacation spent at Gen Con - a D&D museum, too!

I think it's especially suitable for those of us further away - I'm not likely to take an intercontinental vacation to Lake Geneva to see one museum, however great it is; but I would certainly see it if it were in the same town as Gen Con, which I'm able to travel to once every few years.

Others rightly pointed out that Gen Con was but once a year; and that's an excellent point.

What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Orlando, FL - it is all about promoting the games and Orlando is a kid mecca. Think it would get more foot traffic and be more of an impact.
    Signature:
    All I need is minions and I would rule the world.

Links updated: 2010.Oct.23
    Threads to reference:

DM ADVICE ---Maps and Other Campaign Resources --

The Guvnor

Reviews
    Read 2 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Ignore Morrus
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand of Evil View Post
    Orlando, FL - it is all about promoting the games and Orlando is a kid mecca. Think it would get more foot traffic and be more of an impact.
    I can see that argument. But I'm not sold that the purpose of a museum is promotion. That could be a useful side-benefit, of course, but you go to an Ancient Greek art museum because you like Ancient Greek art; it isn't there to promote Ancient Greece to you. So for me, I think it needs to be somewhere convenient for existing D&D players.

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Bluenose
    Indianapolis seems like a good idea. I think you could expect a lot of visitors during GenCon.

Although saying that, how many at other times of the year? Maybe I should have thought a little more before voting.

Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!

Ignore Klaus
    Indianapolis already has a Children's Museum. I could see a permanent D&D wing there, sponsored by GenCon/WotC/etc.

Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore jasper
    Back of my house. One I need the money. Two the amount of traffic would not increase. Three may get rid of the other weirdoes in the neighborhood.
    Bad players ruin any game. That includes RPG, online, sports, poker and pretend.

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!

Ignore Lord Rasputin

Minneapolis

I'll vouch for my hometown, Minneapolis, and here's why: modern roleplaying was born here, in Dave Arneson's hometown.
    Non mortuus qui aeternus esse potest
    etsi inusitati veniant, mors cedat.

The Guvnor

Reviews
    Read 2 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Ignore Morrus
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Rasputin View Post
    I'll vouch for my hometown, Minneapolis, and here's why: modern roleplaying was born here, in Dave Arneson's hometown.
    See, like I said earlier, I can't agree with that reasoning. Should all Ancient Greek Art exhibits be in Greece? If I think about some of the many fantastic museums in London -- we wouldn't move them to Africa and Asia -- and there's one about Canada; should it be moved to Canada? A couple of cool museums featuring Ancient Roman stuff - should they be in Rome?

Museums are about bringing things to people that they wouldn't normally be able to see. They're there for the benefit of people. So IMO, we should put them where people are. In this case, put it where D&D players are so that they can benefit from it.
    Last edited by Morrus; Monday, 5th November, 2012 at 01:50 PM.

Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Glyfair
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
    See, like I said earlier, I can't agree with that reasoning. Should all Ancient Greek Art exhibits be in Greece?
    However, if there was only one Ancient Greek Art museum, wouldn't it be odd to have none in Greece?

The sentimental choice is Lake Geneva. The practical choices are Seattle and Indianapolis.

Of the practical choices, I go for Seattle, as there are more roleplaying resources in that area. Someone interested in roleplaying could make it a theme trip. Indianapolis is only practical until GenCon moves again (although GenCon could set up an exhibit of roleplaying history every year).

The best possible outcome would be to have one in Lake Geneva, Minneapolis, Seattle, all tied to their part in D&D's history. I am not certain even small museums could be supported that way.
    David A. Blizzard

"The only constant I am sure of is this accelerating rate of change" - Downside Up by Peter Gabriel

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore callinostros
    Lake Geneva. Really such a museum is a "destination" location; people go there for the museum, not what else is there. However, Lake Geneva is close enough to other places, so while it would not be in a more interesting place such as Indianapolis, it is a quick ride to other places.

My real question is...what would you put in it? 4E? Pathfinder? All rpgs?

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast