Where would you put a D&D museum?

Where would you put a D&D museum?

• Lake Geneva, WI (birth of GenCon, TSR)

Votes: 90 68.7%
  • Orlando, FL

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Indianapolis, IN (current home of Gen Con)

Votes: 20 15.3%
  • Renton, WA (home of WotC)

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • Other (please explain below)

Votes: 11 8.4%

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Inspired by a Facebook comment by Luke Gygax (and the ensuing discussion) I figured this was an interesting topic for discussion. Luke asked whether Lake Geneva was a special place to D&D gamers - for various reasons, including GenCon's birth, TSR's headquarters, and much more. However, other suggestions for a potential museum have included Indianapolis (the current home of Gen Con) and Renton (the current home of WotC) and Orlando in Florida (the current home of... Mickey Mouse?)

Most people in that discussion favoured Lake Geneva as a museum location. I personally favour Gen Con's current home, Indianapolis, because I feel that a museum's purpose isn't to be "appropriate" (it's not to be inappropriate, of course, either) but to bring its contents to people who would otherwise be unable to access them. That's why you get exhibits of Greek art and don't have to go to Greece to see them. And, similarly, I personally feel that a D&D museum's purpose is for the people and the fans - and they gather in their thousands in Indy every year. What a great addition to a vacation spent at Gen Con - a D&D museum, too!

I think it's especially suitable for those of us further away - I'm not likely to take an intercontinental vacation to Lake Geneva to see one museum, however great it is; but I would certainly see it if it were in the same town as Gen Con, which I'm able to travel to once every few years.

Others rightly pointed out that Gen Con was but once a year; and that's an excellent point.

What do you think?

Attachments

• gg.png
    gg.png
    37.5 KB · Views: 274

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Orlando, FL - it is all about promoting the games and Orlando is a kid mecca. Think it would get more foot traffic and be more of an impact.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Orlando, FL - it is all about promoting the games and Orlando is a kid mecca. Think it would get more foot traffic and be more of an impact.

I can see that argument. But I'm not sold that the purpose of a museum is promotion. That could be a useful side-benefit, of course, but you go to an Ancient Greek art museum because you like Ancient Greek art; it isn't there to promote Ancient Greece to you. So for me, I think it needs to be somewhere convenient for existing D&D players.

Bluenose

Adventurer
Indianapolis seems like a good idea. I think you could expect a lot of visitors during GenCon.

Although saying that, how many at other times of the year? Maybe I should have thought a little more before voting.

jasper

Rotten DM
Back of my house. One I need the money. Two the amount of traffic would not increase. Three may get rid of the other weirdoes in the neighborhood.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'll vouch for my hometown, Minneapolis, and here's why: modern roleplaying was born here, in Dave Arneson's hometown.

See, like I said earlier, I can't agree with that reasoning. Should all Ancient Greek Art exhibits be in Greece? If I think about some of the many fantastic museums in London -- we wouldn't move them to Africa and Asia -- and there's one about Canada; should it be moved to Canada? A couple of cool museums featuring Ancient Roman stuff - should they be in Rome?

Museums are about bringing things to people that they wouldn't normally be able to see. They're there for the benefit of people. So IMO, we should put them where people are. In this case, put it where D&D players are so that they can benefit from it.

Last edited:

Glyfair

Explorer
See, like I said earlier, I can't agree with that reasoning. Should all Ancient Greek Art exhibits be in Greece?
However, if there was only one Ancient Greek Art museum, wouldn't it be odd to have none in Greece?

The sentimental choice is Lake Geneva. The practical choices are Seattle and Indianapolis.

Of the practical choices, I go for Seattle, as there are more roleplaying resources in that area. Someone interested in roleplaying could make it a theme trip. Indianapolis is only practical until GenCon moves again (although GenCon could set up an exhibit of roleplaying history every year).

The best possible outcome would be to have one in Lake Geneva, Minneapolis, Seattle, all tied to their part in D&D's history. I am not certain even small museums could be supported that way.

callinostros

Explorer
Lake Geneva. Really such a museum is a "destination" location; people go there for the museum, not what else is there. However, Lake Geneva is close enough to other places, so while it would not be in a more interesting place such as Indianapolis, it is a quick ride to other places.

My real question is...what would you put in it? 4E? Pathfinder? All rpgs?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases