Where would you put a D&D museum?

Where would you put a D&D museum?

• Lake Geneva, WI (birth of GenCon, TSR)

Votes: 90 68.7%
  • Orlando, FL

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Indianapolis, IN (current home of Gen Con)

Votes: 20 15.3%
  • Renton, WA (home of WotC)

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • Other (please explain below)

Votes: 11 8.4%

Lake Geneva. Yes, it's sentimental. Also, a D&D museum is going to attract a fairly select group. Gamers. Short of dropping it into the lobby of a major airport its not going to attract a lot of stray visitors. A pilgimage to Lake Geneva sounds like a Geek road trip to me. I'd take it.

Adventure

First Post
Obvious answer

While I live in Washington State and would love to have this nearby, that would not be the right thing to do.

This museum (if one is built), belongs in Lake Geneva. The birthplace of D&D and home of Gary Gygax. People will make the trip to visit it. Just because GEN CON is in Indy doesn't mean it always will be.

Building something like this in Lake Geneva is the right thing to do.

Let me know when it has been built, my family will find a way to make the trip.

JustinAlexander

First Post
I'll vouch for my hometown, Minneapolis, and here's why: modern roleplaying was born here, in Dave Arneson's hometown.

I'll second this: It's the true birthplace of the game, it's got a large population base, it's got a vibrant gaming community, and it's got a political climate that's conducive to museums.

Lake Geneva doesn't make sense to me: No infrastructure, no population, no current presence by the producers of the game, and it's not the ultimate origin point of the game.

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
Lake Geneva doesn't make sense to me: No infrastructure, no population...

I disagree here. Lake Geneva is already a vacation destination, able to handle a large number of visitors. It has a low local population, but they are dwarfed in the summer when the vacation crowd hits. Not that the rest of your opinion on a museum location is invalid, just that I believe the above two comments are misinformed.

Kaodi

Hero
I voted Lake Geneva for the sentimental reasons.

I am not a big fan of putting it in Indianapolis. I mean, for everyone who cannot go there to see GenCon, they sure as heck are not going to go there to see the D&D Museum. When sentimentality is not involved, might it not be better to spread out the D&D love a bit?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases