Disney Sniffing Around Hasbro?

Azgulor

Adventurer
So after years of hearing people decrying the evils of Hasbro corporate suits micromanaging WotC into any of the perceived ills the D&D brand has suffered, unreasonable profit expectations, and ham-fisted protection of intellectual property, the mere rumor of Disney acquiring Hasbro and we’ve got “fellow gamers” actively hoping for Disney to find some way to bring a legal hammer down to eliminate all OGL games.

Explain to me again how eliminating Pathfinder, Mutants & Masterminds, the Marvel Superhero RPG, and others is good for the hobby?

For the Hasbro-evil-empire conspiracy theorists, how would the acquisition of WotC into an even larger corporation alleviate all of the “evils” of corporate ownership?

Yeah, glad all that edition warring on this website is behind us now…. :erm:

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Well I dont know about anyone else, but in my case it was wishful thinking

Even if the OGL conflicted with WotC during the 3x era, that's now in the past. Since you can't go back in time, there is no affect to current WotC products or business - so the existence of the OGL hurts no one.

I cannot think of a good reason for eliminating the OGL, especially for gamers, since the OGL provides a means to continue to publish varying game products from many companies - it's a win/win for publishers and gamers everywhere.

If you don't want to play an OGL product, don't, but it's existence does not affect you. What reason is there to be wishful that it was gone. There would be no benefit, only loss.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Well I have the wishfull thinking of once disney owns hasbro, it decides to keep the media rights for D&D and license out the actual game publishing rights to some other company such as Paizo or White Wolf.

CAFRedblade

Explorer
If Disney were/will buy Hasbro, it'll probably do what it's done for the other major acquisitions of Marvel, Pixar, and now Lucasfilm. Make it a subsidiary, who reports up the chain, eliminate some job duplication, put some money behind it to help things progress in development, but mostly leave the business decisions to the head(s) of the subsidiary.
As long as they are making money, all is good.
Will we see more cross development of product, most likely, especially in the toy department area. But owning the license to multiple products reduces development fees for those products. Think Hasbro no longer having to pay Lucasfilm to make(license) the StarWars toys, as Disney would own both companies.

Even if the OGL conflicted with WotC during the 3x era, that's now in the past. Since you can't go back in time, there is no affect to current WotC products or business - so the existence of the OGL hurts no one.

I cannot think of a good reason for eliminating the OGL, especially for gamers, since the OGL provides a means to continue to publish varying game products from many companies - it's a win/win for publishers and gamers everywhere.

If you don't want to play an OGL product, don't, but it's existence does not affect you. What reason is there to be wishful that it was gone. There would be no benefit, only loss.

You wish that the OGL would go away? What in the world for? Who could possibly benefit from that?

Well I loved Mutants and Masterminds, I belive they are doing better work by becomeing less like D20... However for the last few years piazo fans (and even one employee) have tried to claim there D&D retroclone is the true D&D. I have gotten very sick of hearing the edtion wariing that now has become system waring.

WHEN I sit to play a game I have a large group of games to choose from, rifts, shadow run, deadlands, WoD, Rifts, Star wars D6, plus a few others... or D&D... I liked alot of what piazo did in 3.5, and think they have some of (if not the) best adventures. However I am sick of being called out on pathfinder being true d&d, and 4e is dune.

Now in my mind Pathfinder is the leading retroclone, the most successful retro clone, and it has the best support of any retroclone, but when I hate the spite and bile thrown at 4e (it is even a little at nexr) and WoTC.

I would be just as happy if every jerk woke up tomorro saying "oh man why do I make others so angry" but I think the odds of that and the ogl going away are about the same

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Well I loved Mutants and Masterminds, I belive they are doing better work by becomeing less like D20... However for the last few years piazo fans (and even one employee) have tried to claim there D&D retroclone is the true D&D. I have gotten very sick of hearing the edtion wariing that now has become system waring.

There will always be those who enjoy beating a dead horse and never leave the Edition Wars behind.

While I am certainly a Pathfinder fan, in fact I'm a 3PP and freelance designer/cartographer for that system - I have no illusions of it being D&D. It's like D&D, plays very closely to 3.5, but IMO, already it's own thing, a separate system altogether. In fact, I have no desire to play D&D ever again, as it's PF for me, all the way.

I stopped listening/paying attention to the Edition Warriors a long time ago.

delericho

Legend
Explain to me again how eliminating Pathfinder, Mutants & Masterminds, the Marvel Superhero RPG, and others is good for the hobby?

It isn't. At the current point in time it would be good for WotC, but it would be a disaster for everyone else.

And, incidentally, the OGL was even a good thing for WotC right up until the point where they stopped using it. 3.5e had been (and at the time of cancellation, was still) phenomenally successful, and the OGL and third-party support was no small part of that.

Unfortunately, WotC mistook all the sales of third-party products as sales that they had 'lost' and that they thought rightfully belonged to them, so they decided on a non-OGL 4e. At which point the OGL stopped being of benefit to them, and turned into the worst weapon that could be used against them.

(Even so, that wouldn't have been a major problem if they had only left the magazine licenses with Paizo. Not renewing those licenses led directly to the creation of Pathfinder, and turned D&D's biggest cheerleaders into their #1 competitor. And it's very unlikely that any other company that Paizo would have been able to fill the 'Pathfinder' niche as effectively.)

If Disney were/will buy Hasbro, it'll probably do what it's done for the other major acquisitions of Marvel, Pixar, and now Lucasfilm. Make it a subsidiary, who reports up the chain, eliminate some job duplication, put some money behind it to help things progress in development, but mostly leave the business decisions to the head(s) of the subsidiary.
As long as they are making money, all is good.

Yep, this is exactly right. By far the most likely outcome (for D&D) of any merger will be "no change" - the Disney execs are no more likely to even notice the RPG than the Hasbro execs do currently.

With both companies, there is a pretty small chance that it will be noticed. At which point, what happens depends on whether it happens to be the 'right' person who notices it and the prevailing conditions in the company at the time. If the 'right' person notices and conditions are good, this could result in any number of good things. If the 'wrong' person notices, or the company feels the need to "concentrate on our core business", then the result is cancellation.

But that's true whether D&D is owned by Hasbro or by Disney.

WHEN I sit to play a game I have a large group of games to choose from, rifts, shadow run, deadlands, WoD, Rifts, Star wars D6, plus a few others... or D&D... I liked alot of what piazo did in 3.5, and think they have some of (if not the) best adventures. However I am sick of being called out on pathfinder being true d&d, and 4e is dune.

So you want to see an end to the fun of (at least) tens of thousands of people, plus an end to the employment of all the staff at Paizo (not to mention the resulting job losses in FLGS, distributors, and elsewhere in the chain), because of the actions of a handful of obnoxious internet posters? Isn't that a slight over-reaction?

Now in my mind Pathfinder is the leading retroclone, the most successful retro clone, and it has the best support of any retroclone, but when I hate the spite and bile thrown at 4e (it is even a little at nexr) and WoTC.

Pathfinder isn't a clone, retro- or otherwise. Indeed, there's now much more in the game that is not derived from the 3.5e roots than that which was taken from those roots. Your description of it as a 'retroclone' is no more accurate than a description of Pathfinder as "the true D&D". Given that both are inflamatory statements attacking one side in the "system wars", can you not see a certain irony in your position?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases